mirtazapine

Post any data on Treatments and experimentation.
Kk88

mirtazapine

Unread post by Kk88 »

Has anyone tried this?

AIM: Sexual dysfunction, common in schizophrenia, may be further exaggerated by antipsychotics, especially those of First Generation (FGAs), and antidepressants, such as Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRs). Mirtazapine, an antidepressant characterized by its different action mechanism compared with that of the majority of other antidepressants, may improve SSRI-induced sexual dysfunction in patients with depression. It is unknown, however, whether mirtazapine improves sexual functioning in schizophrenia.

METHODS: This study randomly assigned FGA-treated patients with schizophrenia to receive either an add-on mirtazapine (n = 20) or a placebo (n = 19) for 6 weeks. Sexual functioning was prospectively measured using five relevant items from the Udvalg for Kliniske Undersogelser side-effect rating scale (UKU-SERS).

RESULTS: Orgasmic function improved with statistical significance in the mirtazapine group (p = .03), with no changes in any other sexual functions in either group.

CONCLUSION: Add-on mirtazapine appears to relieve orgasmic dysfunction in FGA-treated patients with schizophrenia.

PMID 27701952 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Full text

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/2 ... ysfunction
Jaxx

Re: mirtazapine

Unread post by Jaxx »

I have (not for schizophrenia though). it was amazing to get sleep, helped (temporarily) with ED, no impact on libido howevery. I can see how it's preceived to be a weak antidepressant as it mainly made me fall into an instant sleep, and didnt do much else during the day.

First weeks you might feel dizzy drowsy during the day, but this will disappear. You might not be allowed to drive a car for first week, which was only fair looking at the impact it had on me.

But everyone is different, i didnt perceive any real downsides of it either, except for an insane appetite. I never woke up hungry before, but this got me up almost running to the fridge.
marsupial

Unread post by marsupial »

I tried. No benefit for PSSD I felt teribly tired whole day
Miguel29

Unread post by Miguel29 »

Does "relieve orgasmic dysfunction" refer to ejaculations or orgasms. I find one of the problems I've had since coming off mrds is that I don't experience any pleasure when I ejaculate. Do other people here have that problem? I'd be interested in trying Mirtazapine if it could fix pleasure less ejaculations.
Jaxx

Unread post by Jaxx »

marsupial wrote:I tried. No benefit for PSSD I felt teribly tired whole day
I had that too in the beginning, but went away after 2 weeks. Ive read several reviews that (for most) it should decrease over time.
jaiho

Unread post by jaiho »

If you look at the mechanism of mirtazapine, it relieves sexual dysfunction by 5HT2A & C receptors.
Lots of other drugs have those properties if you want to try others
Kk88

Unread post by Kk88 »

After several lengthy conversations with my GP of me explaining that I would NOT try another SSRI, his refusal to give me wellbutrin or moclobemide, mirtazapine is the only different category of anti depressant he will offer me.

I had a frustrating conversation with him yesterday where he was quite rude because I asked if I could go away and research it before saying yes to it (I forgot it was the name of the drug mentioned in this post). He was very condescending about SSRIs - the usual 'they are low risk and the most commonly used anti d and any side effects you are still having won't be a result of these' shit.

However I'm going to say yes to mirtazapine and give it a go. Worth a shot as I'm a few days off finishing my 10 week Bacopa/Niacin trial and have nothing else lined up to try. The study I posted sounded hopeful but from your experiences it doesn't sound that promising. Will of course report back
omar90

Unread post by omar90 »

Next time you see your DR you can show him the Prozac side-effect literature that explicitly states that sexual side effects can persist beyond usage, it's quite unbelievble that GPs and psychiatrists aren't aware of this and still insist on denying it's a possibility. I found the Prozac side-effect literature easily with a quick Google search. Other SSRIs don't list it but I think it proves a point about the meds in general. PSSD is also listed on the mind website if you want to print off that for further emphasis.

I would stay clear of Welbutrin, it's a dangerous drug
Fluoxetine 2008-13, PSSD thereafter

Condition worsened after 4 weeks on Setraline in 2014
pii

is this pssd ? from mirtazapine

Unread post by pii »

hello i will start over i eat mirtazapine for 1 year 45 mg and then i cold turkey . when i did thate i lost my libido 0 and harde to get eraction but i dont have any genius numbnes , the only problem i got was 0 libido and harde to get eraction . some say i cant get pssd from mirtazapine ? then what is this why did this happend what to do ?
Coraggio

Re: is this pssd ? from mirtazapine

Unread post by Coraggio »

Probably yes. It sound like it is. Did you have pssd sympotmps during the treatment? Because if you have you started PSSD after cold turkey it will be a good chance come back on it and then taper mirtazapine slowly.