L-methylfolate

Post any data on Treatments and experimentation.
IHateProzac

L-methylfolate

Unread post by IHateProzac »

For last 3 days I have taken 7.5mg L-methylfolate in the morning. The immediate effect that I felt is uplift in mood & reduction in anxiety. Some penile sensitivity with slightly intense orgasm. But now I have been reading some serious issues associated L-methylfolate. Has anyone ever tried it before?
IHateProzac

Re: L-methylfolate

I stopped taking L-Methylfolate as of yesterday. Somehow it not only fixed my bupropion induced retrograde ejaculation but also seems to have increased semen volume. Though it might be a short lived thing.

I have been doing some research on it from my layman perspective. Perhaps, this thing could be important to PSSD? The problem is that almost all sources recommend its usage only if there is low production of natural L-Methylfolate in the body.

From what I gather L-Methylfolate, among many other things, is responsible for:

1. Normal production of neurotransmitters
2. Lowering homocysteine (according to Peak Testosterone even the slightly elevated homocysteine levels could lead to sexual problems)
3. Healthy reproductive system
4. Healthy DNA
5. Healthy hormonal production
6. Improving blood flow in the arteries by increasing nitric oxide
7. Enhancing the effects of anti-depresent for those who are, or become, resistant to them (perhaps by re-enriching neurotransmitters or producing new ones)

This begs some questions:

i. Is it possible that SSRI/SNRI diminish the natural production of L-Methylfolate?
ii. Could the low presence of L-Methylfolate then be responsible for desensitised neurotransmitter?
iii. Could the low presence of L-Methylfolate also be responsible for diminished or short lived effects of drugs that have positive/pro-sexual effects?

Here are excerpts from some research that I have been reading in past few hours.
How L-Methylfolate Can Help
http://www.methylpro.com/more_info

L-Methylfolate is essential for biological processes throughout the human system involving methylation or one-carbon transfer. Without it there can be a significant breakdown of the human body’s ability to produce healthy DNA, have healthy neurotransmitter production, and optimal cardiovascular, hormonal, cellular, liver and reproductive functions.

Folate deficiency is tied to a host of conditions. Because L-methylfolate is required for the synthesis of the neurotransmitters serotonin, dopamine, and norepinehrine, low levels make it less likely that people will respond well to products that support a healthy mood. L-Methylfolate is also the only form of folate able to cross the blood-brain barrier. A decline of folate levels in the cerebral spinal fluid has been associated with reduced cognitive function. L-Methylfolate is essential for the conversion of homocysteine to methionine, supporting cardio and vascular health by lowering homocysteine levels. Since L-methylfolate participates in DNA synthesis and cell division, requirements are increased during pregnancy and periods of rapid growth.

Although folate occurs in naturally in some foods, and folic acid is used to fortify others, approximately 60 percent of the population in the United States have genetic variations that make them unable to utilize these nutrients. These variations do not allow the MTHFR enzyme to function properly so methylation of folate does not occur. Without this activation step, folate cannot be used by the body, resulting in negative health side effects and the possible inability to maintain a healthy mood.

This deficiency usually occurs because folic acid, the most common form of folate in supplements and fortified foods, must be converted to its active forms to be used by the body. The enzyme needed to convert folate to its active form, methylfolate, is called methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR). The problem lies in the fact that almost half of all people have genetic variations that reduce the ability of the MTHFR enzyme to make this conversion. Folate deficiencies are tied to a host of conditions.

For people with MTHFR gene variations, supplementing with the already activated form of folate is far more effective in providing this form of folate than introducing the pre-converted form to the body through typical folate supplements. L-Methylfolate supplements provide the active form of folate naturally present in the body and available for biological action.
--------------
L-Methylfolate is essential for maintaining healthy brain chemistry and is responsible for the normal production of the neurotransmitters serotonin, melatonin, dopamine, epinephrine, and norepinephrine. These neurotransmitters are involved in a number of functions including short-term memory, concentration, sleep, motor control, hormone control, mood stability, motivation, and appetite control.

Low folate levels have been associated with mood disorders and supplemental folate might be recommended as first line therapy.

* Homocysteine

Genetic polymorphisms in methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) have been proven to be the common hereditary factors of high-level homocysteine. Supporting normal homocysteine levels already in a normal range is important to good health. L-Methylfolate supplements address elevated homocysteine levels in the blood and improve peripheral blood flow in the arteries by increasing nitric oxide production in the vascular endothelium. This mode of action supports heart health.

*Peripheral Neuropathy

L-Methylfolate supplements can help promote healthy peripheral nerve function by supporting normal homocysteine levels and increasing nitric oxide production.
L-Methylfolate: A Promising Therapy for Treatment-Resistant Depression?

http://www.psychcongress.com/article/l- ... depression

* Traditional drugs such as SSRIs and SNRIs block reuptake of neurotransmitters, while L-methylfolate spurs the production of more neurotransmitters.

* Our brain must convert folic acid into L-methylfolate before it can manufacture enough serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine to alleviate depression. However, certain individuals lack the ability to convert folic acid to l-methylfolate, rendering folic acid supplements ineffective for this group of patients.

*This processing deficiency is caused by the methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) C677T polymorphism, which is quite common among patients with depression. Up to 70% of patients with depression test positive for the polymorphism and therefore cannot convert folic acid into L-methylfolate.

L-methylfolate: Another weapon against depression
http://www.mdedge.com/currentpsychiatry ... depression

* L-methylfolate is the centrally active derivative of folate that regulates synthesis of trimonoamines serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine and is a key regulator of the cofactor tetrahydrobiopterin (BH4). BH4 is required by tryptophan hydroxylase for serotonin synthesis and by tyrosine hydroxylase for dopamine and norepinephrine synthesis.

* Evidence suggests adding L-methylfolate to selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) or serotonin–norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) when starting pharmacotherapy leads to greater reduction of depressive symptoms in a shorter time compared with SSRI or SNRI monotherapy.
It is interesting to note that L-methylfolate is key regulator of BH4, which in turn is key to the conversion of L-tyrosine into L-dopa, which some of us have used for PSSD. The following paragraphs from wikipedia may be useful.
Tetrahydrobiopterin has multiple roles in human biochemistry. One is to convert amino acids such as phenylalanine, tyrosine, and tryptophan to precursors of dopamine and serotonin, major monoamine neurotransmitters. Due to its role in the conversion of L-tyrosine into L-dopa, which is the precursor for dopamine, a deficiency in tetrahydrobiopterin can cause severe neurological issues unrelated to a toxic buildup of L-phenylalanine; dopamine is a vital neurotransmitter, and is the precursor of norepinephrine and epinephrine. Thus, a deficiency of BH4 can lead to systemic deficiencies of dopamine, norepinephrine, and epinephrine. In fact, one of the primary conditions that can result from GTPCH-related BH4 deficiency is dopamine-responsive dystonia;[5] currently, this condition is typically treated with carbidopa/levodopa, which directly restores dopamine levels within the brain.

BH4 also serves as a catalyst for the production of nitric oxide. Among other things, nitric oxide is involved in vasodilation, which improves systematic blood flow. The role of BH4 in this enzymatic process is so critical that some research points to a deficiency of BH4 – and thus, of nitric oxide – as being a core cause of the neurovascular dysfunction that is the hallmark of circulation-related diseases such as diabetes.
continue

Unread post by continue »

you're taking bupropion. people with PSSD taking nothing would not have improvements with any METHYL group things, because it reduces histamine.
IHateProzac

continue wrote:you're taking bupropion. people with PSSD taking nothing would not have improvements with any METHYL group things, because it reduces histamine.
I stopped Bupropion after 2 days of usage. This was my second experiment with it. Both times it gave me retrograde ejaculation.
Glitch

Unread post by Glitch »

I have MTHFR and had a prescription for high dose L-methylfolate. It did absolutely nothing at all.
continue

Unread post by continue »

IHateProzac wrote:I stopped Bupropion after 2 days of usage. This was my second experiment with it. Both times it gave me retrograde ejaculation.
2 days is not enough for cleansing your body of any antidepressant. remember... people who does not have PSSD can take up to 3 months for their sexuality come back to normal after quiting SSRI (the first time I quit SSRI I didn't have PSSD, but my sexuality acted like I was on SSRI for 3 months until geting back to normal)

methy groups will exacerbate numbness.
Luis Fernando Lopez

Unread post by Luis Fernando Lopez »

Glitch wrote:I have MTHFR and had a prescription for high dose L-methylfolate. It did absolutely nothing at all.
Glitch, did you take vitamin B12 (methylcobalamin) at doses of 5000 mci with it, I think this could help. Vitamin B12 in cyanocobalamin form does nothing for someone with a MTHFR mutuation I've learned. I myself have a MTHFR mutation maybe this is something that PSSD sufferers have in common along with VDR mutations.

Something that really surprised me was that I'm rs6311(T;T) which is bullsh*t.
IHateProzac

Luis Fernando Lopez wrote:
Glitch wrote:I have MTHFR and had a prescription for high dose L-methylfolate. It did absolutely nothing at all.
Glitch, did you take vitamin B12 (methylcobalamin) at doses of 5000 mci with it, I think this could help. Vitamin B12 in cyanocobalamin form does nothing for someone with a MTHFR mutuation I've learned. I myself have a MTHFR mutation maybe this is something that PSSD sufferers have in common along with VDR mutations.

Have you undergone the treatment for your MTHFR, VDR mutations and rs6311(T;T)?
Luis Fernando Lopez

Unread post by Luis Fernando Lopez »

IHateProzac wrote:
Luis Fernando Lopez wrote:

Have you undergone the treatment for your MTHFR, VDR mutations and rs6311(T;T)?
No at least not yet, I'm going to be seeing my psychiatrist tomorrow, she wants tomorrow to be our last meeting since she found out back in March of this year that I wasn't taking Klonopin and Risperdal. I want to talk to her about trying something called Deplin I searched for Deplin on this forum and nothing came up, I think I could benefit from this. I don't want to have a one year anniversary with PSSD, I hate the idea of that. I know for a fact that I'm going to have PSSD if I keep on doing what I'm doing.

PFS sufferers report success with leafy greens and an anti-milk diet, well leafy greens contain methylfolate and milk distrupts that process, the process of making the methylfolate in leafy greens work efficiently.

All in all I discovered Deplin just in the nick of time, I hope this works, I've always been kind of wary of supplements it's unregulated. I'm an ApoE4 carrier so heavy metals and supplements that contain iron or copper are poisonous to me as are saturated fats and cortisol. Doesn't do me any favors that I have a short allele (possibly two) for SERT I'm also at 7x increased risk for hypertension so sugar, sodium and being inactive are poisonous to me as well honestly I feel like life itself hates me at this point.

There's always a silver lining to every tragedy and in this one it's I would have never gotten the 23andMe test if it wasn't for PSSD. I'm starting to look at PSSD as as a necessary evil. It still sucks.
IHateProzac

Luis Fernando Lopez wrote: No at least not yet, I'm going to be seeing my psychiatrist tomorrow, she wants tomorrow to be our last meeting since she found out back in March of this year that I wasn't taking Klonopin and Risperdal. I want to talk to her about trying something called Deplin I searched for Deplin on this forum and nothing came up, I think I could benefit from this. I don't want to have a one year anniversary with PSSD, I hate the idea of that. I know for a fact that I'm going to have PSSD if I keep on doing what I'm doing.

PFS sufferers report success with leafy greens and an anti-milk diet, well leafy greens contain methylfolate and milk distrupts that process, the process of making the methylfolate in leafy greens work efficiently.

All in all I discovered Deplin just in the nick of time, I hope this works, I've always been kind of wary of supplements it's unregulated. I'm an ApoE4 carrier so heavy metals and supplements that contain iron or copper are poisonous to me as are saturated fats and cortisol. Doesn't do me any favors that I have a short allele (possibly two) for SERT I'm also at 7x increased risk for hypertension so sugar, sodium and being inactive are poisonous to me as well honestly I feel like life itself hates me at this point.

There's always a silver lining to every tragedy and in this one it's I would have never gotten the 23andMe test if it wasn't for PSSD. I'm starting to look at PSSD as as a necessary evil. It still sucks.
I have tried Deplin. In fact, that's the L-methylfolate I was referring to in the first post. It seemed to lift my mood. I didn't see any radical sexual improvements. But I only took it for few days and without B12 & B6. Later on I tried B-Complex with L-Methylfolate. It improved the libido, but that lasted just for hours. I stopped taking the supplements thereon. This could also be placebo effect also. Subsequently I found I have low Vitamin D3 & high plasma homocysteine. I actually do need l-methyfolate. I have shifted to UK now. Will seek an appointment with GP here on this issue, hopefully by Friday. I'll bring up the MTHFR topic with them. Let's see what happens.