Noopept - like Piracetam but stronger?

Post any data on Treatments and experimentation.
Moloch

Noopept - like Piracetam but stronger?

Unread post by Moloch »

The Wikipedia page on Noopept states: "Noopept is not technically a racetam molecule (due to not having a 2-oxo-pyrollidine skeleton), but is generally grouped together in the same category because it shares similar mechanisms of action with the racetam family. When compared to traditional racetams, it has been found to be, according to studies, 1000 times more potent than the prototypical racetam drug, piracetam. Since it is a peptide-derived compound, noopept is degraded by enzymes in the GI tract and liver." From a supplier site: "Noopept displays both high oral bioavailability and good blood–brain barrier penetration." Sources: http://www.bulknutrients.com.au/buy/noopept/NOPEP http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noopept

It's available as a dietary supplement here in Australia (see first link), which I find quite surprising. It's also available as a dietary supplement in the US. And, it's also quite reasonably priced. I'm excited to try it, but would be interested in others' opinions before doing so. Does anyone have any experience of using this?
Moloch

Re: Noopept - like Piracetam but stronger?

Unread post by Moloch »

I found this while looking through a list of legal and illegal nootropics in New Zealand which someone posted on LongeCity:http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/59 ... huge-list/

Some of the other racetams listed there may or may not be useful too:

Racetam Nootropics:
Aniracetam: LEGAL/Unrestricted
Levetiracetam: ILLEGAL/Prescription
Nefiracetam :LEGAL/Unrestricted
Noopept: LEGAL/Unrestricted
Oxiracetam: LEGAL/Unrestricted
Phenylpiracetam: LEGAL/Unrestricted
Piracetam: ILLEGAL/Prescription
Pramiracetam: LEGAL/Unrestricted

Some more info on Noopept: "While the exact mechanism of action is still not entirely understood, it does appear to function similarly to Piracetam (the original Nootropic) in many ways. Once ingested orally, the supplement is absorbed through the GI tract and then eventually crosses the blood-brain barrier. It reaches maximum concentrations within the brain in about 15 minutes, so it is also pretty fast acting."

"Even when compared to Piracetam, this supplement has a very high oral bioavailability rate. Some studies indicate this may be as high as 90 percent."

"Once in the brain, Noopept reacts strongly with the Glutamatergic AMPA receptor sites. It binds to these receptors site and then helps to prevent the break down of the neurotransmitter Glutamate. While other basic Nootropics such as Piracetam only have weak effects on Glutamate, this supplement appears to exert a much stronger influence. As it binds to these sites, Glutamate is allowed to move between brain cells more easily, helping to increase a number of cognitive benefits including enhanced brain plasticity. Glutamate is the most prevalent neurotransmitter in the brain and when you increase the efficiency with which it works you can dramatically improve the communications and computations that occur between neurons."

"Noopept has also been shown to increase levels of Nerve Growth Factor (NGF) and Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor (BDNF). The NGF is believed to be responsible for influencing the growth and survival of certain types of neurons, while BDNF also encourages specialization of new neurons and synapses. It is these developments, particularly the new synapses which are thought to be very important in long-term memory, overall intelligence, and cognitive health. It may also help to form new connections and improve the overall level of communication between both hemispheres of the brain."

Source: http://nootriment.com/noopept-effects/

Another source shows that Noopept is similar to Piracetam in other ways, including one that may be of greatest benefit to us. Wikipedia states that Piracetam improves the function of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine via muscarinic cholinergic (ACh) receptors. This source: http://nootropicsupplementreview.com/noopept/ claims that Noopept, too, 'increase[s] the efficacy of acetylcholine receptors. Acetylcholine, an important cognitive neurotransmitter is partly responsible for learning, memory, focus and coordination. Influencing how acetylcholine receptors in the brain work is the primary way in which this nootropic works. It is considered to be a strong cholinergic which means it mainly affects the acetylcholine rather than other parts of the brain."

Also: "This nootropic may also be similar to aniracetam because it may affect certain serotonin receptors. The observation has been seen in animals and noopept seems to exhibit an anxiolytic effect which may or may not be repeated in humans."
Blackout

Unread post by Blackout »

I had read that Noopept is a libido killer despite being a lot more powerful than piracetam. Levetiracetam also is an antilibido drug, and it is used as an antiepileptic agent. Every racetam has different properties from what I understand. But at least piracetam and pramiracetam have been helpful for some forum users.

By the way, I'm waiting a phenylpiracetam shipping, which is also stonger than piracetam. It should arrive today or tomorrow. I'll report any effects once I've tried it.
Moloch

Unread post by Moloch »

That's a shame. Thanks for that info-do you remember where you read that?
Moloch

Unread post by Moloch »

Thanks, interesting that in that thread curcumin is also mentioned as being a libido killer. I have been taking it for the last week or so, maybe not such a great idea. Sonny took Meriva-SR which contains curcumin complexed with phosphatidylcholine. I wonder if it was the phosphatidylcholine that helped more than the curcumin. However this page talks about curcumin most likely being beneficial to sexual health: http://www.curcumine-sante.net/en/curcu ... ins-libido, though the source doesn't seem very reputable. Anecdotal evidence from other sources is variable, with some claiming it aids libido and others saying it kills it..
Blackout

Unread post by Blackout »

catalunya wrote:
Moloch wrote:That's a shame. Thanks for that info-do you remember where you read that?
a few anecdotes here that claim noopept killed or dampened libido -- http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/63 ... sex-drive/
Yes, it was there where I learned that about Noopept.

In other things, my phenyl piracetam arrived yesterday right after posting my last message. I've been taking it several times per day, and I was already taking CDP-choline, zinc, magnesium and forskoliin. I don't feel anything yet.
brman

Unread post by brman »

Moloch wrote: When compared to traditional racetams, it has been found to be, according to studies, 1000 times more potent than the prototypical racetam drug, piracetam.
I think that it explain why this very potent synthetic racetam can harm some people.