Levonorgestrel

Post any data on Treatments and experimentation.
logicalscout

Re: Levonorgestrel

Unread post by logicalscout »

This is very puzzling, progesterone is an anti androgenic and is used to suppress sex drive in sex offenders. However on the flip side, it's also a precursor to allopregnenalone which is the neurosteroid which supposedely causes the anti depressant effect in most SSRI's.

My recent blood levels for Progesterone were:

Progesterone: 0.3nmol/L <3.0

According to this website: http://www.hemingways.org/GIDinfo/hrt_ref.htm
0.3nmol/L is BELOW the reference range
varicocele-guy

Unread post by varicocele-guy »

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/DHEA_Pregnenolone.aspx

Here is some info regarding progesterone and pregnenolone supplementation.

Has anyone on this forum tried pregnenolone supplementation?
Being low in any one of these three hormones could cause significant symptoms - similar to low testosterone -such as fatigue, mental fog, erectile dysfunction and lowered libido. In retrospect, I think the lifestyle changes and improved testosterone were what was allowing me to do so well in spite of low hormone output.
alteredhomeostasis

Unread post by alteredhomeostasis »

I dunno, progesterone as a prohormone and a steroid receptor are pretty damn complicated. I don't think theorizing is going to be useful in this case. But Kudos to John for taking an agonist when his levels are already high.
Jaxx

Unread post by Jaxx »

This was written in a previous thread:
Levonorgestrel wont increase progesterone, it should lower it because it has over 300% the activity at the progesterone receptor (compared to natural progesterone) so your body will think there is way too much progesterone and thus lower natural progesterone production and/or the receptor will downregulate. I tried ella and Im a man but it didnt work on me. And it makes since that it wouldnt because why would blocking the effects of progesterone (antagonize the receptor) lead to lower progesterone. If anything it should increase progesterone because hour body thinks its not making enough and/or the receptor is upregulated.
http://www.pssdforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1765
ethanmatthews

Unread post by ethanmatthews »

@Jaxx. Yes that was me who wrote that. I even have a paper to prove it. "The effect of a levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system on uterine artery blood flow, hormone concentrations and overian cyst formation in fertile women" showed that women given a low dose of levonorgestrel using an intra-uterine device (IUD) lowered there progesterone ~75%. I'm really glad John Criton has had success with levonorgestrel. I know silverstar (a member on this forum) tried one pill after she had unprotected sex and she had remession of symptoms. I will be trying it in a couple of weeks. Honestly I think everyone should try it, it could really help you guys. It's easy to get at your local pharmacy without prescription. Why not give it a try?
IHateProzac

Unread post by IHateProzac »

What's the effect of this drug on male fertility?
Jaxx

Unread post by Jaxx »

ethanmatthews wrote:@Jaxx. Yes that was me who wrote that. I even have a paper to prove it. "The effect of a levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system on uterine artery blood flow, hormone concentrations and overian cyst formation in fertile women" showed that women given a low dose of levonorgestrel using an intra-uterine device (IUD) lowered there progesterone ~75%. I'm really glad John Criton has had success with levonorgestrel. I know silverstar (a member on this forum) tried one pill after she had unprotected sex and she had remession of symptoms. I will be trying it in a couple of weeks. Honestly I think everyone should try it, it could really help you guys. It's easy to get at your local pharmacy without prescription. Why not give it a try?
Looks very promising indeed, and it seems pretty safe even in larger quantities. Really hoping the effects stick!
ethanmatthews

@Jaxx Its also been found that levonorgestrel tripled the likelihood of depression. We know progesterone downregulates 5-HT1A. We also know upregulated 5-HT1A is involved in depression and antidepressants downregulate 5-HT1A. So levonorgestrel might be upregulating 5-HT1A causing depression because it lowers progesterone. It lowers progesterone because it has 300% the activity of natural progesterone at the progesterone receptor and so your body thinks its producing too much progesterone and so downregulates progesterone production.
Jaxx

Unread post by Jaxx »

ethanmatthews wrote:@Jaxx Its also been found that levonorgestrel tripled the likelihood of depression. We know progesterone downregulates 5-HT1A. We also know upregulated 5-HT1A is involved in depression and antidepressants downregulate 5-HT1A. So levonorgestrel might be upregulating 5-HT1A causing depression because it lowers progesterone. It lowers progesterone because it has 300% the activity of natural progesterone at the progesterone receptor and so your body thinks its producing too much progesterone and so downregulates progesterone production.
Levorongestrel is also used in birth control, which can lower libido in women (by increasing progresterone or is this more impact on estrogen/testosterone?). I am not sure how to match the two
ethanmatthews

Jaxx wrote:Levorongestrel is also used in birth control, which can lower libido in women (by increasing progresterone or is this more impact on estrogen/testosterone?). I am not sure how to match the two
Yes thats what I meant. Levonorgestrel is only used by women as a morning after pill or a contraceptive. The reason why it lowers libido is because it lowers natural progesterone which is an important hormone in female sex drive. Levonorgestrel interacts with the progesterone receptor but it doesnt get converted into other hormones like natural progesterone does. Progesterone gets converted into estrogen (estrogen is also lower in women who take levonorgestrel because it doesnt get converted to estrogen) and estrogen is an important sexual hormone. Levonorgestrel actually looks more like testosterone (structurally speaking) to the body which is why hair loss is a side effect.