Psychiatrists are this clueless

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
frhfu398hhf9hf3hf8

Psychiatrists are this clueless

Unread post by frhfu398hhf9hf3hf8 »

To bring some context, I want to quote what I said about my last meeting with psychiatrist in a recent post:
frhfu398hhf9hf3hf8 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:17 am I have seen my doctor one more time and he continued to say ridiculous things. For example:
"Anything that happens in brain is psychological"
"Your problem is caused by Serotonin–norepinephrine shortage"
"You don't have sexual problem, you are simply depressed and obsessed"
Rejected all evidence of PSSD without even looking at them (forums, case reports, animal studies, warning in Prozac's instruction) and continued to say that antidepressant sexual side effects are temporary. Says "I don't work with forums, I work with American Psychiatry Association's book". Blindly trusts one source exclusively, denying absolutely everything else. I suspect he does not look at researches and data at all. (Also I guess PSSD getting recognition of APA would be beneficial.)
So at this point we all assume APA's book denies, or at least does not mention PSSD, right?

Here is a comment on reddit I recently saw:
zakalwec wrote: Quack doctors promoting their quack science. Don't waste your money on them. I lump them all with chiropractors.
Psychiatrists saying that they never heard of PSSD before don't even know their own profession "bible", the DSM-5.
The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders is published by the American Psychiatric Association. It gives a compendium of current psychiatric diagnoses and treatment in the United States.
The latest edition (DSM-5) published in 2013 contains a section on substance/medication-induced sexual dysfunction. Page 449 states –
“In some cases, serotonin reuptake inhibitor-induced sexual dysfunction may persist after the agent is discontinued.”
I was surprised, went to download that book and checked if the commenter was right, and what the comment says about the book is 100% true!!! I wonder what these doctors' beliefs are based on.