Has ANY doctor been PUNISHED in ANY way for giving someone PSSD?

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
frhfu398hhf9hf3hf8

Has ANY doctor been PUNISHED in ANY way for giving someone PSSD?

Unread post by frhfu398hhf9hf3hf8 »

Of course this was probably not their intention, but given the amount of literature, it is a HUGE irresponsibility from which people are horribly suffering !!!
Frog

Re: Has ANY doctor been PUNISHED in ANY way for giving someone PSSD?

Unread post by Frog »

frhfu398hhf9hf3hf8 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:04 am Of course this was probably not their intention, but given the amount of literature, it is a HUGE irresponsibility from which people are horribly suffering !!!
I don’t think doctors should be punished for it. Like you say it wasn’t their intention for this to happen and many weren’t aware of PSSD until the EMA review. Even now many still don’t know. If anyone could be subject to legal issues, I’d guess it’s more likely to be the drug companies. This being said I think a more productive attitude is beneficial. How we can help ourselves and improve the way things are done rather than punish a doctor who believed they were acting in our best interest
Thomas

Unread post by Thomas »

1) Doctors don't "give PSSD".
2) I don't see why a doctor could be "punished" for any drug side-effect, if drug was prescribed within therapeuthic indication (if not, it's another story). Every drug has its benefits and risks. If doctors were punished when any risk happens, then none would prescribe anything anymore... So, the question are 1) how to better assess risks 2) how to manage situation when risk happens (as Frog said).
Escitalopram, 10mg/day, Jan-May 2019. Fluoxetine, May-Sept 2019. Mirtazapine 7,5mg/day, November 2019-January 2020. Escitalopram, 5mg/day, Feb-May 2020.
Symptoms: sexual & emotional numbness
frhfu398hhf9hf3hf8

Unread post by frhfu398hhf9hf3hf8 »

Thomas wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:49 pm 1) Doctors don't "give PSSD".
2) I don't see why a doctor could be "punished" for any drug side-effect, if drug was prescribed within therapeuthic indication (if not, it's another story). Every drug has its benefits and risks. If doctors were punished when any risk happens, then none would prescribe anything anymore... So, the question are 1) how to better assess risks 2) how to manage situation when risk happens (as Frog said).
Well in my case there was no therapeuthic indication and doctor claimed in a very confident way to know all drug effects VERY WELL and even threatened me with hospitalization if I do not take it. And then denied possibility of PSSD when I told him there is a lot of documentation of it. This reaction makes it entirely possible that he was told this by another person and dismissed it as paranoia as well, and that is why I am suffering now. As Healy says, "people need to know of the very real existence of this problem before taking an SSRI – just as women need to know of the risk of birth defects and possible developmental delay in any children they may conceive while on treatment". My opinion is, SSRIs should be only prescribed when they are absolutely necessary SO THAT PATIENT CONFIRMS IT, alternatives do not work and patient KNOWS ABOUT PSSD.

One (like Ghost) can compare PSSD to car crashes and say we do not stop using cars because of crashes, but that is a different story. Cars are important and crashes are something we know about and take that risk, but PSSD is something that I would never agree to risk even if this is a low probability (I calculated it as 0.06%). Especially in a case like mine -- when there was no need for SSRI at all.
Frog

Unread post by Frog »

My doctor told me that any side effects were temporary and would resolve. I don’t blame him for what happened to me. He didn’t know about PSSD. Like you, I wouldn’t have taken the drug if I’d known about the risk but at that point, it was hardly known.

Regarding your point about cars being important, I’d argue that meds are too. Yeah they’re not always necessary, like your case and even mine, but they do save lives. It’s about how they’re given out.
BruteForce

Unread post by BruteForce »

there is no excuse for docs beeing so ignorant about pssd. They have to check the literature to update their knowledge promptly
Tree

Unread post by Tree »

BruteForce wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:09 pm there is no excuse for docs beeing so ignorant about pssd. They have to check the literature to update their knowledge promptly
They won't and will continue to dismiss pssd. It's not in the physicians interest to recognize this condition. The only way you will get the medical community to recognize it is by civil suit. More independent research needs to be done on pssd before there is enough evidence to sue. Nobody is going to want to sue without evidence of damages. Money talks in this world and big pharma is making plenty of it. Unfortunately, a lot more people are going to get hurt from these drugs.
sylv

Unread post by sylv »

Doctors dismissing PSSD and refusing to report it to FDA / EMA are guilty on the same level as the pharma is. Just for negligence which allow to bury the problem and deprive affected from any chance of recognition, research and potential treatment.
Frog

Unread post by Frog »

I’ve locked this topic. It’s just turning into unproductive venting about doctors and pharma.