Reading comprehension issues

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
Broken

Reading comprehension issues

Unread post by Broken »

Outside of a general lack of focus, I can barely calm myself enough to meditate, let alone pray or read something. At times it's like my mind is going a mile a minute and my eyes scan the page, skip over words or dump my immediate short-term memory. It's almost as if my dyslexia and hyperactivity have been exacerbated ferociously.

I want to trial semax however it is a nonviable import - too expensive, not to mention peddled by dubious vendors and given to adverse reactions such as hair loss.

Are there any techniques one can use to "re-train" one's mentality or concentration? Words can scarcely describe how ghastly it is to not be able to do basic arithmetic without a calculator or more fully digest the nuances of a good book.

The only stopgap I've encountered so far is a keotgenic diet combined with fasting. Yet as AnhedonicApe (RIP) had observed, this lifestyle change can incur derealisation, and that won't do at all.
2010~2012: Prozac, Concerta, Wellbutrin (no effects)
2012~2018: Effexor with 150 mg being typical dose. Weaned off March, reinstatement in June, abrupt cessation in September.
Severe ED, less ejaculate, definitive shrinkage, lack of libido, anhedonia.
kpavel

Re: Reading comprehension issues

Unread post by kpavel »

It's serotonin 5-ht2b receptors that probably harm proper prefrontal cortex work (I assume this is the problem). And another drug which you can get not only from Russia is Metadoxine. Basically it's pyroglutamic acid (which is key and you can buy separately, it's natural compound close to piracetam) and vit. b6. It was trialed for adhd and claimed to potently block ht2b receptors.
You may add lecithin and omega3 like nootropic enthusiasts do with piracetam. Turn to nutrients to break this pharma-hate-pharma-eat circle.
climb

Unread post by climb »

I've had phases where I've struggled with reading and concentrating on things. I don't doubt for a moment that some people may encounter this as a PSSD symptom, but it can be influenced by other factors.

In my case, it's been greatly improved by limiting exposure to blue light from phone and laptop.
There's been a lot of articles (haven't looked into the research) that have suggested that constant interaction with smart phones and blue light in general causes us problems with our attention span and negatively impacts on sleep quality.
I now only check my phone a couple of times a day unless I really need to for a specific reason. I also don't turn it on in the morning until a certain time and turn off all appliances a minimum of 1 hour before I sleep (2 is better). I also started turning off my phone when I'm watching a film, reading, with friends. It prevents compulsive checking and surfing the web without a decent reason and has helped me to concentrate much better. Regular exercise and a healthy diet also helps relax your mind.
By doing these things, I've rediscovered reading, which is a hobby that I lost for a while. I can't understate how much this helps.
If I surf the web before bed, I don't sleep well but if I take a break from screens and read, I sleep very well.
arahant

Unread post by arahant »

climb wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:56 am I've had phases where I've struggled with reading and concentrating on things. I don't doubt for a moment that some people may encounter this as a PSSD symptom, but it can be influenced by other factors.

In my case, it's been greatly improved by limiting exposure to blue light from phone and laptop.
There's been a lot of articles (haven't looked into the research) that have suggested that constant interaction with smart phones and blue light in general causes us problems with our attention span and negatively impacts on sleep quality.
I now only check my phone a couple of times a day unless I really need to for a specific reason. I also don't turn it on in the morning until a certain time and turn off all appliances a minimum of 1 hour before I sleep (2 is better). I also started turning off my phone when I'm watching a film, reading, with friends. It prevents compulsive checking and surfing the web without a decent reason and has helped me to concentrate much better. Regular exercise and a healthy diet also helps relax your mind.
By doing these things, I've rediscovered reading, which is a hobby that I lost for a while. I can't understate how much this helps.
That makes sense. There's a Neuroscientist, Andrew D. Huberman, who mentioned the effects of light on his podcast. And it's any type, not only blue light.

https://youtu.be/nm1TxQj9IsQ?t=2897

Here there's an explanation that bright light (any type) from 11 PM and 4 AM, suppresses the release of dopamine, also inhibiting learning, activating the "disappointment region" of the brain that can mimic a depressive state.
If I surf the web before bed, I don't sleep well but if I take a break from screens and read, I sleep very well.
I am exactly having a shit/foggy day today after surfing the web on my phone before bed yesterday.
Wellbutrin (2007 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Sertraline (2015)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin (2016 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin + Sertraline (3 months in 2018)
Buspirone (Feb 2019 - Today)
Ritalin + Buspirone (Nov 2019 - today)
climb

Unread post by climb »

Definitely. I once owned a SAD lamp during some period of depression where I was trying to avoid antidepressants, and it always seemed worse in the winter. I could never get up early enough to use the SAD lamp in the morning but if I used it at night I vwas always wired and couldn't sleep.