Stuck with no option but bupropion

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
lifeistrash

Stuck with no option but bupropion

Unread post by lifeistrash »

Hi, due to unfortunate life circumstances and an impending surgery of mine I am back in the psych game. Shit sucks but I need to get on something now. After long discussion with my doctor I am stunned and frustrated. We went over all medication and literally the only option which would not cause sexual dysfunction (I think it is obsolete to mention that me, as a PSSD recovered male, will never ever go on SSRIs/SNRIs and stuff again). The other option would be vortioxetine, which is decent but caused sexual dysfunction as well for me (I am yet not sure if I had PSSD from escitalopram or vortioxetine - I know the statistics say it doesn't cause sexual dysfunction but I have had it on vortioxetine and I am the last to be screwed by placebo, especially if I tell my self "its not possible", well its still there :/.), and beside that it is a contraindication to my surgery apparently.. so not an option. The only thing left is old gen antidepressants, which I asked for but my doctor advised me against them as I am sensible and they have bad side effects too (even sexual dysfunction). So that's out of the window too, leaves me with only bupropion which I have been on a long time ago when I was a teen. Apparently (I can't remember) I haven't really had a good time with it but since I am a fully grown person now I guess I give it another try.

conclusio, it fucking sucks that the only "safe" drug for this terrible side effect is a retarded form of cocaine...
Jaxx

Re: Stuck with no option but bupropion

Unread post by Jaxx »

sorry to hear you need to go back on an AD, but it makes sense you dont want to go back an ssri, incl. vortioxetine. There are some other options, depending on your specific issues. Like buspirone or moclobemide, both have limited sexual side effects and didnt make me feel jumpy like bupropion (but everyone is different). More serious medication for mdd is parnate, which not every doctor will prescribe but it is alot more effective for depression and feel alot more "real".
Just something to consider if you havent already
IHateProzac

Unread post by IHateProzac »

I am not a bupropion/Wellbutrin fan. That thing gave me retrograde ejaculation that now occasionally spurs up randomly, even though I stopped with it long time ago. For me a relatively safer bet would be Buspirone. However, the drug is for GAD and I an unsure if it has any efficacy for MDD.
Thomas

Unread post by Thomas »

Following your reasoning, avoiding not only SSRIs but everything that inhibits serotonin reuptake seems logical. Then avoid vortioxetine, SJW, etc.
But there are still lots of option, "natural" (inositol, rhodiola, etc.) or drugs (mianserin, mirtazapin, etc.)
But if you want to avoid anything that interacts with serotonin, options are limited.
Escitalopram, 10mg/day, Jan-May 2019. Fluoxetine, May-Sept 2019. Mirtazapine 7,5mg/day, November 2019-January 2020. Escitalopram, 5mg/day, Feb-May 2020.
Symptoms: sexual & emotional numbness
lifeistrash

Guys buspirone is gone worldwide, you can‘t get that anymore. And I won’t get old gen antidepressants too (my psychiatrist won‘t let me). I need something against anxiety and benzos are great but can only be taken occasionally.....
guess what‘s anti anxiety - fucking ssris :). Any ideas?
arahant

Unread post by arahant »

lifeistrash wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:24 pm Guys buspirone is gone worldwide, you can‘t get that anymore...
Care to share the source of such information?
Wellbutrin (2007 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Sertraline (2015)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin (2016 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin + Sertraline (3 months in 2018)
Buspirone (Feb 2019 - Today)
Ritalin + Buspirone (Nov 2019 - today)
lifeistrash

arahant wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:55 pm
lifeistrash wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:24 pm Guys buspirone is gone worldwide, you can‘t get that anymore...
My psychiatrist approved it and I went to the pharmacy. He said I need to get it from the international pharmacy bc it‘s not approved in my country. They however told me that apparently it‘s gone from the market worldwide... even in countries like Brazil. So no way I am getting. It‘s odd that people here recommend stuff that is not available anymore. I got to say though that my psychiatrist thought I could get it from the international pharmacy and didn‘t know this either.
Jaxx

Unread post by Jaxx »

it is still on the market, at least in EU. As the patent has expired years ago i can hardly imagine it will ever disappear globally….
arahant

Unread post by arahant »

lifeistrash wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:00 pm
arahant wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:55 pm
My psychiatrist approved it and I went to the pharmacy. He said I need to get it from the international pharmacy bc it‘s not approved in my country. They however told me that apparently it‘s gone from the market worldwide... even in countries like Brazil. So no way I am getting. It‘s odd that people here recommend stuff that is not available anymore. I got to say though that my psychiatrist thought I could get it from the international pharmacy and didn‘t know this either.

You might be just frustrated you could not get it.

Which country are you from?

You mentioned Brazil, here you can see a list of offers :

https://consultaremedios.com.br/cloridr ... spirona/pa

It is still widely available in the USA. But the brand (Buspar) is not sold anymore and there's a generic version I refill six month supply every time I need it.
Wellbutrin (2007 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Sertraline (2015)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin (2016 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin + Sertraline (3 months in 2018)
Buspirone (Feb 2019 - Today)
Ritalin + Buspirone (Nov 2019 - today)
lifeistrash

Jaxx wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:57 pm it is still on the market, at least in EU. As the patent has expired years ago i can hardly imagine it will ever disappear globally….
arahant wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:57 pm You might be just frustrated you could not get it.

Which country are you from?

You mentioned Brazil, here you can see a list of offers :

https://consultaremedios.com.br/cloridr ... spirona/pa

It is still widely available in the USA. But the brand (Buspar) is not sold anymore and there's a generic version I refill six month supply every time I need it.
wtf I am from EU and they literally said Buspar is not sold anymore/inaccessible. I even had the prescription but that’s what the international pharmacy said. What generic version do you mean??