SSRI worsening ADHD symptoms?

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
ihatelexapro444

SSRI worsening ADHD symptoms?

Unread post by ihatelexapro444 »

I took an SSRI for GAD, and even though I have stopped taking it for 5 months, I'm still having side effects, the worst of which is a worsening of ADHD, as well as PSSD and anhedonia, and weakening of emotions. I lost most of my skills in games like chess, and my memory and alertness, concentration and focus deteriorated, among other things related to cognition. I'm currently unmedicated for ADHD, so I'm hoping that once I start taking my ADHD medication, most of these issues will go away. It appears to be dopamine-related, which I don't understand how an SSRI can affect the dopamineergic system when it's serotonin selective. Is there anyone else here who has ADHD and has had their symptoms worsened by using an SSRI? That's something I've heard is common, especially on the /r/ADHD subreddit.
guacamo

Re: SSRI worsening ADHD symptoms?

Unread post by guacamo »

Simply saying ADHD etiology is that in some areas of the brain like prefrontal cortex, which controls things like attention, compulsivity, decision-making, etc. there is reduced dopamine firing. SSRIs are known to lower dopamine firing too, because serotonin receptors are involved in dopamine release. So it may be how they excerbate your ADHD symptoms.
ihatelexapro444

Unread post by ihatelexapro444 »

guacamo wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:06 pm Simply saying ADHD etiology is that in some areas of the brain like prefrontal cortex, which controls things like attention, compulsivity, decision-making, etc. there is reduced dopamine firing. SSRIs are known to lower dopamine firing too, because serotonin receptors are involved in dopamine release. So it may be how they excerbate your ADHD symptoms.
Yes, I wonder if there's any way to reverse that? How is it that I still have such issue after 5 months off of the drug, it seems as though my serotonin receptors are fried, I guess I really do have to take ADHD medications then.
guacamo

Unread post by guacamo »

The way to reverse that is what this forum is all about :( Hope you get better with medication.