Does tapering really lower chances of PSSD?

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
Tree

Re: Does tapering really lower chances of PSSD?

Unread post by Tree »

I developed symptoms while taking an ssri. Those symptoms didn't go away after withdrawal. It felt like I was still on the drug even though I stopped taking it. I tapered off too.
cdraham

Unread post by cdraham »

guacamo wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:41 am Myself i think too that PSSD is a result of ongoing brain adaptation to SSRI, thing that is already happening during the treatment. I do not have any data to back up my opinion, but some of the people on this forum developed PSSD after just a few pills, what withdrawal could they get? Many people stop taking SSRIs instantly, this is the nature of the drug, they produce probably the most side effects of all the drugs used in medicine, so it is no suprise that people stop them abruptly.
Ppl dont only get pssd from ssris, also from wellbutrin for example. This suggests the mechanism has nothing to do with serotonin at all. At least one subtype of this syndrome
Brain food

Unread post by Brain food »

cdraham wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:00 am
Ppl dont only get pssd from ssris, also from wellbutrin for example. This suggests the mechanism has nothing to do with serotonin at all. At least one subtype of this syndrome
I’ve read about people getting PSSD from SNRIs but never Wellbutrin. Has anyone else heard of Wellbutrin (bupropion) causing permanent sexual dysfunction?
Brain food

Unread post by Brain food »

Look at the third page of this paper that Dr. David Healy wrote in 2017. Wellbutrin isn’t on the list of medications that cause this condition. Clomipramine is a Tricyclic antidepressant, but only caused one alleged case. Trintellix (Vortioxetine) is technically called an SRI but it has on caused two alleged cases.

https://rxisk.org/wp-content/uploads/20 ... S744-2.pdf
cdraham

Unread post by cdraham »

Brain food wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:27 pm Look at the third page of this paper that Dr. David Healy wrote in 2017. Wellbutrin isn’t on the list of medications that cause this condition. Clomipramine is a Tricyclic antidepressant, but only caused one alleged case. Trintellix (Vortioxetine) is technically called an SRI but it has on caused two alleged cases.

https://rxisk.org/wp-content/uploads/20 ... S744-2.pdf
Ive talked to several cases that got pssd from wellbutrin.
ihatelexapro444

Unread post by ihatelexapro444 »

So if someone did accidentally cold turkey and got PSSD, can't they go back on their SSRI and taper off to get rid of it? Assuming that #1 cause of PSSD is abrupt discontinuation.
tonyareias

Unread post by tonyareias »

Normally taking med again will relieve withdrawal effects. And you can take only when needed.