Does tapering really lower chances of PSSD?

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
ihatelexapro444

Does tapering really lower chances of PSSD?

Unread post by ihatelexapro444 »

People often recommend to go off the drug slowly, by tapering which spans to months, to avoid negative effects, I wonder if this can really prevent someone from contracting PSSD?
Also I took cymbalta for 2 weeks and cold turkey and was completely fine after 5 days, then I took lexapro for 2 months and also cold turkey, now I'm experiencing permanent side effects, makes me wonder if it's the lexapro or if it's due to the duration difference.
GIXXER

Re: Does tapering really lower chances of PSSD?

Unread post by GIXXER »

Its cant be confirmed.
tonyareias

Unread post by tonyareias »

I always tappered slowly and see improvements over time and after no med I don't have PSSD or other bad effects.
sovietxrobot

Unread post by sovietxrobot »

according to the literature, abrupt withdrawal is the #1 risk factor for developing PSSD and withdrawal syndrome in general. Its true in my case for sure, I've done slow tapers off of multiple drugs and had no issues. But abrupt discontinuation from escitalopram caused severe PSSD.
Jaxx

Unread post by Jaxx »

sovietxrobot wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:33 am according to the literature, abrupt withdrawal is the #1 risk factor for developing PSSD and withdrawal syndrome in general. Its true in my case for sure, I've done slow tapers off of multiple drugs and had no issues. But abrupt discontinuation from escitalopram caused severe PSSD.
Sorry but i have seen zero literature that shows that abrupt discontinuation would cause pssd (other than an assumption perhaps). Withdrawal symptoms, sure but that is not the same.
ihatelexapro444

Unread post by ihatelexapro444 »

sovietxrobot wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:33 am according to the literature, abrupt withdrawal is the #1 risk factor for developing PSSD and withdrawal syndrome in general. Its true in my case for sure, I've done slow tapers off of multiple drugs and had no issues. But abrupt discontinuation from escitalopram caused severe PSSD.
I feel so depressed, my PSSD is getting worse, I never felt this numb and have gone so long without fapping. The only thing joyful to me was taken away from me.
sovietxrobot

Jaxx wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:39 am Sorry but i have seen zero literature that shows that abrupt discontinuation would cause pssd (other than an assumption perhaps). Withdrawal symptoms, sure but that is not the same.
Fair enough. I said that because abrupt withdrawal is the number one factor for withdrawal symptoms and, in my opinion, PSSD is a form of post-acute withdrawal syndrome. Perhaps too much of a leap.
guacamo

Unread post by guacamo »

Myself i think too that PSSD is a result of ongoing brain adaptation to SSRI, thing that is already happening during the treatment. I do not have any data to back up my opinion, but some of the people on this forum developed PSSD after just a few pills, what withdrawal could they get? Many people stop taking SSRIs instantly, this is the nature of the drug, they produce probably the most side effects of all the drugs used in medicine, so it is no suprise that people stop them abruptly.
sovietxrobot

guacamo wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:41 am Myself i think too that PSSD is a result of ongoing brain adaptation to SSRI, thing that is already happening during the treatment. I do not have any data to back up my opinion, but some of the people on this forum developed PSSD after just a few pills, what withdrawal could they get? Many people stop taking SSRIs instantly, this is the nature of the drug, they produce probably the most side effects of all the drugs used in medicine, so it is no suprise that people stop them abruptly.
I believe there are different subtypes of PSSD. Maybe there is a different etiology for those who develop it from withdrawal vs those who develop it from simply taking SSRI.
guacamo

Unread post by guacamo »

I firmly believe there is 1 cause for all of PSSD, i will write final post about PSSD etiology in the upcoming days, i still do need to know a few things and i have trouble finding the correct papers.