Doctor in Belgium ?

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
Karacostapannis

Doctor in Belgium ?

Unread post by Karacostapannis »

Hi !
In PSSD for 3 years now, I have tried many natural supplements and healthy ealthy lifstyle but no improvment of my condition. I am thinking of trying à drug based treatment like Buproprion. But I am scared on Side effets see my expérience with SSRI. Does anyone know a doctor in Belgium that Could advise me on this ?
Thanks in advance !
Jaxx

Re: Doctor in Belgium ?

Unread post by Jaxx »

I know of a few members on this forum that are from belgium, but not many.
Being from the netherlands myself, i am not aware of any doctor treating pssd, but some are aware of it and willing to experiment with (dopaminergic) drugs. That would be my advice, find a doctor that believes in pssd and would be willing to experiment, if you would want to into that road.
Thomas

Unread post by Thomas »

I am quite puzzled here.
No doctor would tell he / she treats PSSD, obviously, because there isn’t any medically approved treatment.
But any shrink should help. I have seen only two shrinks in France and both acknowledged my situation and were eager to help. Even my general practitioner said my situation should be the consequence of withdrawal. Was I that lucky with doctors?!
Escitalopram, 10mg/day, Jan-May 2019. Fluoxetine, May-Sept 2019. Mirtazapine 7,5mg/day, November 2019-January 2020. Escitalopram, 5mg/day, Feb-May 2020.
Symptoms: sexual & emotional numbness
Jaxx

Unread post by Jaxx »

There are plenty doctors, gp’s but also psychiatrists that never heard of pssd and contribute it all to major depression. To be fair some symptoms can match and it often is the first diagnosis they think of.
Adding to that, there are some doctors that specifically accept pssd patients, not for an official treatment to cure, but they have a trial and error approach. Eg goldstein in the US from what i heard.
Thomas

Unread post by Thomas »

Jaxx wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:45 pm There are plenty doctors, gp’s but also psychiatrists that never heard of pssd and contribute it all to major depression. To be fair some symptoms can match and it often is the first diagnosis they think of.
I don't say every doctor has heard of PSSD. I haven't used this word with any one of them (but my shrink did use it) and none gave me depression as an explanation (actually my shrink did after my first withdrawal, but not after my second withdrawal).
Adding to that, there are some doctors that specifically accept pssd patients, not for an official treatment to cure, but they have a trial and error approach. Eg goldstein in the US from what i heard.
Finding some doctor willing to help / give advices / prescribe alternative antidepressants doesn't sound that difficult from my experience... We don't need them to "believe" in PSSD, we only need them to "believe" in our symptoms and check if we are depressed or not.
Finding someone willing to prescribe "off label" is probably harder.

Besides, I really think we should avoid using the word PSSD. Giving your own diagnosis to a doctor before examination is generally a bad idea because it can increase the probability of being misdiagnosed:
1) if the doctor believes you, excluding other diseases
2) if the doctor believes you invented some symptoms to match the disease
Escitalopram, 10mg/day, Jan-May 2019. Fluoxetine, May-Sept 2019. Mirtazapine 7,5mg/day, November 2019-January 2020. Escitalopram, 5mg/day, Feb-May 2020.
Jaxx

Unread post by Jaxx »

Well i dont disagree with you, but it all depends on the support you get. My gp said low libido is quite normal and i should focus on other things… i mean….
dib

Unread post by dib »

I will message you
Thomas

Unread post by Thomas »

Jaxx wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:01 pm My gp said low libido is quite normal and i should focus on other things… i mean….
I don’t know if this is normal or not but this is quite common. Whatever, if this is an issue for you it is his job to help you…
fth

Unread post by fth »

Jaxx wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:45 pm There are plenty doctors, gp’s but also psychiatrists that never heard of pssd and contribute it all to major depression. To be fair some symptoms can match and it often is the first diagnosis they think of.
I'm also from the Netherlands so if you ever come across a doctor that's willing to try and treat it let me know lol. My GP actually knew about pssd but he did want me to rule out any other causes first so that's what I'm doing now. My sex therapist took some time to convince but found out she did actually learn about it at school but it was covered so shortly that she didn't recall (it being taught is a good thing I suppose).
► Fluoxetine & methylphenidate (03/2016 - 07/2019)
► Symptoms started somewhere in 2018
► Social phobia (formerly), OCD, ADHD
► Dexamphetamine (06/2021 - now)
🇳🇱
Jaxx

Unread post by Jaxx »

fth wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:41 pm
I'm also from the Netherlands so if you ever come across a doctor that's willing to try and treat it let me know lol. My GP actually knew about pssd but he did want me to rule out any other causes first so that's what I'm doing now. My sex therapist took some time to convince but found out she did actually learn about it at school but it was covered so shortly that she didn't recall (it being taught is a good thing I suppose).
I pm’ed you