The single most important study i could find for pssd

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
Janie

Re: The single most important study i could find for pssd

Unread post by Janie »

Wow, this study was done likely in my country. Do you think we should contact the researchers?
Brain food

Unread post by Brain food »

Could you briefly explain why you think this is the most important study relating to PSSD? Which passages in the article do you think provide clues to how antidepressants cause PSSD?
cdraham

Unread post by cdraham »

Brain food wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:13 pm Could you briefly explain why you think this is the most important study relating to PSSD? Which passages in the article do you think provide clues to how antidepressants cause PSSD?
The paper suggests elevated 5-HT levels can lead to change in membrane permeability of BBB and various cells, including gut cells. If we go with the premise that we have high serotonin from unknown reasons, one could argue we are at risk of leaky gut and therefore autoimmunity.

I personally think this significally contributes to the loop we are stuck in. 5HT itself causes leaky gut, bacteria from the gut can go into bloodstream and you get an autoimmune reaction. This causes immune dysfunction, so alot of people tend to get infections reactivated.

It may also be the reason, why people don't always test for leaky gut on microbiome tests (they just measure zonulin usually), the reason for leaky gut in our case seems to be elevated 5-HT itself, people were tested with bacteria, viruses and stuff on blood smear tests (darkfield microscopy or bright field).

5-HT can not pass the blood-brain-barrier, although gut dybiosis can influence brain serotonin through other mechanisms.
Last edited by cdraham on Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Breathdeep

Unread post by Breathdeep »

I definitely agree this is the closest to explaining pssd in my view.
With a dysfunctional gut or leaky gut nutrients are not absorbed properly too. I think this is maybe why inositol helps some people, as it's a B vitamin which is one of the common vitamin deficiencies for leaky gut or sibo etc.

As far as I understand it when proteins leak into our blood stream through gut membrane this causes an inflammatory action and this continuous "battle mode" is tiring for the body in many ways

When I get up u have some reminiscence of libido but after an hour or two it's gone. I believe this is due to my body having to constantly rid toxins and lower inflammation due to leaky gut. Thus not running smoothly regarding many things including hormones

I don't believe the answer is more drugs however. This forum is drug heavy and you sometimes get slammed for trying to find a natural approach. By people who assume any benefit you see is due to your less bad case of pssd.
I have severe pssd but have seen benefits from ongoing intermittent fasting and an extremely healthy diet. For instance when I tell people about eating a certain way they say they have tried it but nothing happened. Then I find out they've not been strict enough. I cut out all sugar and all grains bar a bit of quinoa eat no processed foods and only low fodmap. I did this for months before seeing benefits alongside fasting

What are your thoughts on how to heal in regards to pssd?

In my view taking anything that influences the
Sertraline 2018-2019
Fluoxetine November 2020
Symptoms low libido and ED
also muted emotions
climb

Unread post by climb »

Very interesting. So many things described as being influenced by gut serotonin.

I found it interesting that 'vomiting' was mentioned.
I have not vomited since I was a child. I no longer drink alcohol but I used to be able to drink a large amount, get very drunk but I'd never vomit.
I wonder if this is common amongst others who developed PSSD.

I had severe gut problems and crash since taking inositol. Perhaps this fits in with your theory about how antidepressants and other substances could trigger leaky gut. There's no doubt in my mind that I have leaky gut now. From reading further, it seems unclear whether this could be a cause or a symptom of something else.

I've tried bringing PSSD to the attention of gastro intestinal societies in the UK but they refused to circulate the ISSM seminar. Maybe contacting researchers with this interest could be a way to develop these theories.
tonyareias

Unread post by tonyareias »

Before SSRI, my extreme anxiety induces to vomite. Also to much drink induces vomite too.
Only start taking SSRI because gut problems (from anxiety). SSRI solve all my anxiety problems.

I don’t have PSSD (only SSRI side effects when taking it)
climb

Unread post by climb »

I hadn't seen this, looks like something worth testing:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSSD/comments/ ... d_my_pssd/
silentpain89

Unread post by silentpain89 »

Without a doubt in my mind…This is the only study who looked in the right direction of understanding what’s going on…Sadly no follow up studies were made.
https://www.cell.com/current-biology/pd ... 14)01037-9