I'm going to be a doctor

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
Ghost

I'm going to be a doctor

Unread post by Ghost »

Recently I received some very good news - I've been accepted to my state university's medical school for the class of 2026.

It's been a bit over 7 years now since PSSD altered the path of my life. Each year brought its own challenges: depression, anxiety, ocd, pssd, and after 2 years of unsuccessfully applying to dozens of medical schools, there were times when giving up seemed the easiest route. I could lie and say that it was my own willpower and determination that got me through those days, but the reality is that it was all of you. Sonny, your forum not only saved my life several times over, it also gave it purpose. Sometimes all I had was this forum and the responsibility I felt to you all kept my head up even when I was away from here for months at a time grinding to get to this next chapter. Jaxx, Raven, TalkingAnt, Frog, lw77, Juvo, Maldodor, Catalunya - I can't thank you guys enough for working alongside me to help Sonny keep his forum has he indended it (it turns 10 years old this year!). I don't know if I ever told you just how much anxiety it took off my plate to not feel 100% responsible for policing this forum and the resource it has been for so many people. There are just too many people to thank. I starting writing out a list just kept growing. It's all of you, truthfully.

Now comes my next chapter: gaining the knowledge, connections, and medical degree that will hopefully give me a way to remain a productive member of this community.
- Medical Student & Friendly poltergeist - Lexapro Sept '14. [Hx] [PSSD Lab] [r/PSSD] [Treatment Plan] - Add "Ghost" in replies so I see it :)
frhfu398hhf9hf3hf8

Re: I'm going to be a doctor

Unread post by frhfu398hhf9hf3hf8 »

Huge congratulations! I have always wondered why I haven't seen any doctor among these sufferers in the PSSD community. Maybe because doctors know something so that they simply don't take antidepressants, or maybe because they think forums are useless. I'd like to know what other people think. Ghost, may we learn which kind of doctor you are planning to become?
FindGoodNickname

Unread post by FindGoodNickname »

So cool, congratulations!!
If I may give you a hint: Read the old exams and scripts.
Ask successful people who have studied longer than you how they do it.

I made the mistake of not talking much to other people, so I had too little information, too few old tests to learn from, etc. That made it much harder than it had to be.

And don't go crazy at the first 2 years. It'll be horror, and they do it extra hard to filter out people who can't cope with pressure.
After 2 years, it will be MUUUUUUUUUCH easier.
Frog

Unread post by Frog »

Congratulations and good luck, Ghost! Thank you for everything you’ve done and continue to do for the community!