PE & ED: Let's try to make sense of that combination

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
ytho

PE & ED: Let's try to make sense of that combination

Unread post by ytho »

Hey there.

You won't recognize my name as I hardly post here, but I'm following the forum for more than one year now.

After all this time, I find one thing very puzzling and I just can't make sense of it.

A lot of people using SSRIs get delayed orgasm / ejaculation. Subsequently a lot of people suffering from PSSD after they stopped the SSRI suffer from delayed orgasm / ejaculation.

It seems to me that only the minority of PSSD sufferers actually have premature ejaculation on their list of symptoms.

I've seen that question around a few times I think, but it doesn't make sense to me that you can get one of two extreme scenarios from one and the same mechanism of action. How could you possibly get either premature or delayed ejaculation from the same substance (SSRI)? But thats not my main question, I will get to that in a second.

Premature ejaculation is often treated by using an SSRI. Which means, premature ejaculation is considered a symptom of too little serotonin.
Erectile dysfunction can be a symptom of too much or too little serotonin. I know serotonin is considered inhibitory to erections if its too high, but the same applies if its too low. I don't have the papers with me but i can find them again if you want.

So my main question is:
If one has premature ejaculation & erectile dysfunction on their PSSD symptom list, would that point towards a serotonin deficiency?

On the other hand, if one has delayed ejaculation & erectile dysfunction on their PSSD symptom list, would that point towards a serotonin abundance?

Especially if you did not have any sexual dysfunction symptoms while using the SSRI (so while having relatively high serotonin), but only developed symptoms after stopping the SSRI (so potentially a relatively low serotonin state), it would make sense that the sudden lack of serotonin is causing PE and ED, right? Are those the cases that are successful with reinstatement / SJW / whatever serotonin "booster"?

I feel that some potential to solving (a part of) this PSSD mystery lies in understanding the differences between the various user groups:
- Symtpom onset while using the SSRI vs. onset after stopping it
- Premature ejaculation vs. delayed ejaculation

I'm a layman and not a native speaker, so excuse me if I'm oversimplifying things and using bad grammar / wording.

I'm open to any discussion. Wishing you all the best.
tonyareias

Re: PE & ED: Let's try to make sense of that combination

Unread post by tonyareias »

Yes, the main bad effects of SSRI use are low libido, delayed orgasm / ejaculation and erectile dysfunction (maybe indirectly).

There are 2 groups:
A - People who have (or worse) these effects while taking SSRI
B - People who have (or worse) these effects after taking SSRI

I'm in group A
ytho

Unread post by ytho »

I'm in group B.

The difference in people having delayed ejaculation (i guess the majority) vs. the people having premature ejaculation (probably the minority) is interesting though and should be considered. From my understanding both groups can't really have the same cause for their issues.

Any other input from you guys?
BruteForce

Unread post by BruteForce »

I had been expierencing PE during the first year of my pssd induced by venlafaxine. It was so bad I could even ejaculate without an erection.
ytho

Unread post by ytho »

BruteForce wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:39 am I had been expierencing PE during the first year of my pssd induced by venlafaxine. It was so bad I could even ejaculate without an erection.
I can totally relate. For the first half year of PSSD it was the same fore me, ED was so bad that in the process of getting an erection up I would most of time finish already.

But it sounds that has gotten better for you?
BruteForce

I dont know is it better or not. I just dont have such a strong PE now.It has been two years since I got pssd and I have not expierenced any windows or crashes since. I still have a very severe ED.
ytho

Unread post by ytho »

Same for me, its been a bit more than one year now. Have you tried any sertonin increasing agents to alleviate your symptoms?
BruteForce

I have tried clomipramine for a month... this is quite a long story. I will add my intro soon
ytho

Unread post by ytho »

Anyone else have any input or thoughts on this topic?
SertralineSurvivor

Unread post by SertralineSurvivor »

I am having similiar issues with you buddy. I also had this issue after quitting SSRI's. My first trial will be with inositol + (something like choline) and then I will try something else. I have this issue for almost a year now. I am afraid of trying stuff because I am scared of accidentally turning my mild pssd to a severe one like people around here.