Is mirtazipine safe?

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
fth

Is mirtazipine safe?

Unread post by fth »

Hi! I was wondering what the consensus is on mirtazipine. I struggle with severe depression and anxiety and my psych and I discussed medication. I told her I didn't want to take SSRI's/SNRI's and she gave me two options: bupropion and mirtazipine. Bupropion kinda spooks me because of the whole tinnitus thing, and I don't know a lot about mirtazipine. It seems like one of the main side effects is fatigue. I have no idea if it's safe to take in regards to pssd though.

I also asked about buspirone and she's going to look into it, so that would be my first choice, but it depends on whether she's willing to prescribe it. So for now I'm looking into mirtazipine.
► Fluoxetine & methylphenidate (03/2016 - 07/2019)
► Symptoms started somewhere in 2018
► Social phobia (formerly), OCD, ADHD
► Dexamphetamine (06/2021 - now)
🇳🇱
cdraham

Re: Is mirtazipine safe?

Unread post by cdraham »

No
fth

Unread post by fth »

cdraham wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:56 pmNo
Could you maybe elaborate?
🇳🇱
cdraham

Unread post by cdraham »

fth wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:01 pm
cdraham wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:56 pmNo
Could you maybe elaborate?
Tons of ppl got pssd from mirta

Even low dose
Integra

Unread post by Integra »

There are many ways to deal with depression. Cuz chance to got pssd with meds u have always. And it's hell.
Jaxx

Unread post by Jaxx »

i have taken mirtazapine, it did not make my pssd worse but benefits were also limited. The side effects are quite annoying though. The fatigue is significant but will fade after 1-2 weeks. i took it before bedtime and it does work as a sleeping pill.
But it caused a significant increase in appetite, which remained while taking it. I never gained much weight in my life, except on this stuff. this happens to many people and is a reason why it is often discontinued
sovietxrobot

Unread post by sovietxrobot »

Jaxx wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:52 pm i have taken mirtazapine, it did not make my pssd worse but benefits were also limited. The side effects are quite annoying though. The fatigue is significant but will fade after 1-2 weeks. i took it before bedtime and it does work as a sleeping pill.
But it caused a significant increase in appetite, which remained while taking it. I never gained much weight in my life, except on this stuff. this happens to many people and is a reason why it is often discontinued
I had the same experience. Modest benefits, but the weight gain was brutal. Once I started tapering off, I was losing 0.5-1 lb per DAY.
fth

Unread post by fth »

Jaxx wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:52 pm i have taken mirtazapine, it did not make my pssd worse but benefits were also limited. The side effects are quite annoying though. The fatigue is significant but will fade after 1-2 weeks. i took it before bedtime and it does work as a sleeping pill.
Interesting! Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm underweight and need to gain weight so for me more appetite wouldn't be a problem lol. I think I'll try to push for buspirone anyway because it seems 'safer' and if that doesn't work I'll try mirtazipine.
🇳🇱