Mianserin

Post any data on Treatments and experimentation.
Tenyears27

Re: Cured by Mianserin 30 mg

Unread post by Tenyears27 »

YOU THE MAN LOUIS

did you have anhedonia?
xlmplmplmp

Unread post by xlmplmplmp »

Any ideas about the best way to get Mianserin in the U.S.?
Tenyears27

Unread post by Tenyears27 »

goldpharma.com
Blackout

Unread post by Blackout »

Maybe I didn't realize back then, but now I guess the opposite. I was on mianserin for a short period during december 2012-january 2013(more or less) and the only thing I felt while on it was the ability to dream or recall my dreams after awakening. They were ordinary, sometimes nonsense dreams, but I had stopped dreaming more than a year before while on sertraline or after stopping it -I don't remember exactly.

But the thing is that, a few weeks -don't remember how much- after stopping it, I had a window where my ED subsided a lot. I was taking clomiphene, lamotrigine, levothyroxine, memantine and fish oil at that time, and doing heavy exercise, and I attributed the window to one of those meds or exercise but not to mianserin, not realising that my emotions also became somewhat less dull. However, the window only made my erections better, but my libido remained dead and my genital anesthesia was the same -orgasms were the same too, but they were and are the only aspect of my sexual response that wasn't too altered from SSRI in the first place-. Anyway, the window closed after less than 3 weeks. I continued taking the aforementioned meds for several weeks or months, and later retried them together and alone, but the effects didn't came back.

Heavy anxiety began for me around may or june 2013, and since then it began increasing to abominable levels until it became pure, daily terror. I've always been excessively anxious, but managed to avoid benzos since 2004 until the situation that is causing my current stress began in 2013 and I began taking clonazepam sporadically first, then increasing as my anxiety also increased.

I was still aware that mianserin contributed to a small change in my anhedonia and emotional blunting and that it made me able to have dreams while taking it, so during the next winter -2013/14- I retried it but with bupropion. Again my ability to have dreams returned while I was taking it. But this time I didn't note anything else. However anxiety, terror, was already indescriptible.

And only now do I realize that my current terror is probably masking more than I can think, and now I think that my window during January 2013 could have been aided by mianserin, which I had stopped a few weeks -maybe days- before it. On the other side, I'm scared to retry it and even go higher, because a year ago I took mirtazapine for maybe a month and it made the opposite of mianserin: made my emotional blunting and anhedonia much more deeper and didn't have any dreams while on it. Thankfully it reversed back to my normal PSSD baseline after a while, but left me scared enough to try mianserin at the highest dose and for a longer time. And anxiety would continue to mask any potential improvements, so I guess only if I manage to stop this hell of stress could it be worthy to try it again.
iggy131313

Unread post by iggy131313 »

Blackout

did the mianserin not help with reducing the terror etc? How long after stopping mianserin did the terror start? the terror which I know so well (is it terror for NO reason? with no thoughts behind it, just the sensation of severe terror?) is a lesser form of akathisia, my akathisia when it starts to go away (im talking over months not hours) will turn to severe terror for a few months before it gets a little less or i make a mistake and it ramps back up to severe akathisia...

This I attribute to 5ht2a upreg, which act as brakes on dopamine release...Mianserin is such a potent 5ht2a antagonist I would have thought it would have helped with that sensation
iggy131313

sorry, I should also say that upreg that causes terror, akathisia etc seems o happen 4-6 months after stopping a med, it has a tardive nature, which is why I asked how long after stopping mianserin this terror started....for me, I was completely normal for 5 months after stopping citalopram, fine at the bottom of the stairs at some point during my 5th month off...walked up the stairs, boom, my life was destroyed..I would NEVER return to work, 4 years later still severely disabled and sufferng...upregulation
iggy131313

Mirtazapine is different, im slightly confised as info about it on wiki and on other sites, and as described by stephen stahl (if anyone hasnt then buy stephen stahls 4th edition, its the best thing ive read)

it takes the brakes of sertonin neurons, by antagonising presynaptic a2 receptors on 5ht neurons, whichare inhibitory autorecepos there...it also increases NE which activates presynaptic a1 receptors which is the accelerator on 5ht release in the raphe nuclei

miaserin blocks a1 receptors also so it can mitagate this added serotonin release

also the ki at 5ht2a with mirt is 69 whereas it is 3 with mianserin, although they can hit some of the same receptors, i dont know why they are called sister drugs, more like third cousins, their effects are most different
Ghost

Unread post by Ghost »

iggy131313 wrote:sorry, I should also say that upreg that causes terror, akathisia etc seems o happen 4-6 months after stopping a med, it has a tardive nature, which is why I asked how long after stopping mianserin this terror started....for me, I was completely normal for 5 months after stopping citalopram, fine at the bottom of the stairs at some point during my 5th month off...walked up the stairs, boom, my life was destroyed..I would NEVER return to work, 4 years later still severely disabled and sufferng...upregulation
Iggy, I know you have GAD, but are you hypersexual? Do you have heightened sexuality as opposed to before SSRIs?
- Medical Student & Friendly poltergeist - Lexapro Sept '14. [Hx] [PSSD Lab] [r/PSSD] [Treatment Plan] - Add "Ghost" in replies so I see it :)
iggy131313

nope....this is what is interesting..I am coming to belive that the genital numbness and inability to become PYSICALLY aroused is serotonin based...whereas the anhedonia and lack of desire being dopamine.....

my symptoms of PGAD are simply over sensitive genitals, and genital aroual which is ocnstant, there is no mental arousal involved..thhis is why I think the numbess etc is linked and why the 2 forms of pssd (anheonia, libido/genetal numbess lack of genital arousal) are seperate from eachother
Blackout

Unread post by Blackout »

iggy131313 wrote:Blackout

did the mianserin not help with reducing the terror etc? How long after stopping mianserin did the terror start? the terror which I know so well (is it terror for NO reason? with no thoughts behind it, just the sensation of severe terror?) is a lesser form of akathisia, my akathisia when it starts to go away (im talking over months not hours) will turn to severe terror for a few months before it gets a little less or i make a mistake and it ramps back up to severe akathisia...

This I attribute to 5ht2a upreg, which act as brakes on dopamine release...Mianserin is such a potent 5ht2a antagonist I would have thought it would have helped with that sensation
In my case, my anxiety has a very real cause, it has a lot of basis to be there, and it just happened that the cause started around half a year after stopping mianserin. It's getting worse and worse. What I've to mention is that sometime in 2014 I began experiencing tachycardia while I attempt to sleep. Tachycardia was always part of me since I began having panic attacks in 2003, but it was vanished from one day to the next while I was taking sertraline -the culprit of my PSSD- in 2011. However, I can't still cry and I lack the impulsivity that used to accompany equiparable levels of anxiety prior to PSSD. On the other hand, even when I don't have libido, this anxiety has prompted me to masturbate from 2 to 4 times daily even without managing to get hard. This is similar to my pre PSSD state where I used masturbation to cope with my persistent anxiety -mostly OCD caused back then-, however, without really enjoying stimulation, only orgasm.

I know akathisia, I'm very prone to it if I take antipsychotics. Olanzapine, ziprasidone and even aripiprazole -which isn't supposed to induce it-, all made me shaky, the first two with severe somnolence, the third without it. But that is more restlessness than anxiety, something induced by those poisons, and I will never take them again because it takes only one pill of them to send my PSSD sexual sides much higher. What I'm experiencing since 2013 is pure anxiety, only lacking several of its old manifestations except for tachycardia and also gastric upset.