Electroconvulsive therapy - ECT

Post any data on Treatments and experimentation.
alteredhomeostasis

Electroconvulsive therapy - ECT

Unread post by alteredhomeostasis »

Anyone try this yet?

I was at yoga the other day and was thinking that this could be one way to achieve a sort of reboot.

If I was a bit further into the PSSD ordeal I might give it a shot.

Let me know if you've tried this or considered it.

I would also like to offer a 1000 dollar prize to anyone with pssd who gives this a shot :)
Bunny

Re: Electroconvulsive therapy - ECT

Unread post by Bunny »

I've thought about doing ECT. I've also thought about doing TMS, as far as "brain reboots" go.
Female
Various SSRI's for OCD 2001-2003; no sexual SE's
300mg Zoloft 2003-2007; no sexual SE's (tapered off Mar. 2007)
200mg sertraline 2008-2009; immediate sexual SE's (began Nov. 2008, CT'd early 2009 and developed PSSD)
PSSD 2009-2018
STILL CURED
Twentyoneguns

Unread post by Twentyoneguns »

While I was not suffering from PSSD at the time, I was given 8 sessions of ECT in the mid 90's, this was for severe depression, the first session left me exhausted and confused and just a little relief from the depression, the remaining 7 sessions I went to in absoloute terror.

The nurse that accompanied me to the treatment room described what happened to me...I was under general anaesthetic...the convulsion following the shock was very violent and lasted for about 20 seconds.

After the 8 sessions were finished (4 weeks) and I had time to recover from the experience, it became apparent that I had severe memory loss...thankfully only around the time of the treatment...I dont feel the treatment had any effect on my depression. I was never the most motivated of people, but I feel this made the situation worse.

I think most people on this forum know that SSRIs are totally unpredictable in their action and that no one really know how they work.

ECT is exactly the same....400 volts across a human brain to induce a convulsion...where is the science in that?

Please inform yourself before commiting yourself to this treatment.

Peter Breggin's book "The antidepressant fact book" has an interesting chapter on ECT.

"Shock advocates tend to tell patients that memory loss is temporary and surrounds the treatment time only, when in reality the memory loss can wipe out years of educational and career knowledge. Women will return home unable to remember their way around their kitchen or what their daughter's wedding was like two years earlier. Nurses, teachers and other professionals may never again be able to function in their jobs."

"After undergoing shock treatment and before he committed suicide, writer Ernest Hemmingway told his biographer that it caused him to lose his memory and his wish to live"

Just some short but frightening extracts from this chapter.

I know we are all desparate to have relief from this wretched condition, but I think ECT is a step too far.

21g
Male
PSSD after 3 days on Sertraline (50mg) (Aurobindo) December 2016 to date.
Tinnitus, insomnia (1.5 hours/night sleep) poor memory/cognition as a bonus!
Possibly PSSD from October 1998...just didn't realise what I was suffering from! (pre internet)
Lusitanic

Unread post by Lusitanic »

I wouldn't mind to try ECT...but it's very expensive.

ECT in present days is much more safer than in the 90´s or 60's...deep TMS seems also a good alternartive. If i had enough money i would tried everything possible...
jjr81

Unread post by jjr81 »

Hey. I'm new to the board and just started TMS today. I have full PSSD and emotional blunting, as well as other terrible side effects. I wish I had done it earlier as I've suffered from terrible OCD and anxiety for 20+ years. I'm suicidal honestly. This is the last straw. But I figured I should throw some things at it before I go. I will keep you all updated. If this doesn't work I might try ECT. I have nothing to lose at this point. Wish you all luck as well.
iull1k

Unread post by iull1k »

jjr81 wrote:Hey. I'm new to the board and just started TMS today. I have full PSSD and emotional blunting, as well as other terrible side effects. I wish I had done it earlier as I've suffered from terrible OCD and anxiety for 20+ years. I'm suicidal honestly. This is the last straw. But I figured I should throw some things at it before I go. I will keep you all updated. If this doesn't work I might try ECT. I have nothing to lose at this point. Wish you all luck as well.
I wish you good luck buddy! Do you have now OCD and anxiety or PSSD vanished these symptoms?
Glk87

Unread post by Glk87 »

Please let me know how the tms goes,cheers.
jjr81

Unread post by jjr81 »

I would say my anxiety is now mostly gone. I had been diagnosed with "refractory" anxiety but I bet it became that way from chronic benzo use as well. I had some akathasia for awhile after my crash but it's gone now. My OCD is also mostly gone too. I still sometimes do compulsions out of habit but the anxiety driving them isn't there.
Had my second TMS treatment today. I'll keep you guys posted. I wish everyone the best.
Last edited by jjr81 on Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sinceCelexa2010

Unread post by sinceCelexa2010 »

Hey jjr81, how’d TMS go for you?

Here’s my take on ECT and TMS (no firsthand experience yet):
A while ago 60 Minutes ran a very positive story on ECT, while also pointing out that some doctors are inducing seizures with magnetic stimulation now also, that option being even safer. I’ve kept the treatment in mind, but my recent research has really dissuaded me. Apparently the benefit is just some short-term positive release one might get after any sort of brain trauma. And it’s destructive effect on memory cannot be predicted: people report losing large chunks of memory/ability/etc. Is it beneficial to have a seizure? There is far more effort in medicine put towards treating and preventing seizures versus inducing them. That said, the one patient on 60 minutes was certainly a believer, and I’ve talked to an anesthesiologist who has seen people benefit from it as well. I will not be signing up anytime soon though.

TMS on the other hand has shined in my recent research. Still more to do, but if any of you have a chance to take a look at the book “Switched On” about an Aspberger’s patient who took part in some TMS research and felt/sensed a full spectrum of human emotion for the first time, I’m sure you will be intrigued. If they are treating some Depression cases and some Autism cases with TMS, a strategy to treat PSSD may be within reach as well.
felipekj

Unread post by felipekj »

I tried ECT, it went well regarding depression, but didn´t worked for PSSD,I don´t remember well how many sessions I had, but It was like 20 sessions.