Electroconvulsive therapy - ECT

Post any data on Treatments and experimentation.
GIXXER

Re: Electroconvulsive therapy - ECT

Unread post by GIXXER »

I posted this before. Not sure why it didn't get more attention. Ive also been using a tdcs device for depression. I was skeptical at first but its seems to help.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20170348527A1/en
ThreeKings12341

Unread post by ThreeKings12341 »

sinceCelexa2010 wrote:Hey jjr81, how’d TMS go for you?

Here’s my take on ECT and TMS (no firsthand experience yet):
A while ago 60 Minutes ran a very positive story on ECT, while also pointing out that some doctors are inducing seizures with magnetic stimulation now also, that option being even safer. I’ve kept the treatment in mind, but my recent research has really dissuaded me. Apparently the benefit is just some short-term positive release one might get after any sort of brain trauma. And it’s destructive effect on memory cannot be predicted: people report losing large chunks of memory/ability/etc. Is it beneficial to have a seizure? There is far more effort in medicine put towards treating and preventing seizures versus inducing them. That said, the one patient on 60 minutes was certainly a believer, and I’ve talked to an anesthesiologist who has seen people benefit from it as well. I will not be signing up anytime soon though.

TMS on the other hand has shined in my recent research. Still more to do, but if any of you have a chance to take a look at the book “Switched On” about an Aspberger’s patient who took part in some TMS research and felt/sensed a full spectrum of human emotion for the first time, I’m sure you will be intrigued. If they are treating some Depression cases and some Autism cases with TMS, a strategy to treat PSSD may be within reach as well.

coul u post that paragraph where it says that it made him able to feel emotions again , somehow plz :)
jjr81

Unread post by jjr81 »

I'm still an emotionless zombie unfortunately. TMS maybe helped some with the derealization and akathisia but didn't do much for PSSD or anhedonia. TMS might be good for depression but unfortunately it didn't work for me. I spoke to Dr. Goldstein and am going out to see him soon. I'll try to keep you all updated. I'm struggling badly here. Life was already tough now it's almost impossible :(
sinceCelexa2010

Unread post by sinceCelexa2010 »

ThreeKings12341 wrote:
sinceCelexa2010 wrote:Hey jjr81, how’d TMS go for you?

Here’s my take on ECT and TMS (no firsthand experience yet):
A while ago 60 Minutes ran a very positive story on ECT, while also pointing out that some doctors are inducing seizures with magnetic stimulation now also, that option being even safer. I’ve kept the treatment in mind, but my recent research has really dissuaded me. Apparently the benefit is just some short-term positive release one might get after any sort of brain trauma. And it’s destructive effect on memory cannot be predicted: people report losing large chunks of memory/ability/etc. Is it beneficial to have a seizure? There is far more effort in medicine put towards treating and preventing seizures versus inducing them. That said, the one patient on 60 minutes was certainly a believer, and I’ve talked to an anesthesiologist who has seen people benefit from it as well. I will not be signing up anytime soon though.

TMS on the other hand has shined in my recent research. Still more to do, but if any of you have a chance to take a look at the book “Switched On” about an Aspberger’s patient who took part in some TMS research and felt/sensed a full spectrum of human emotion for the first time, I’m sure you will be intrigued. If they are treating some Depression cases and some Autism cases with TMS, a strategy to treat PSSD may be within reach as well.

coul u post that paragraph where it says that it made him able to feel emotions again , somehow plz :)
Just google “switched on” (book) and hit the preview button (it says 77/318 pages available). The prologue describes his early response, which is expanded upon in later chapters.
ac2022

Unread post by ac2022 »

Twentyoneguns wrote:While I was not suffering from PSSD at the time, I was given 8 sessions of ECT in the mid 90's, this was for severe depression, the first session left me exhausted and confused and just a little relief from the depression, the remaining 7 sessions I went to in absoloute terror.

The nurse that accompanied me to the treatment room described what happened to me...I was under general anaesthetic...the convulsion following the shock was very violent and lasted for about 20 seconds.

After the 8 sessions were finished (4 weeks) and I had time to recover from the experience, it became apparent that I had severe memory loss...thankfully only around the time of the treatment...I dont feel the treatment had any effect on my depression. I was never the most motivated of people, but I feel this made the situation worse.

I think most people on this forum know that SSRIs are totally unpredictable in their action and that no one really know how they work.

ECT is exactly the same....400 volts across a human brain to induce a convulsion...where is the science in that?

Please inform yourself before commiting yourself to this treatment.

Peter Breggin's book "The antidepressant fact book" has an interesting chapter on ECT.

"Shock advocates tend to tell patients that memory loss is temporary and surrounds the treatment time only, when in reality the memory loss can wipe out years of educational and career knowledge. Women will return home unable to remember their way around their kitchen or what their daughter's wedding was like two years earlier. Nurses, teachers and other professionals may never again be able to function in their jobs."

"After undergoing shock treatment and before he committed suicide, writer Ernest Hemmingway told his biographer that it caused him to lose his memory and his wish to live"

Just some short but frightening extracts from this chapter.

I know we are all desparate to have relief from this wretched condition, but I think ECT is a step too far.

21g
Thank you so much for saving others from such things by telling how it actually is.
Sertraline for 5 years. During Sertraline, I experienced mild sexual disfunctions. 1 month after withdrawal, my libido was 0% with severe erection problems.
Lusitanic

Unread post by Lusitanic »

Not really "actually", he's telling you something he did " in the mid 90's"

And Ernest Hemingway did it probably in the 50's....

ECT today is way more safe and effective...if i had the possibility, i would do it...
ac2022

Unread post by ac2022 »

jjr81 wrote:I'm still an emotionless zombie unfortunately. TMS maybe helped some with the derealization and akathisia but didn't do much for PSSD or anhedonia. TMS might be good for depression but unfortunately it didn't work for me. I spoke to Dr. Goldstein and am going out to see him soon. I'll try to keep you all updated. I'm struggling badly here. Life was already tough now it's almost impossible :(
I'm really sorry to hear that.
Please keep us posted regarding your visits.
I think your experiences and laboratory values will help others, too.
Did you already take the survey here? https://www.propeciahelp.com/post-drug- ... ey-launch/
You need to post your story in their forums to get an invitation to participate.

I hope you stay alive in order to help other people who fight with the same problem.
In a German WhatsApp group, people explained that they are currently sueing pharma companies.
Also, they're just searching for scientists and had success.
PSSD /PFS research is just in its beginning.
Sertraline for 5 years. During Sertraline, I experienced mild sexual disfunctions. 1 month after withdrawal, my libido was 0% with severe erection problems.
Janie

Unread post by Janie »

Who is in that lawsuit? Can one still join? Please give some info on how to join that group.