Urecholine (bethanechol)

Post any data on Treatments and experimentation.
Ghost

Urecholine (bethanechol)

Unread post by Ghost »

Edited Feb. 7th, 2019

This thread is dedicated to Urecholine (bethanechol). Several posts have been removed from the original version (see links below).

See the associated PSSD Lab posts on this topic:
Bethanechol (1/30/19): https://pssdlab.wordpress.com/2019/01/31/bethanechol/
Statement on Bethanechol (2/7/19): https://wordpress.com/post/pssdlab.wordpress.com/1829

- Ghost

Literature (Thanks to anacleta - from Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:26 pm)

Treatment of Antidepressant-Induced Sexual Dysfunction - 1998
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=sm
"Bethanechol is a cholinergic agonist that has occasionally been useful in reversing sexual dysfunction associated with TCAs and MAOIs.[70,71,72,73] Typical doses are 10mg to 20mg as needed or 30mg to 100mg daily in a divided dose. Potential side effects with bethanechol include diarrhea, cramps, and diaphoresis. No reports have evaluated or suggested the efficacy of bethanechol for treating SSRI-induced sexual side effects."

Sexual side effects of antidepressant drugs - 2012
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... sant_drugs
"Antidote or Agonist Approaches: ... cholinergic bethanechol [66,67]..."
66. Gross MD. Reversal by bethanechol of sexual dysfunction caused by anticholinergic antidepressants. Am J Psychiatry 1982;139:1193--4.
67. Segraves RT. Reversal by bethanechol of imipramine-induced ejaculatory dysfunction. Am J Psychiatry 1987;144:1243--4

BETHANECOL CHLORIDE FOR TREATMENT OF CLOMIPRAMINE-INDUCED ORGASMIC DYSFUNCTION IN MALES - 2004
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/0862/9 ... 565956.pdf

Bethanechol-induced increase in hypothalamic estrogen receptor binding in female rats is related to capacity for estrogen-dependent reproductive behavior. - 1988
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2900667/

"Neuroactive agents associated with different neurotransmitter systems can modulate the number of hypothalamic estrogen binding sites. It has been demonstrated previously that the muscarinic cholinergic agonist, bethanechol, administered 30 min prior to in vitro estrogen receptor assays increases the concentration of hypothalamic estrogen binding sites by 30-35% in female rats. Bethanechol was without effect on male hypothalamic preparations. In order to investigate further this sex difference and in an attempt to determine a relationship between the modulation of estrogen binding sites and a sexually differentiated function, bethanechol was given to female rats rendered either anovulatory and capable of displaying lordosis or anovulatory and behaviorally insensitive to estrogen. The results showed that bethanechol significantly increased the number of estrogen binding sites in females capable of displaying lordosis but not in females which did not show this estrogen-dependent behavior. It is possible that the capacity for drug-induced modulation of estrogen binding sites could be related functionally to the ability to display lordosis behavior."
- Medical Student & Friendly poltergeist - Lexapro Sept '14. [Hx] [PSSD Lab] [r/PSSD] [Treatment Plan] - Add "Ghost" in replies so I see it :)
Snake

Re: CURED Urecholine (bethanechol)

Unread post by Snake »

I have even found some studies about that drug!

Bethanechol chloride can reverse erectile and ejaculatory dysfunction induced by tricyclic antidepressants and mazindol: case report.
1) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3957884

2)Reversal by bethanechol of sexual dysfunction caused by anticholinergic antidepressants.
Gross MD.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7114318

Those studies concern side effects caused by old-type AD, but I hope it applies to ssri/snri too!
Finding a cure is only a matter of time! Never quit!
Zolofthater420

Unread post by Zolofthater420 »

Omg, this makes me very happy. I go to an Urologist this month. Maybe he can describe me the same. Thank you very much, for making an account and reporting back.
raven100

Unread post by raven100 »

"Bethanechol alleviates dry mouth[1] and is sometimes given orally or subcutaneously to treat urinary retention resulting from general anesthetic, diabetic neuropathy of the bladder, or a side effect of antidepressants; or to treat gastrointestinal lack of muscular tone. The muscarinic receptors in the bladder and gastrointestinal tract stimulate contraction of the bladder and expulsion of urine, and increased gastrointestinal motility, respectively. Bethanechol should be used to treat these disorders only after mechanical obstruction is ruled out as a possible cause."
PSSD Since March 2016 after 4 weeks on Sertraline
Conditioned worsened and peaked in April, since then possibly seen a 20% improvement
Would be useful for data collection if people could add their histories in their signature
CuredPSSD

Unread post by CuredPSSD »

I once read somewhere that a guy went through pssd after surgery. And atropine should be given before surgery and the atropine should be reversed after surgery. Some people have written about improvements with an antibiotic, this is very possible because some antibiotics work on acetylcholine. Focus on the M1, M2, M3, M4, M5 receptors, acetylcholine, and atropine (used for surgery). It's possible that something is not playing here.

(edited by ghost 2/7/19)
Last edited by CuredPSSD on Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CuredPSSD

Unread post by CuredPSSD »

--
iull1k

Unread post by iull1k »

1. Have you lost your social life? Were you able to feel love? How was your imagination/creativity affected?
2.How was you memory attention and cognition?
3.Do you describe skin numbness as absence of sexual sensation or as skin anesthesia? For example during oral sex i barely feel something, like it's under anesthesia.
4. IMPORTANT! How you reacted to alcohol during your PSSD time?
I don't want to bother you with all shitty questions but it's very important for us to understand from which state you recovered and how it was possible. Thank you.
P.s. Were are you from?
Last edited by iull1k on Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glitch

Unread post by Glitch »

Bethanechol directly stimulates muscarinic acetylcholine receptors. That's actually really interesting. Here is an excerpt from the wiki page:

"Muscarinic acetylcholine receptors, or mAChRs, are acetylcholine receptors that form G protein-coupled receptor complexes in the cell membranes of certain neurons and other cells."

Wasn't G protein-coupling a pretty big topic on here before? This is the only half decent thing I've heard on these boards in a long time.
anacleta

Unread post by anacleta »

thank you for your testimony. Did the urologist prescribe you bethanechol with the indication of post-ssri sexual dysfunction or did you have any other indications? did you take exams that showed other problems?
Glitch

Unread post by Glitch »

Yes, I would also like to know if you had other symptoms:

-Did you have urinary symptoms?

-How did your urologist even come to this conclusion? Did he give you any tests for nerve damage?