NoFap + edging: a behavioral strategy

Post any data on Treatments and experimentation.
yesterday

NoFap + edging: a behavioral strategy

Unread post by yesterday »

I'm wary of all pharmacological cures. Earlier this year I tried acute tryptophan depletion and experienced some alarming side effects, so I stopped, even though the scientific papers I was reading described the regimen as safe. I think neuropharmacology is kind of in its infancy; there are tons of drug mechanisms that we don't know about, even for well-studied medications. I'm also familiar with the replication crisis in science, and it's even worse in basic lab research than it is in psychology. 90% of pre-clinical cancer research doesn't replicate. The state of science being what it is, I'm glad other people are willing to experiment on themselves because I am waaaay too scared to do so.

On the other hand, in the history of psychology, behavioral interventions have a reasonably good track record, and they are more likely to be safe. I figure, you can train your brain by doing the thing you want to get better at. So I've been trying to spend as much time as possible feeling horny.

I got the idea because it's November, NoFap is traditional this month (although I only remembered it was a thing on Nov 4). If I go without masturbating for five or six days, I actually feel sexually frustrated, almost like my old self. In the past when I've tried this, when I did finally get off the orgasm was extremely weak, a complete disappointment. So what I've been trying to do is edge - get horny without getting off - several times a day, every day. (It probably helps that I'm female because I don't have to worry about visible erections at work.)

Seems to be helping so far? I definitely feel more like my old self. Anxiety is a bit higher because I'm not getting off, and it's a bit harder to sleep, so I have to do more exercise to compensate - but that's good for me anyway. I'll let you know if I can keep this up long term, and if it helps.
yesterday

Re: NoFap + edging: a behavioral strategy

Unread post by yesterday »

This worked in the short term but after about four weeks my libido went down to zero. I held out for another few weeks in case *that* was a random fluctuation, but no. I've started finishing again and returned to the PSSD baseline. Ah well, was worth a shot.