Hypertonic Sodium Salts/Sodium Bicarb as a treatment for genital numbness

Post any data on Treatments and experimentation.
PSSD_Throwaway28

Hypertonic Sodium Salts/Sodium Bicarb as a treatment for genital numbness

Unread post by PSSD_Throwaway28 »

Hi All,

I was poking around google scholar today and found something that hasn't really been discussed on here before. Many of us believe that the somatic genital numbness PSSD sufferers experience is caused by a blocking/dysregulation of some of the sodium gated ion channels that persists after the cessation of treatment. I think this is a promising theory for several reasons: (1) it explains why our genitals can be insensitive to temperature changes/friction/pain stimuli even after other aspects of sexual functioning have improved (2) there is peer-reviewed research that SSRI's like Sertraline and Paroxetine act as sodium channel blockers, which may explain why they are often effective treatments for neuropathic pain management.

Now, unfortunately there isn't much research on how to *unblock* these channels since it is often dangerous to mess with sodium channels and the main therapeutic interests of most researchers is pain management, but I did come across one article entitled "Management of Sodium Channel-Blocker Poising: The role of Hypertonic Sodium Salts."https://www.europeanreview.org/wp/wp-co ... ds/695.pdf

According to this article, doctors/hospitals have used sodium bicarbonate and sodium lactate to reverse the effects of substance poisoning involving sodium-channel blockers including tricyclic antidepressants. Apparently, these sodium compounds can effectively reverse the block, although the underlying mechanism is not fully understood.

Of course, the reversal effect discussed in the article takes place when the blocking-substance is still in the body, but maybe it would still be worth thinking about whether we can utilize these same compounds to reverse or manage genital numbness in our case. Of course, you would have to be very careful, since obviously the sodium ion channels are essential to our functioning so you would not want to cause any general dysregulation by ingesting a ton of baking soda. Perhaps though a consistent, low dose could be helpful and have a favorable risk/reward ratio?

Anecdotally, I had a ton of blood tests/urine tests done about 2 weeks ago while experiencing the best window I have ever had with regard to improved genital sensitivity, and while unsurprisingly almost all my levels (e.g. test, nutrients, thyroid) came back great, my doc did say that my sodium was somewhat above the normal range. This could just be grasping at straws, but given the research presented here, could there have been a connection between my high sodium and improved genital sensation, and if so, how do we utilize this info?
Tree

Re: Hypertonic Sodium Salts/Sodium Bicarb as a treatment for genital numbness

Unread post by Tree »

I started drinking carbonated water and I noticed an increase sensation in my genitals but after a few days it seems to have worn off followed by increased cognitive symptoms.

There seems to be some support for your findings "Sertraline may inhibit 5-HTT by inhibiting Na+ channels, increasing the extracellular 5-HT levels."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9386738/

This also supports why I don't have any thirst sensation and my sodium levels are low too.

Sertraline, a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor, affects thirst, salt appetite and plasma levels of oxytocin and vasopressin in rats

https://physoc.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/ ... 007.037358

Sertraline is such a nasty fucking drug I have no idea how it's legal to consume. FML
Determined-Mind

Unread post by Determined-Mind »

Interesting.

A few years ago on this forum were discussed the use of Capsaicin and a person had observed an improvement in his sensitivity - but no improvement in the pleasure felt (read the testimonial).

By the way, I didn't understand the link between blood tests and improvement of symptoms? How have your sodium levels increased? Through diet?

In this case, there would be no need to ingest sodium bicarbonate, chips packets could do the job. ^^
:arrow: You're looking for a cure or want to help the community? I've created an interactive table listing possible treatments for PSSD.

Feel free to contribute anonymously and share your experiences with different substances (+150 options)!
The_Eye

Unread post by The_Eye »

Determined-Mind wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:05 am Interesting.

A few years ago on this forum were discussed the use of Capsaicin and a person had observed an improvement in his sensitivity - but no improvement in the pleasure felt (read the testimonial).

By the way, I didn't understand the link between blood tests and improvement of symptoms? How have your sodium levels increased? Through diet?

In this case, there would be no need to ingest sodium bicarbonate, chips packets could do the job. ^^
Well that's very interesting to know, because with Forskolin 50 mg it seems my pleasure has increased ( still zero sensitivity ).
If capsaicin increase sensitivity, that would make a nice combo to try !! I hope it's safe for the prostate gland tho
Determined-Mind

Unread post by Determined-Mind »

Wow, forskolin 50 mg helped you increase pleasure! That's so cool! How long have you been taking it? How long has it been since you felt any change in pleasure?

Are you talking about sexual/body pleasure or pleasure in activities?

I find it hard to understand how you can feel pleasure (if sexual pleasure) without sensitivity.

Thanks for sharing more descriptions :-)
:arrow: You're looking for a cure or want to help the community? I've created an interactive table listing possible treatments for PSSD.

Feel free to contribute anonymously and share your experiences with different substances (+150 options)!