Agomelatine as a potential treatment for post SSRI anhedonia

Post any data on Treatments and experimentation.
pat-ml

Agomelatine as a potential treatment for post SSRI anhedonia

Unread post by pat-ml »

The user /u/ThatDamnVikingGirl claims to have successfully treated her antidepressant-induced anhedonia using agomelatine (Valdoxan).
I have exactly the same problem, following antidepressants. I had : anhedonia (totale anhedonia), lost my inner voice, tremors, cardiovascular problems, and totale insomnia. I took psy drugs for a very short period of time.

My symptoms never improved with time, but I found another drug myself who helped me with anhedonia (Valdoxan), I recovered something like 80% of my emotions, so the situation is not totally desperate.
https://www.reddit.com/r/neuro/comments ... &context=3
Sb919

Re: Agomelatine as a potential treatment for post SSRI anhedonia

Unread post by Sb919 »

Not the first time I've heard of this. I wonder if anyone else has given it a try.

This report claims something similar. Sadly it is not approved in the US.
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/ful ... /pcn.12032
ErgogenicHealth

Unread post by ErgogenicHealth »

I am very tempted to trial this compound soon.
bockemossen

Unread post by bockemossen »

I really liked Agomelatine. It consistently gave me a warm and pleasant feeling every night I took it. For several years. I only took it 5 days a week, maybe that stopped tolerance. Definitely helped with anhedonia but not emotional numbness I think. This was just acute effects after taking the pill. But I think it helped with depression/anhedonia in the daytime as well. Made me groggy in the morning though.
Thomas

Unread post by Thomas »

What about taking melatonin, then?
Some people (including me) feel better with melatonin.
Escitalopram, 10mg/day, Jan-May 2019. Fluoxetine, May-Sept 2019. Mirtazapine 7,5mg/day, November 2019-January 2020. Escitalopram, 5mg/day, Feb-May 2020.
Symptoms: sexual & emotional numbness
bockemossen

It's the 5ht2c antagonism that relieves anhedonia. Not the melatonin receptor agonism. But if it's correcting bad sleep/circadian rhythm maybe that has an effect.
Thomas

Unread post by Thomas »

bockemossen wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:22 am It's the 5ht2c antagonism that relieves anhedonia.
Ok, but Agomelatine is quite weak as 5HT2C antagonist. Mirtazapine and mianserin are way stronger if this is what you are looking for.
Escitalopram, 10mg/day, Jan-May 2019. Fluoxetine, May-Sept 2019. Mirtazapine 7,5mg/day, November 2019-January 2020. Escitalopram, 5mg/day, Feb-May 2020.
Symptoms: sexual & emotional numbness
bockemossen

Thomas wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:06 am
bockemossen wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:22 am It's the 5ht2c antagonism that relieves anhedonia.
Ok, but Agomelatine is quite weak as 5HT2C antagonist. Mirtazapine and mianserin are way stronger if this is what you are looking for.
Yes it is. Still, I felt almost recreational effects from it acutely. I haven't felt anything like that with melatonin. Mirtazapine and mianserin seems risky though. And a lot more dirty.