Give inositol another chance

Post any data on Treatments and experimentation.
DrugsAreBad

Give inositol another chance

Unread post by DrugsAreBad »

I've experimented with inositol in the past and I've recently started again. The results are wildly inconsistent, but on a few occasions and only as a rebound effect after the effects have worn off, I have felt largely "cured". Not exactly as before. Different. But close enough.

Unfortunately I can't recommend a protocol, because as I said, the results are inconsistent. Sometimes I'll take it and get numb. Sometimes nothing happens, but then 12-24 hours later I feel cured. Sometimes a very small dose has a profound effect and a large dose barely does anything, and so on.

But sometimes it works. That's reason enough to keep experimenting.

The only consistent part is that positive effects have been:
(1) always on rebound, about 12-24 hours after taking it (unfortunately the positive effect wears off after another 12 or so hours)
(2) when taken for short periods
(3) at small doses

For a while I thought that if a small dose resulted in a positive rebound effect, then maybe a larger dose for a longer period of time would result in a larger rebound effect that would last longer. This would be consistent with the protocol that a number of people have tried with 18g/day for weeks. Well, so far, larger doses for longer periods have been the least effective. Every time inositol has worked, it has been a smaller dose for a shorter time period. But it doesn't work every time. I don't know if less is more, or if it has to be the right dose, or the right time, but the assumption that if it works, then larger doses for longer periods is better, seems to be wrong.

Again, the results are wildly inconsistent, but the fact that it works sometimes, is reason enough to keep experimenting.

If you try inositol, I highly encourage you to keep a log where you note how much you took and when. Then the next day, write down the effects. Even if the effect is nothing, write that down anyway. If enough people try, we might find a pattern.

---

Dosage in milligrams: usually variations of 50, 100, 150, 200, 250, 250 and up to 10 000, sometimes in the morning, sometimes in the evening, and sometimes mixed with equal amounts of choline bitartrate.
MisterCharlie

Re: Give inositol another chance

Unread post by MisterCharlie »

Im trying 2grams of myo-inositol once a week. Seems to help erections and libido, but the day I take it, I cant "feel" the first orgasm (if I try), which isnt even one of my usual symptoms. Also getting some serious anxiety around when I take the dose. Looking into ways to increase SERT.
DrugsAreBad

Unread post by DrugsAreBad »

Sounds like for you also, it's the rebound that's positive. Now if there's a way to get that to stick...

I'm guessing anxiety in this case is a positive indicator. It's the opposite of the emotional blunting people experience on ssris and is often the reason people went on ssris in the first place.
Integra

Unread post by Integra »

DrugsAreBad wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:25 am Sounds like for you also, it's the rebound that's positive. Now if there's a way to get that to stick...

I'm guessing anxiety in this case is a positive indicator. It's the opposite of the emotional blunting people experience on ssris and is often the reason people went on ssris in the first place.
No, anxiety it's not indicator. People have anxiety for years without any emotions.
Tree

Unread post by Tree »

DrugsAreBad wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:25 am Sounds like for you also, it's the rebound that's positive. Now if there's a way to get that to stick...

I disagree. It's been shown that 5ht1a knockout mice exhibit increased anxious behavior. When I got serotonin syndrome, it induced a panic state, even though I was emotionally numb.
Tree

Unread post by Tree »

MisterCharlie wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:26 pm Im trying 2grams of myo-inositol once a week. Seems to help erections and libido, but the day I take it, I cant "feel" the first orgasm (if I try), which isnt even one of my usual symptoms. Also getting some serious anxiety around when I take the dose. Looking into ways to increase SERT.
Inositol increases 5ht release in the dorsal raphe with chronic use it will desensitize 5ht1a more.
MisterCharlie

Tree wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:39 pm
MisterCharlie wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:26 pm Im trying 2grams of myo-inositol once a week. Seems to help erections and libido, but the day I take it, I cant "feel" the first orgasm (if I try), which isnt even one of my usual symptoms. Also getting some serious anxiety around when I take the dose. Looking into ways to increase SERT.
Inositol increases 5ht release in the dorsal raphe with chronic use it will desensitize 5ht1a more.
studies or research articles?
Tree

Unread post by Tree »

MisterCharlie wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:39 pm
Tree wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:39 pm
studies or research articles?
I read an article a while back that inositol hyper excites serotonin neurons in the raphe. This would desensitize receptors in the raphe which are predominantly presynaptic 5ht1a receptors. More desensitized receptors causes greater serotonin release in the raphe. It's like adding fuel to the fire. I can't even microdose inositol without getting massive migraines. It is believed migraine are caused by excessive 5ht firing in the raphe. My experience fits like a glove to the research.
MisterCharlie

Tree wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:48 am
I read an article a while back that inositol hyper excites serotonin neurons in the raphe. This would desensitize receptors in the raphe which are predominantly presynaptic 5ht1a receptors. More desensitized receptors causes greater serotonin release in the raphe. It's like adding fuel to the fire. I can't even microdose inositol without getting massive migraines. It is believed migraine are caused by excessive 5ht firing in the raphe. My experience fits like a glove to the research.
OK so no actual research studies/articles?