Potential Avenues to Investigate

This is for hypothesis and even educated speculation.
naiverat

Re: Potential Avenues to Investigate

Unread post by naiverat »

I haven’t been super active on the forum, so I hadn’t been monitoring this topic.

I’m not sure exactly what is under the hood, but it appears the low body temps are common in the post-drug communities (many have them here as well as on PropeciaHelp).

It doesn’t seem the solution is as easy as raising metabolic rate with thyroid, either. My TSH, fT4, fT3, rT3, binding globulin and antibody numbers have all been good, yet the slow metabolic rate remains. Additionally, I developed some extreme fatigue for a while, which may or may not be related to whatever is happening here.

Something interesting I noted: taking straight t3 (cytomel) doesn’t raise my body temperatures; however, it does raise serum T3. The odd part is serum T3 and TSH should be inversely related, given that the binding of t3 back at the hypothalamus should shut off the feedback loop. When taking t3, my TSH didn’t go down; in fact, it went up, paradoxically.

It appears serum t3 is of little value in my case. My body is not responding to the active thyroid hormone at the tissue level.

I’ve looked into what can cause this more, and I found a few possibilities:

Adrenal dysfunction - specifically high cortisol - can impair t3 signaling.

Low b vitamins, specifically b1 and b2 - these somehow increase t3 signaling at the tissue level in some cases. I haven’t tried these yet, but I will in the future and report back here.

I’m on high doses of TRT now, so it appears the T is artificially raising my metabolic rate. I’m not sure whether this is super healthy if I don’t have the backbone systems to support such high levels. I’m going to get bloods when possible and try to figure out the interplay between the adrenals, thyroid, and hormones, then adjust from there.

At this point, I don’t really have enough information and do not want to introduce any additional variables
Fluoxetine Jan. '16 - Aug. 16'. Low libido, weak erections, CNS dysfunction, anhedonia

Windows on the following: Inositol, choline, NAC + Histidine, MSM, SJW, L-Arginine, Sildenafil, Naltrexone, boron
defmyst

Unread post by defmyst »

The organic acids test I did a while back showed a deficiency in B vitamins. Even before I did that test, my urologist prescribed me a cocktail of B vitamins to take. I don't know how important or relevant this whole thing is to our situation, but I just wanted to expand on your comment about B vitamins. Don't now how prevalent this deficiency is across the community though.
Delfador

Unread post by Delfador »

naiverat wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:03 pm I haven’t been super active on the forum, so I hadn’t been monitoring this topic.

I’m not sure exactly what is under the hood, but it appears the low body temps are common in the post-drug communities (many have them here as well as on PropeciaHelp).

It doesn’t seem the solution is as easy as raising metabolic rate with thyroid, either. My TSH, fT4, fT3, rT3, binding globulin and antibody numbers have all been good, yet the slow metabolic rate remains. Additionally, I developed some extreme fatigue for a while, which may or may not be related to whatever is happening here.

Something interesting I noted: taking straight t3 (cytomel) doesn’t raise my body temperatures; however, it does raise serum T3. The odd part is serum T3 and TSH should be inversely related, given that the binding of t3 back at the hypothalamus should shut off the feedback loop. When taking t3, my TSH didn’t go down; in fact, it went up, paradoxically.

It appears serum t3 is of little value in my case. My body is not responding to the active thyroid hormone at the tissue level.
I'm starting to think that pssd is due to a broken link in all, or in a certain class of g-protein coupled receptors signaling. It may be due to a dysfunction in one subunit of the gpcr, in this case, we should look for which class of g protein is broken. Or it may be in intracellular signaling pathways, and in this case we should classify gpcrs by wether they raise or lower camp, pip, etc...
naiverat

^ Yeah - we can speculate until we are blue in the face (maybe bad expression....), but we won't really ever know what the hell is going on in our bodies until some type of formal research is conducted, which, if we could even get our act together and fund it, would still take years.

All we can do is try to infer what processes are malfunctioning based on symptoms, blood work, and responses to drugs, but it's far from ideal. There appear to really be few, if any, commonalities in bloodwork and drug responses. One substance improves one person while it crashes another. Feels like real-life mine sweeper -- without any logic behind it.
Fluoxetine Jan. '16 - Aug. 16'. Low libido, weak erections, CNS dysfunction, anhedonia

Windows on the following: Inositol, choline, NAC + Histidine, MSM, SJW, L-Arginine, Sildenafil, Naltrexone, boron
climb

Unread post by climb »

naiverat wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:26 am ^ Yeah - we can speculate until we are blue in the face (maybe bad expression....), but we won't really ever know what the hell is going on in our bodies until some type of formal research is conducted, which, if we could even get our act together and fund it, would still take years.
There are opportunities for us to help fund research, such as Melcangi's PSSD study.

We can donate here:
https://it.gofundme.com/f/27l8qmes5c

We've been asking for research for ages, now the opportunity arises, people have to contribute what they can afford in order to help.

There are other scientists beginning to show an interest too.
Not all kinds of research are necessarily hugely expensive to fund. It depends on what they want to look at. We must help these people to help us.
naiverat

^ I’m aware. I was championing for Melcangi to complete this research about a year ago.

I really hope we can raise (far) beyond the 10k and really make a dent in unveiling this mystery. Unfortunately, this isn’t the most wealthy of communities, so we will likely need to spread awareness among friends, families, and the public in order to collect the necessary funds.

I haven’t seen an official post on the forum regarding this research, just conversations over the discord platform. Is there a thread yet? It would seem to be a much better platform on which to hold information and answer questions. The information on discord is fleeting and difficult to find at a later date.

climb

Unread post by climb »

naiverat wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:05 am ^ I’m aware. I was championing for Melcangi to complete this research about a year ago.

I really hope we can raise (far) beyond the 10k and really make a dent in unveiling this mystery. Unfortunately, this isn’t the most wealthy of communities, so we will likely need to spread awareness among friends, families, and the public in order to collect the necessary funds.

I haven’t seen an official post on the forum regarding this research, just conversations over the discord platform. Is there a thread yet? It would seem to be a much better platform on which to hold information and answer questions. The information on discord is fleeting and difficult to find at a later date.
good man. There is a thread, it has resurfaced again now, and progress is being made. When we have the hub page for the PSSD, PFS, PAS federation, we can keep this kind of thing there so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle on the forums.