Change in sexual orientation after quiting SSRIs

This is for hypothesis and even educated speculation.
Leb89

Re: Change in sexual orientation after quiting SSRIs

Unread post by Leb89 »

Besides from your changes into homosexual desires, do you have any PSSD symptoms?
Halan

Unread post by Halan »

bolor wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:02 pm Thank you for all of the replies.

So, based on your ideas and my own research, I got all of these hypothesis:

1. Loss of self identity. I really feel this. Really unsure of who am I anymore. I used to be a very, very sexual guy before the SSRIs, and used to do extreme things to get sex from women. Man completely disgusted back them. I would feel like a "predator" somehow. Now I don't feel this strong masculinity anymore.

2. A dysfunction in my Serotonin balance. They've been linking low serotonin to rats bisexual behavior: https://www.livescience.com/13408-brain ... ation.html

3. Having HOCD

4. Just having realized that I have gay thoughts

5. Having somehow become more to the "gay side" over the years

PS: I am still attracted to women, so I can't identify myself as gay either. This generates a lot of confusion. If was 100% gay I could just rule out women. It's much harder to be on the fence.
It's something really strange. Almost 100% of us were hypersexual before PSSD. This is something very, very interesting and should not be ignored.
100% is a big fucking number.
And many of us had OCD too. I had it.
rmichaelballow

Unread post by rmichaelballow »

bolor wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:05 am This is very shameful to me, so I'd beg other fellow members to take this seriously.

I am a 34 yr male. I took SSRIs since my 20s, and then I decided to stop it gradually. Now I am medication free.
I am not feeling depressed. Except...
That since I quit SSRIs I started feeling more and more inclined to have homosexual sex, even though I always identified myself as a straight man, have been married, had a lot of girlfriends and all that, and I was pretty happy with being straight.

So now I am feeling very vulnerable, almost as if I lost all of my masculinity. It's like I can't identify as being a man anymore.

Please help.
There is something to this. Mechanistically, it's a bit out of my range of research, but you're not the first person to express this.
Delfador

Unread post by Delfador »

Halan wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:51 pm
It's something really strange. Almost 100% of us were hypersexual before PSSD. This is something very, very interesting and should not be ignored.
100% is a big fucking number.
And many of us had OCD too. I had it.
That statistic is not true, it's only due to a selection/reporting bias. People who were hypersexual and developped pssd are much more likelyto report their past hypersexuality, than people who had low or normal libido before. It may also be a reason why pssd is underreported: only hypersexual people feel the striking difference.

I for one was not hypersexual and many here can say the same.

To answer you OP, I totally understand you.

Since pssd, I sometimes feel weirdly aroused by homosexual fantasies and feel nothing for women at that time. But those instances are still rare for me and I believe I am still straight.

I was not bi prior to pssd and dated women only.
Halan

Unread post by Halan »

Delfador wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:55 pm That statistic is not true, it's only due to a selection/reporting bias. People who were hypersexual and developped pssd are much more likelyto report their past hypersexuality, than people who had low or normal libido before. It may also be a reason why pssd is underreported: only hypersexual people feel the striking difference.

I for one was not hypersexual and many here can say the same.
Maybe. My basis is a thread made here in this forum. Almost 100% of the people replying the thread were hypersexual before PSSD. This is why I said "almost 100% of us".

Maybe it's reporting bias, I don't know. But one thing I'm sure: this shouldn't be ignored and should be investigated.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1785&hilit=hypersexual
PsychoGenesis

Unread post by PsychoGenesis »

it's VERY similar to roid rage, but opposite
it only amplifies what is already is there
the thing is that hormones/neurosteroids are not neurotransmitters, they effectively change your brain before you take conscious notice, and susceptible people will change orientation accordingly...

https://www.amazon.com/Principles-Hormo ... B0792V1C2M

the studies about bisphenol(another estrogenic endocrine disruptor) changing sex in amphibians are just an extrapolation of what's happening with humans already.
chris27

Unread post by chris27 »

bolor wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:05 am This is very shameful to me, so I'd beg other fellow members to take this seriously.

I am a 34 yr male. I took SSRIs since my 20s, and then I decided to stop it gradually. Now I am medication free.
I am not feeling depressed. Except...
That since I quit SSRIs I started feeling more and more inclined to have homosexual sex, even though I always identified myself as a straight man, have been married, had a lot of girlfriends and all that, and I was pretty happy with being straight.

So now I am feeling very vulnerable, almost as if I lost all of my masculinity. It's like I can't identify as being a man anymore.

Please help.
Good grief - why would you let this bother you? If you want to bone a guy - go for it. You'll probably enjoy it.
It's not my thing, but I've often thought life might be a bit more fun if it was.
ocono_2020

Unread post by ocono_2020 »

Is castrated considered a change in orientation?
Maxin

Unread post by Maxin »

I feel like this had to be related to dht in some way. I have been following that gabby petito case. I feel like in so many instances, these guys that flip and murder their wives or gf’s are balding and hairy, lol! Like their dht or masculinity is over displaying (not the right word)
There are lots of cases with propecia, where after using men get the urge to grow breast or transgender. They Never had this urge before propecia (not trying to put homosexuality and transgender in the same box). But it’s definitely happened and interesting to me. One guy has fully transitioned after propecia. He was happily married before with none of these tendencies. You can search his story pretty easily online.

Sexuality has become so politicized that it’s become taboo to even research. Which is a bummer because it could tell us a lot. Like your saying something is wrong with it if you have to do studies. I get it, but it’s also fascinating when a person can change their sexuality as they age (as hormones drop). How does serotonin effect sexuality? We know how closely linked estrogen and serotonin are.
On a philosophical level life is all about balance. Testosterone estrogen. Dopamine estrogen. Yes no. Tip a scale and things present differently.