PSSD half a decade later: My brain MRI w/ contrast dye

This is for hypothesis and even educated speculation.
Meso

Re: PSSD half a decade later: My brain MRI w/ contrast dye

Unread post by Meso »

Naczoz wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:49 am I do not fully agree.

The fact that there are no anatomical abnormalities is one thing, but there can be heavy receptors fuckup and the only way to examin it is postmortem histology.
You do realize that "heavy receptors fuckup" is not brain injury? it's a maladaptive neuroplastic response. Even tardive dyskinesia is not brain injury; it's maladaptive neuroplastic response.
"The Research Zone" is permanently down.
You are welcome to join my Discord research server: Click Here
Naczoz

Unread post by Naczoz »

Well its like tomahto tomato, it all comes down to situation sam as tardive dyskinesia as you mentioned that once it clicked - it seems to be irreversible, only with some minor improvement over the years, just like dr Haley said, they have tardive dyskinesia, we have tardive dyserotica lol
Meso

Unread post by Meso »

Naczoz wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:20 am Well its like tomahto tomato, it all comes down to situation sam as tardive dyskinesia as you mentioned that once it clicked - it seems to be irreversible, only with some minor improvement over the years, just like dr Haley said, they have tardive dyskinesia, we have tardive dyserotica lol
It's really not the same. PSSD cannot be classified under neurodegenerative disorders (gross brain injury) like ALS, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, Huntington's, and so forth, not even chemotherapeutic neurotoxicity. The article is there to point this fact out as there are some doomsayers that are convinced that PSSD is irreversible brain damage similar to the aforementioned conditions.

I agree with Healy that PSSD is a maladaptive neuroplastic response that's a little similar to tardive dyskinesia. This doesn't mean that it's irreversible. You might argue that tardive dyskinesia is irreversible but let me point out that tardive dyskinesia can start out as "dyskinesia" without the "tardive" part, due to a dopaminergic release rebound. At this pre-tardive stage, so to speak, it's still reversible if the antipsychotic is stopped soon enough.

Only excessive neural remodeling leads to a tardive state, and might be present in very severe forms of PSSD that started out as a hypomanic reaction to antidepressants and/or ADs combined with cannabis, as the endocannabinoid system is heavily involved with neuroplasticity, same as the glutamatergic system.
CN9

Unread post by CN9 »

Meso wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:34 am and might be present in very severe forms of PSSD that started out as a hypomanic reaction to antidepressants and/or ADs combined with cannabis, as the endocannabinoid system is heavily involved with neuroplasticity, same as the glutamatergic system.
so is Cannabis bad for us?
I did smoke one J every night from 2010 till 2018... (Escitalopram 2012 - 2016, Sertraline summer 2017)
Meso

Unread post by Meso »

CN9 wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:00 am so is Cannabis bad for us?
I did smoke one J every night from 2010 till 2018... (Escitalopram 2012 - 2016, Sertraline summer 2017)
Cannabis is one of the worst crash-inducing substances for PSSD. I've spoken to many patients who crashed permanently after doing cannabis while having PSSD, and a few others who got severe PSSD by combining cannabis with antidepressants.

Although cannabis can help some people with sexual symptoms, I'd stay the hell away from it; not worth the risk.
Janie

Unread post by Janie »

To my knowledge (based on 4-5 persons experience as not many used these tests) QEEG and SPECT is able to detect the loss of brain function after antidepressant. I personally had QEEG after 2,5 years off. I still suffered from severe cognitive issues, chronic fatigue syndrome, pssd, you name it. The picture was like of someone with TBI (not my words but the doctor's who made the test) affecting several brain areas, mainly frontal and limbic lobe. MRI never showed anything even when I was suffering Alzheimers like issues.
Meso

Unread post by Meso »

Janie wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:47 pm To my knowledge (based on 4-5 persons experience as not many used these tests) QEEG and SPECT is able to detect the loss of brain function after antidepressant. I personally had QEEG after 2,5 years off. I still suffered from severe cognitive issues, chronic fatigue syndrome, pssd, you name it. The picture was like of someone with TBI (not my words but the doctor's who made the test) affecting several brain areas, mainly frontal and limbic lobe. MRI never showed anything even when I was suffering Alzheimers like issues.
I'm bed-ridden without my symptomatic relief regimen. PSSD can be really severe, I'm in no way saying that it's a milder condition than other illnesses. Loss of function can be great indeed.

I've seen a couple of QEEG reports from patients as well as a PET scan showing hypofrontality. It's such a serious thing having cortical malfunction. It's akin to having negative symptoms of schizophrenia.

However, it still doesn't qualify as gross brain damage. It can either be: 1- a maladaptive neuroplastic response like in TD, 2- microscopic injury (i.e. epigenetic mutations, mitochondrial disease, etc.). These two possibilities often overlap as, for instance, epigenetic mutations can be a downstream manifestation of neuroplasticity. On the other hand, maladaptive neuroplasticity can lead to microscopic anomalies that can be mimick microscopic injuries to some degree.

For all intents and purposes, PSSD is not a neurotoxic event (unless certain circumstances exist of course, like polydrug abuse or mania/excitotoxicity).
CN9

Unread post by CN9 »

CN9 wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:00 am
Meso wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:34 am and might be present in very severe forms of PSSD that started out as a hypomanic reaction to antidepressants and/or ADs combined with cannabis, as the endocannabinoid system is heavily involved with neuroplasticity, same as the glutamatergic system.
so is Cannabis bad for us?

thanks, but too late
Janie

Unread post by Janie »

Meso wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:37 pm
Janie wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:47 pm To my knowledge (based on 4-5 persons experience as not many used these tests) QEEG and SPECT is able to detect the loss of brain function after antidepressant. I personally had QEEG after 2,5 years off. I still suffered from severe cognitive issues, chronic fatigue syndrome, pssd, you name it. The picture was like of someone with TBI (not my words but the doctor's who made the test) affecting several brain areas, mainly frontal and limbic lobe. MRI never showed anything even when I was suffering Alzheimers like issues.
I'm bed-ridden without my symptomatic relief regimen. PSSD can be really severe, I'm in no way saying that it's a milder condition than other illnesses. Loss of function can be great indeed.

I've seen a couple of QEEG reports from patients as well as a PET scan showing hypofrontality. It's such a serious thing having cortical malfunction. It's akin to having negative symptoms of schizophrenia.

However, it still doesn't qualify as gross brain damage. It can either be: 1- a maladaptive neuroplastic response like in TD, 2- microscopic injury (i.e. epigenetic mutations, mitochondrial disease, etc.). These two possibilities often overlap as, for instance, epigenetic mutations can be a downstream manifestation of neuroplasticity. On the other hand, maladaptive neuroplasticity can lead to microscopic anomalies that can be mimick microscopic injuries to some degree.

For all intents and purposes, PSSD is not a neurotoxic event (unless certain circumstances exist of course, like polydrug abuse or mania/excitotoxicity).
I actually know someone diagnosed with neurotoxicity due to an ssri. Many doctors tell that psychiatric drugs are toxic. So are they all wrong? The QEEG doctor told me microscopic injuries can cause this level of brain function loss what is seen on my QEEG. In my viewpoint anything that cause this level of suffering, illness and function loss, being on cell, receptor or whatever level is an injury (again, to me). Would you share how you got symptonatic relief?
Rem346

Unread post by Rem346 »

Meso wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:37 pm

You are probably right, but what is the cure?? How does one heal from this debilitating condition?!? Thanks in advance.