Vortioxetine induced PSSD?

This is for hypothesis and even educated speculation.
lifeistrash

Vortioxetine induced PSSD?

Unread post by lifeistrash »

Hi, I have made a longer thread but I put it in the emergency section because I don‘t think it would fit here (suicidal because of that), there I talk more about my experience in depth but honestly it‘s so strange. I took several antidepressants, even sertraline didn‘t cause any PSSD. I took escitalopram from March to August and had strong SSRI induced sexual dysfunction, when I stopped (because of it) it improved a bit but meanwhile my Doctor gave me vortioxetine, a medication that shouldn‘t cause any sexual side effects, well it didn‘t per se but with a delay. 2 weeks in and sexual dysfunction arises again so I stopped it and now I still have it (seems like PSSD right?)
I can‘t comprehend how this is possible, how can this happen?
Last edited by lifeistrash on Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arahant

Re: Vortioxetine induced PSSD?

Unread post by arahant »

lifeistrash wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:35 am Hi, I have made a longer thread but I put in the emergency section because I don‘t think it would fit here (suicidal because of that), there I talk more about my experience in depth but honestly it‘s so strange. I took several antidepressants, even sertraline didn‘t cause any PSSD. I took escitalopram from March to August and had strong SSRI induced sexual dysfunction, when I stopped (because of it) it improved a bit but meanwhile my Doctor gave me vortioxetine, a medication that shouldn‘t cause any sexual side effects, well it didn‘t per se but with a delay. 2 weeks in and sexual dysfunction arises again so I stopped it and now I still have it (seems like PSSD right?)
I can‘t comprehend how this is possible, how can this happen?
only two weeks?

That's too early to say anything and hope for the best.
If you had mental health issues (maybe reflected by your username here) that made you get those prescriptions, be sure you treat these symptoms first before getting obsessed with treating sexual side effects only. Because depressive symptoms mess with sexual function too, so better rule out any possible cause.
Wellbutrin (2007 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Sertraline (2015)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin (2016 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin + Sertraline (3 months in 2018)
Buspirone (Feb 2019 - Today)
Ritalin + Buspirone (Nov 2019 - today)
lifeistrash

Unread post by lifeistrash »

arahant wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:37 pm only two weeks?

If you had mental health issues (maybe reflected by your username here) that made you get those prescriptions, be sure you treat these symptoms first before getting obsessed with treating sexual side effects only. Because depressive symptoms mess with sexual function too, so better rule out any possible cause.
The dysfunction showed after being 2 weeks on the medication. But yea it has been about 2 weeks as well since I stopped it completely. Yea thank you. I made another post where I went into more details about me, I definitely have mental health problems that’s why I had to take them in the first place. I am a little bit better now but I’d rather be super depressed again but sexually functional than numb in emotions and libido.
Also, even in my worst phases of depression I still had sexual thoughts and was horny, so this can be ruled out. Gotta check my hormones though, maybe testosterone is too low now.
arahant

Unread post by arahant »

lifeistrash wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:11 pm
arahant wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:37 pm only two weeks?

The dysfunction showed after being 2 weeks on the medication. But yea it has been about 2 weeks as well since I stopped it completely. Yea thank you. I made another post where I went into more details about me, I definitely have mental health problems that’s why I had to take them in the first place. I am a little bit better now but I’d rather be super depressed again but sexually functional than numb in emotions and libido.
Also, even in my worst phases of depression I still had sexual thoughts and was horny, so this can be ruled out. Gotta check my hormones though, maybe testosterone is too low now.

Go ahead trying to improve your mood, it does not mean that it must be drugs, it can be cognitive behavioral therapy and etc... I was hit hard by Sertraline, my brother almost ended his life because of Venlafaxine sexual dysfunction, my ex-girlfriend was so depressed that taking escitalopram actually improved her mood and sexual drive...The Bottom line is, the medication's benefits must overcome any nasty side effects, and it's difficult to compare yourself with other's experiences. If medication is still needed for a while, go for the minimum sexual side effects, if they appear, tell it to your doctor and try to switch to some alternative.
Wellbutrin (2007 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Sertraline (2015)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin (2016 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin + Sertraline (3 months in 2018)
Buspirone (Feb 2019 - Today)
Ritalin + Buspirone (Nov 2019 - today)