Do you have some "magical thinking"?

Off-topic discussions
anacleta

Do you have some "magical thinking"?

Unread post by anacleta »

For example, do you believe in some religion, God, Karma, Fate, in curses or in superstitions?
PSSD has some spiritual or symbolic meaning for you?

-----

I say to be agnostic, but I get a lot of thoughts related to "god", I asked to God why did this to me (PSSD), I wonder if I deserved it. I think that maybe he does not love me...

They are psychotic and stupid thoughts, I know...
Maldoror

Re: Do you have some "magical thinking"?

Unread post by Maldoror »

I'm an atheist but once people were so worried about me being suicidal and depressed they brought me to this folk witch. She said I had 8 spirits inside me and supposedly removed them :D

With all the money wasted on doctors and psychiatrists who knows, maybe I should have given it to an old lady witch to treat my PSSD.
Sonny

Unread post by Sonny »

Nope, none at all. I believe in nothing. I am a longtime and hardcore Humean skeptic. My worldview is scientific and philosophical skepticism. Everything objective must be supported by reason and/or empirical evidence. This does of course make me an atheist, but really the question of gods isn't even much of a question. It's really quite an implausible and ridiculous proposition. This means also that I do not believe in magic, conspiracy theories, alternative medicine and other hippie bullshit. I'm like Bertrand Russell, David Hume, James Randi, Carl Sagan, Christopher Hitchens, and a few other people all rolled into one. I enjoy science and I'm something of an amateur philosopher.

Magical thoughts do occur in everyone's mind. I know they aren't real though. You just have to remember that they aren't real, then they won't be so bothersome.
Ghost

Unread post by Ghost »

I was a christian until I got depression/ anxiety/ PSSD. Then I finally re-thought the views I had grown up hearing. One day I woke up and realized that I really thought it was all shit. I had never really thought about it before. I'm a Chem/Bio major, and as a scientist, I see no evidence for religion/ magic beliefs. We are all chemical reactions, and as thermodynamics taught me, reactions occur because of luck...sheer statistical luck. Reactions happen if the entropy of the universe increases as a result. I see no room for god there.

Further, even if there was a god, I would want no part of his afterlife/religion if he sadistically forced me to suffer unbelievable amounts of psychological pain as some kind of plan or lesson.

No, I see god as a method people use to sooth their inability to come to terms with the depressing thought that we are just chemicals.

This is my opinion, and obviously everyone is entitled to their own. Interestingly enough, I consider myself part Buddhist because I really enjoy Buddhist meditation and culture. Oh god my parents hate it. hahaha
- Medical Student & Friendly poltergeist - Lexapro Sept '14. [Hx] [PSSD Lab] [r/PSSD] [Treatment Plan] - Add "Ghost" in replies so I see it :)
Beetlebum

Unread post by Beetlebum »

Sonny wrote:Nope, none at all. I believe in nothing. I am a longtime and hardcore Humean skeptic. My worldview is scientific and philosophical skepticism. Everything objective must be supported by reason and/or empirical evidence. This does of course make me an atheist, but really the question of gods isn't even much of a question. It's really quite an implausible and ridiculous proposition. This means also that I do not believe in magic, conspiracy theories, alternative medicine and other hippie bullshit. I'm like Bertrand Russell, David Hume, James Randi, Carl Sagan, Christopher Hitchens, and a few other people all rolled into one. I enjoy science and I'm something of an amateur philosopher.

Magical thoughts do occur in everyone's mind. I know they aren't real though. You just have to remember that they aren't real, then they won't be so bothersome.
Full ack!
brman

Unread post by brman »

I believe in God, Jesus and in the good spirits. And I also believe that have bad spirits from the devil, but they will need a lot of reincarnations to become good spirits.
Each one believe in what they want and I respect all the others religions and the atheists.
I believe in God and mainly in the most powerfull spirit that was incarnated in this planet : Jesus Christ and in the Holy Spirit: God as spiritually active in the world.

Although, no one can go back and make a new start, anyone can start now and make a new end.' - Chico Xavier.

Read about what I believe if you want:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chico_Xavier