Escitalopram induced PSSD?

New members can only post here until they introduce themselves
FkPharma

Re: Escitalopram induced PSSD?

Unread post by FkPharma »

Hey guys I’m a new member I have escitalopram induced PSSD too..want to post my story too but can’t figure out how to create a new thread..can someone please help
Jaxx

Unread post by Jaxx »

You should be able to create a new topic once you go into the appropriate sub-forum
Thomas

Unread post by Thomas »

One question I have had for some time.
I was very sensitive to serotoninergic antidepressants. Even half the minimal therapeutic dose (5mg of escitalopram, 7,5mg for mirtazapine) was enough to switch in few weeks my mood from sad/depressed to happy and stoical (even though I was fully aware of my psychological issues). And I was never happier in my life than during the first confinement (truly :lol: and I was 100% confined alone :mrgreen: ) when I was on 5mg escitalopram and I had solved my psychological issues.

Does that ring a bell to someone? Could this be link to PSSD probability?
Escitalopram, 10mg/day, Jan-May 2019. Fluoxetine, May-Sept 2019. Mirtazapine 7,5mg/day, November 2019-January 2020. Escitalopram, 5mg/day, Feb-May 2020.
Symptoms: sexual & emotional numbness
Thomas

Unread post by Thomas »

Interesting improvements have happened to me since last post. See OP for more detailed logs.

In March 15th, being quite low, I tested ginkgo biloba extract. I took it without expecting much, mainly thinking it was worth a try for ED/libido.
After few days, I saw tremendous improvements in everything:
  • Sexual dysfunction: libido, ED, numbness.
  • Anhedonia: I cried watching Kung Fu Panda ( :lol: ) - first time in a year I was feeling something in front of a movie (I love(d?) cinema and watch 3-4 movies/week)
  • Love: I have Tinder dates (without libido, it is sometimes weird...), but for the first time in a year I liked the girl! (well, she didn't like me, but this is not PSSD related ;)) whereas last year I met some girls and thought "she is perfect but I don't feel anything"
But quickly everything got back to previous state. I talked about this to my shrink who told me it was quite common to have strong and non lasting effects in the first days of ginkgo biloba use. So I thought "Another useless experiment" and stopped.
But quickly I noticed something: my sleep stayed somehow improved and I reduced hydroxyzine dosage by half for the same quality of sleep (4-5 hour sleep almost every day)
Then, slowly, most sexual dysfunction aspects and anhedonia lessened. I still do not feel normal on these aspects but I can enjoy a little things/sex again!
Sleep didn't improve nor worsen.

I can see different explanations for these improvements, none is perfect, probably all of them contributed somehow.
1) Ginkgo biloba
Maybe its anxiolytic properties got me out of an anxiety loop, but I tried benzos twice and their effects weren’t that good and vanished both time after quitting. And I didn't feel anxious.
Or it switched something on (but what?)

2) Magnesium
The only other thing I have being taking is magnesium. But I started weeks before without improvements.

3) Life
I am still having a healthy lifestyle, but not better than previously (actually worse: I stopped running because my body didn't bear it)
The only differences are:
- having better sleep, but the difference is not that obvious because I decreased hydroxyzine for the same quality of sleep.
- less bothering about PSSD.
Escitalopram, 10mg/day, Jan-May 2019. Fluoxetine, May-Sept 2019. Mirtazapine 7,5mg/day, November 2019-January 2020. Escitalopram, 5mg/day, Feb-May 2020.
Janie

Unread post by Janie »

Thomas wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:25 pm One question I have had for some time.
I was very sensitive to serotoninergic antidepressants. Even half the minimal therapeutic dose (5mg of escitalopram, 7,5mg for mirtazapine) was enough to switch in few weeks my mood from sad/depressed to happy and stoical (even though I was fully aware of my psychological issues). And I was never happier in my life than during the first confinement (truly :lol: and I was 100% confined alone :mrgreen: ) when I was on 5mg escitalopram and I had solved my psychological issues.

Does that ring a bell to someone? Could this be link to PSSD probability?
I'm the same and I got severe PSSD. I felt 5 mg escitalopram in about 4 days. I would describe it as slight unnatural euphoria. I did not need this drug overall.
Thomas

Unread post by Thomas »

Janie wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:38 am I'm the same and I got severe PSSD. I felt 5 mg escitalopram in about 4 days. I would describe it as slight unnatural euphoria. I did not need this drug overall.
I wouldn't say "unnatural" nor "euphoria". I was just enjoying life, instead of having only "black" emotions.
Thomas

Unread post by Thomas »

I have just updated my log, which I hadn't done for a while.
I am currently on a rhodiola trial. I had a one month window on it (everything was "low but normal" except anhedonia which was still fully there)
I have been quite sad for two weeks and lost most improvements after few days of sadness, I think this is related.
Sleep issue seems to be solved for now.
Last edited by Thomas on Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jaxx

Unread post by Jaxx »

Thanks for the update!
What made you take rhodiola? (Glad it helps :) )
Thomas

Unread post by Thomas »

I didn't need an antidepressant but I wanted to try one which:
- has no effect on serotonin reuptake (for obvious reasons, even if we don't know for sure if this is the cause of PSSD) -> I discarded SSRIs, Trazodone, Vortioxetine, SJW, etc.
- is mainstream / is not the "atomic bomb" (I didn't feel depressed - and at worse I feel sad - and as mentionned above, antidepressants are very effective on me) -> I discarded Ketamine, pyschedelics, lithium, etc.
- doesn't mess with sleep (because I was trying to fix my sleep) -> I discarded tetracyclic antidepressants (mirtazapine was so effective!! and good for sleep) and buproprion (bad for sleep)
So that left me with inositol and rhodiola. I chose the smallest pills :D
Jaxx

Unread post by Jaxx »

Thomas wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:03 pm I didn't need an antidepressant but I wanted to try one which:
- has no effect on serotonin reuptake (for obvious reasons, even if we don't know for sure if this is the cause of PSSD) -> I discarded SSRIs, Trazodone, Vortioxetine, SJW, etc.
- is mainstream / is not the "atomic bomb" (I didn't feel depressed - and at worse I feel sad - and as mentionned above, antidepressants are very effective on me) -> I discarded Ketamine, pyschedelics, lithium, etc.
- doesn't mess with sleep (because I was trying to fix my sleep) -> I discarded tetracyclic antidepressants (mirtazapine was so effective!! and good for sleep) and buproprion (bad for sleep)
So that left me with inositol and rhodiola. I chose the smallest pills :D
Thanks, why did you disregard sjw if i may ask? Tried it before?
Although i seem to be responding ok to (mild, non ssri) serotonergics, melatonin give me instant numbness…