Buspar (Buspirone)

This is a place to post research you have done on the topic along with your conclusions.
Ghost

Buspar (Buspirone)

Unread post by Ghost »

This thread is dedicated to Buspar (Buspirone).

Basic Information
Availability: Prescription needed
Pregnancy: No known risks
Alcohol: Interactions can occur
Drug class: 5-HT1A receptor partial antagonist

Pharmacology (Wikipedia)

Buspirone acts as an agonist of the serotonin 5-HT1A receptor with high affinity. It is a preferential full agonist of presynaptic 5-HT1A receptors, which are inhibitory autoreceptors, and a partial agonist of postsynaptic 5-HT1A receptors.In accordance, an animal study found that buspirone dose-dependently decreases serotonin levels in specific brain areas while increasing dopamine and norepinephrine levels. It is thought that the main effects of buspirone are mediated via its interaction with the 5-HT1A receptor. Some of its effects may be mediated via oxytocin release secondary to 5-HT1A receptor agonism. Buspirone also has lower affinity for the serotonin 5-HT2A, 5-HT2B, 5-HT2C, 5-HT6, and 5-HT7 receptors.
Last edited by Toby Wong on Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Medical Student & Friendly poltergeist - Lexapro Sept '14. [Hx] [PSSD Lab] [r/PSSD] [Treatment Plan] - Add "Ghost" in replies so I see it :)
Jaxx

Re: Buspar

Unread post by Jaxx »

Helped me a bit, but effect decreased over time. Sildenafil works alot better for me (for erection, not for weaker orgasm)
Toby Wong

Unread post by Toby Wong »

How much helped? Now I can't maintain erection. Which dose you used? Can I use it as needed basis?
Jaxx

Unread post by Jaxx »

think i was on 30mg daily. For me it wasnt of major impact, but it took a little time to build up a level, so doubt if as needed would work.
Toby Wong

Why you didn't try 60mg? How long time it took to build up? Is there any side effects?
Jaxx

Unread post by Jaxx »

Effects wore off, higher dosage caused headache and limited benefits. Build-up was 1,2 weeks. Felt more active in the beginning, no real side effects.
Toby Wong

Which dose of SSRI gave you PSSD?
Jaxx

Unread post by Jaxx »

20mg Paxil for about a year, not really a high dose
Toby Wong

Jaxx, what are you using now for PSSD? What you think about choline?
Jaxx

Unread post by Jaxx »

No prescribed medicine to threat it. Ive read the Choline tread, but that's all i know about it honestly.
I am trying the low dose ssri, progress is small but steady but it includes good and bad days. Not a short term fix i'm afraid