Too little sleep gradually desensitizes the 5-HT1A Receptors

This is a place to post research you have done on the topic along with your conclusions.
ErgogenicHealth

Too little sleep gradually desensitizes the 5-HT1A Receptors

Unread post by ErgogenicHealth »

Too little sleep gradually desensitizes the serotonin 1A receptor system

Study objectives: In our 24-hour society, frequently disrupted and restricted sleep is a rapidly increasing problem that may contribute to the development of diseases such as depression. One of the proposed neurobiological mechanisms underlying depression is a disturbance in the brain's serotonergic neurotransmission, particularly a desensitization of the serotonin (5-HT)1A receptor system. However, a relationship between chronic sleep loss and changes in (5-HT)1A receptors has not been established yet. Therefore, in the present study, we experimentally tested the hypothesis that chronic sleep restriction leads to desensitization of the (5-HT)1A receptor system.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16408408/
Thomas

Re: Too little sleep gradually desensitizes the 5-HT1A Receptors

Unread post by Thomas »

Since PSSD, it is obvious my sexual function highly depends on lots of factor, such as mood, sleep, etc. whereas it was constantly high before (I had slept less than 5 hours / night for months).
Timeline is quite consistant with the study. After some (I would say 5-10) days of bad sleep, my state worsens.
Thanks for the study. It highlights the importance of healthy life for recovery.
Escitalopram, 10mg/day, Jan-May 2019. Fluoxetine, May-Sept 2019. Mirtazapine 7,5mg/day, November 2019-January 2020. Escitalopram, 5mg/day, Feb-May 2020.
Symptoms: sexual & emotional numbness
Tree

Unread post by Tree »

Thanks for sharing study. I've ready studies where sleep deprivation increased serotonin so it makes sense that lack of sleep would desensitize 5ht1a receptors. A common complaint from people with pssd is a lack of sleep quality and insomnia. Since my baseline crashed a couple of years ago from a 5ht1a agonist, my insomnia has been extreme. I literally have no sensation of tiredness anymore. It's a miracle I can still eventually fall asleep. It just provides more evidence for me that 5ht1a receptor desensitization is the main culprit of pssd caused by permanent sert loss.
JP1985

Unread post by JP1985 »

Tree wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:48 pm Thanks for sharing study. I've ready studies where sleep deprivation increased serotonin so it makes sense that lack of sleep would desensitize 5ht1a receptors. A common complaint from people with pssd is a lack of sleep quality and insomnia. Since my baseline crashed a couple of years ago from a 5ht1a agonist, my insomnia has been extreme. I literally have no sensation of tiredness anymore. It's a miracle I can still eventually fall asleep. It just provides more evidence for me that 5ht1a receptor desensitization is the main culprit of pssd caused by permanent sert loss.
What was it exactly that crashed you Tree? How long after first getting PSSD did you crash? I last took a pill 2 years ago but I’m paranoid of things that might crash me so I’m trying to be careful and learn what not to take as I don’t want to make things worse
Last pill March 2019 - Citalopram for 7 years
Numbed penis and weak orgasm
Fatigue
Slightly blunted
Dizziness (this has improved a lot in the last 6 months)
Tree

Unread post by Tree »

JP1985 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:08 pm
Tree wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:48 pm Thanks for sharing study. I've ready studies where sleep deprivation increased serotonin so it makes sense that lack of sleep would desensitize 5ht1a receptors. A common complaint from people with pssd is a lack of sleep quality and insomnia. Since my baseline crashed a couple of years ago from a 5ht1a agonist, my insomnia has been extreme. I literally have no sensation of tiredness anymore. It's a miracle I can still eventually fall asleep. It just provides more evidence for me that 5ht1a receptor desensitization is the main culprit of pssd caused by permanent sert loss.
What was it exactly that crashed you Tree? How long after first getting PSSD did you crash? I last took a pill 2 years ago but I’m paranoid of things that might crash me so I’m trying to be careful and learn what not to take as I don’t want to make things worse
Ginger. Avoid 5ht1a agonists at all costs, especially if your pssd is severe, it will desensitize receptors further with chronic use.
succubus76

Unread post by succubus76 »

Stop spreading non sense!!!!11 lol