Tryptophan Depletion

This is a place to post research you have done on the topic along with your conclusions.
Ghost

Tryptophan Depletion

Unread post by Ghost »

I can't believe that I haven't thought of this earlier.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... 20110375C9

"The 100 g mixture lowered human brain serotonin synthesis by more than 85 per cent"

Basically, Serotonin was decreased 85% by creating a diet that had no Tryptophan (Precursor of Serotonin). In theory, I would hypothesize that following a Tryptophan-free diet would alleviate nearly all of PSSD because with less serotonin there would be less dopamine inhibition. It's also possible that Autoreceptors would freak out and up-regulate, therefore causing permanent improvement. Even if they didn't, you could tinker with the percentages so that you had enough Tryptophan to live and not be emotionally unstable, but not too much that you'd have PSSD.

It would be hard to get a diet like this that is healthy at the same time. However, I believe that it's possible to do, especially if we formulated a daily diet of supplements and food that supported this. It would basically mean no more meat, and a lot of fruits, and not nuts. I think we'd need a nutritionist or something.

http://wholefoodcatalog.info/nutrient/t ... ods/low/1/
- Medical Student & Friendly poltergeist - Lexapro Sept '14. [Hx] [PSSD Lab] [r/PSSD] [Treatment Plan] - Add "Ghost" in replies so I see it :)
Ghost

Re: Tryptophan Depletion

Unread post by Ghost »

In humans, as in experimental animals, tryptophan hydroxylase is usually only about half saturated with tryptophan [5], so giving tryptophan can increase the rate of serotonin synthesis up to two-fold, whereas decreasing brain tryptophan will lower serotonin synthesis. Research on rats showed that feeding the animals a meal containing all the essential amino acids except for tryptophan resulted in a decline in tryptophan levels in blood and brain, and, therefore, in brain serotonin [6]. The meal induces protein synthesis and as tryptophan is incorporated into protein its level in blood and tissues declines [7]. Concu et al. [8] demonstrated that a 18.7 g amino acid mixture containing no tryptophan caused a 42 per cent decline in human plasma tryptophan.

In newly recovered depressed patients on antidepressants that act on the serotonergic system, 50 per cent or more of the patients show a temporary reappearance of the depressed mood they experienced before recovery.- *** Shows that it counteracts SSRIs
- Medical Student & Friendly poltergeist - Lexapro Sept '14. [Hx] [PSSD Lab] [r/PSSD] [Treatment Plan] - Add "Ghost" in replies so I see it :)
scot

Unread post by scot »

Last edited by scot on Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ghost

Unread post by Ghost »

Completely removing TRP from the diet reduces plasma TRP by only 15-20% and has few behavioural consequences. A much bigger fall in plasma TRP can be achieved by giving subjects an amino acid load that does not contain TRP, in the form of a drink. This has two effects: it stimulates protein synthesis in the liver, which uses up plasma TRP; and the amino acids that are given include the other LNAAs, which compete with TRP for transport across the blood—brain barrier and thus restrict the entry of TRP into the brain.

The findings that tryptophan depletion produces a relapse of symptoms in patients with depression and panic disorder who have responded to treatment with antidepressants suggests that enhanced 5-HT function is important in maintaining response in these conditions.

http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/178/5/399
scot

Unread post by scot »

Ignore
Last edited by scot on Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iull1k

Unread post by iull1k »

I studied a lot the last 2 weeks and i formed a base of a different theory about PSSD. I will try to share my thoughts if anyone is interested in this, however i don't underestimate 5ht1a theory and really want to try tryptophan depletion. Let's try this with all active members! It's not more expensive then buying supplements, it's not dangerous,we just need some effort. Let's use about same diet and same amino acids to check this in a larger scale, if 2 or 3 people will try this we will not have an objective view.
scot

Unread post by scot »

@iull1k:Any news?
Last edited by scot on Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
iull1k

Unread post by iull1k »

I must systematize all information that floats in brain. However,i have no encouraging news. Even if my thoughts are right, we will not have a miraculous cure.
Sonny

Unread post by Sonny »

It's an essential amino acid. You would eventually die without it.
continue

Unread post by continue »

I'm doing this since the end of last year, with very little improvements. I take two shakes of 15 g collagen protein (no TRP), and 5 g of BCAA. I also take phenylalanine capsules in meals.

And I'm taking over 1 g Vitex Agnus Castus for removing serotonin. It acts similar to tianeptine, and it seems to be a 5-ht1 antagonist. I used this report to choose my dosage:
http://www.frontiernet.net/~batory/REPORT.htm

I had improvements since January 1st. But these are too slow. I'd like to make them faster. So today I quit taking coffee. Quiting coffee may deplete serotonin rapidly.