targeting drug similarities

This is a place to post research you have done on the topic along with your conclusions.
nicopickle

targeting drug similarities

Unread post by nicopickle »

i feel like research is missing a key point or action. why is it that, SSRI, Finasteride, and Accutane, all give the exact same persistent side effects? wouldn’t it be much easier for studies that compare all three of these drugs make research 1000x easier? there is obviously common factors in play between these drugs, something specifically is being affected. i believe studies that would focus on all three of these drugs, could come to a reasoning so much quicker. just my thoughts. let me know what you guys think
Northern_Star

Re: targeting drug similarities

Unread post by Northern_Star »

SSRIs, Finasteride, Accutane (Isotretinoin) and also certain supplements like Saw Palmetto all share anti-androgenic properties. That's likely why we see the same stories coming from all these patient groups. At Propeciahelp, we have collected hundreds of questionnaires from all these groups, and the results are remarkably similar.

At PFS Network/Propeciahelp we strongly suspect that there is a shared etiology. We are currently organising research with scientists who have published in top rates journals. Unfortunately, in the short-term the idea of a shared etiology does not make research easier. Our condition is already rare and disbelieved by most people. If you now tell people that not only does this rare condition exist, but it is caused by many substances that are used for completely different purposes, they won't believe you. The scientists we work on see the potential of a bigger picture, but in the end all research proposals need to pass institutional requirements, so are better defined narrower (e.g. purely related to Finasteride). However, we are hopeful that once the results are available such research may be replicable for Post-SSRI, Post-Accutane patients as well. Long-term, a shared etiology would make research easier as several separated small communities would be come one larger community with larger resources and it would constitute a much bigger health problem which would get more attention.

Please see here for additional detail on a potential shared cause of our condition(s): https://www.propeciahelp.com/pfs-manife ... c-effects/