Nature: Splenectomy is associated with sexual dysfunctions and decreased libido

This is a place to post research you have done on the topic along with your conclusions.
Brain food

Nature: Splenectomy is associated with sexual dysfunctions and decreased libido

Unread post by Brain food »

Consider reading this report in Nature. Of course, I have no idea if this surgery lowers libido through the same mechanism of action as PSSD. No one seems to be quite sure why this surgery impacts the libido but it seems to be the only surgery that has this effect. The article doesn’t mention genital sensitivity, but the symptoms of this unnamed condition do somewhat overlap with PSSD. The problem appears after surgery in both men and women. Also, men who have had the surgery sometimes have low levels of testosterone but not all men in the study with sexual dysfunction have low testosterone. Let me know what you think. Does this help confirm anyone’s hypothesis? I guess if the mechanism of action is the same as with PSSD, then PSSD probably doesn’t originate in the brain.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-01371-7
anhedonia

Re: Nature: Splenectomy is associated with sexual dysfunctions and decreased libido

Unread post by anhedonia »

This is really interesting. Unfortunately, they don't hypothesize why this happens. Apparently, all areas of sexual function (i.e. desire, arousal and orgasm) are impacted by a splenectomy and over 90% have these symptoms.
Duloxetine for TMJ Pain
PSSD since 01/2020
M26
Brain food

Re: Nature: Splenectomy is associated with sexual dysfunctions and decreased libido

Unread post by Brain food »

anhedonia wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:14 pm This is really interesting. Unfortunately, they don't hypothesize why this happens. Apparently, all areas of sexual function (i.e. desire, arousal and orgasm) are impacted by a splenectomy and over 90% have these symptoms.
Maybe it has something to do with this procedure altering the gut microbiome. Consider reading this article:

Altered gut microbiota after traumatic splenectomy is associated with endotoxemia

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10 ... 018-0202-2
JakeLawe

Unread post by JakeLawe »

Brain food wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:15 pm Consider reading this report in Nature. Of course, I have no idea if this surgery lowers libido through the same mechanism of action as PSSD. No one seems to be quite sure why this surgery impacts the libido but it seems to be the only surgery that has this effect. The article doesn’t mention genital sensitivity, but the symptoms of this unnamed condition do somewhat overlap with PSSD. The problem appears after surgery in both men and women. Also, men who have had the surgery sometimes have low levels of testosterone but not all men in the study with sexual dysfunction have low testosterone. Let me know what you think. Does this help confirm anyone’s hypothesis? I guess if the mechanism of action is the same as with PSSD, then PSSD probably doesn’t originate in the brain.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-01371-7
I'm thinking probably related to hormone production by the spleen

https://ashpublications.org/blood/artic ... INE-SYSTEM

What's interesting, not for the affected of course, and overall rather than "interesting" is awful and painful, but I'm using the word for the sake of conversation, is that it says is the only be surgical procedure that has shown to have this effect.. I wonder how true that claim is.

Apparently the issue was solved by injecting splenocytes, though not sure if they're saying only in rats

Despite the extensive literature review, no other surgical procedure was found that resulted in sexual dysfunction in all patients.

Salto et al. found delayed ovulation and a higher incidence of pseudopregnancy in asplenic rats. These disorders were normalized after the injection of splenocytes, indicating an association of splenic tissue with ovarian functions

No mention of genital numbness indeed, perhaps hormones have not a thing to do with this symptom? Though there's literature about many hormonal changes linked to genital numbness so if it's hormones one would thing genital numbness would be reported too unless maybe it's an underreported symptom? I doubt it though.

Assuming it's all hormones in this case.