MostlyLurks - Paroxetine induced PSSD

New members can only post here until they introduce themselves
MostlyLurks

MostlyLurks - Paroxetine induced PSSD

Unread post by MostlyLurks »

Hey!

The story goes as follows. I was prescribed Paroxetine by a general practitioner for social anxiety disorder and depression in May 2009. It wasn't long before I noticed that I could no longer achieve an erection, and my libido seemed to have gone the way of the dodo. I was told that this could happen, and not to worry since it would reverse itself upon quitting the drug. I was advised to stay on it for the time being, and over the next two years my prescribed dose varied between 20 and 40 mg per day.
I finally stopped taking Paroxetine in January 2011.

My symptoms are:
  • Partial ED, it gets up, but wanes immediately without constant stimulation.
    Some loss of sensation, what is commonly known as genital numbness.
    Near complete loss of libido. I just can't get excited. It's like some of the physical reflexes still work down there, but my brain just isn't having any of it.
I also used to have very low urinary pressure which appeared at the time I started the Paroxetine, but that seems to have reversed itself. I also used to suffer from delayed orgasm, but that has also reversed itself, though I don't know how. There may be more symptoms, but it's hard to know what to ascribe to the SSRI. Interestingly I was enrolled at Uni when I started taking Paroxetine, and before I started taking it I was a straight A student. Immediately after I started taking it I had to struggle to get a passing grade, and that was true throughout the remainder of my education.

So far I've tried taking a host of supplements, most without any rhyme or reason, but some have been inspired by this forum (or its original incarnation). Below is a very incomplete list of some of the things I've tried.

Inositol, 18 g / day, did improve my erections somewhat while I took it. The effect wore off when I stopped.
Vitamin D3. Not sure it's done much if anything, but I live in a country where days are short in the winter so I take just because it's healthy.
Zinc. Up to 100 mg per day for quite some time. Didn't notice any difference that I can say with any certainty was due to the zinc.
Huperzine A and choline. I'm going back on these, they seem promising. Like a fool, I stopped them too early.

Oh, and I live in Sweden, where the state gets off on telling the citizenry what they can and cannot put into their bodies. So a lot of the things discussed on this forum is very hard for me to get a hold of. Impossible in fact, legally speaking.