Not recovering fully because of Bupropione?

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
Spray110

Not recovering fully because of Bupropione?

Unread post by Spray110 »

Hi all! I must say, nice work on this forum, very important stuff. Of course not too uplifting reading about suicides, not really uplifting to read about people's darkest thoughts. But hey, help is here I guess!

My story is the following:

I'm a 24 year-old male.
In december of 2015 I started Sertraline, 100mg I think, a day. When I first took it I got quite bad side effects including nausea and drowsiness, I felt sick.
I did know before taking it that you could get some sexual dysfunction, and my boyfriend, who took another ssri in like 2012 I think, experienced negative sexual side effects, but those had lifted once he got off the meds.
The sam thing happened to me, It was almost totally impossible to get an orgasm, but I think that once I did, at least it felt alright. I can't remember if I experienced any anhedonia, but it's possible. My libido was there I think, it was more the function of orgasm and such that was weakened.

I quit Sertraline and all side effects lifted in a week or two (awesome! From bad side effects to full function, just as expected) but I had only taken the meds for 1 month I think, if not less than that.

Last year, in may of 2017 I started Fluoxetine, 40mg a day I think it was. I didn't have any of the bad "opening" side effects, it sort of smoothly took over my system. I actually believed at first that I wouldn't have any sexual side effects, but I did.
Hard to orgasm, weakened erection, lack of libido, as well as sensation (anhedonia). I tried to add Bupropione in july or so, 2017, but I didn't notice any change on the sexual side of things, but I could only take it for 2 weeks because of how easliy irritated I got, as well as insomnia (falling asleep was quite easy, but I woke up after a couple of hours every night), also, my tics got worse (another problem I have).

I continued taking fluoxetine and then it was fall, and I was feeling tired of the sexual dysfunction, and wanted to get back to normal, so I tried for a while to get an appointment. After about 2-3 months (yes), I got an appointment and they said I could quit cold turkey. I didn't do that, but instead I lowered my dose to 20mg a day, for maybe 2 weeks, then I quit, late december. My sexual function didn't come back at all except for the ability to orgasm, however it didn't feel good anymore, and my ejaculations were weak, as well as bad sperm count I think, very watery. I got an appointment with a doctor in may I think, who described Bupropione once again. This time though, I didn't get insomnia, and I still haven't, and I'm currently taking 300mg a day. I noticed during the summer, july, that something happened. My libido had gotten better and I was feeling very horny for about a week straight. Though the anhedonia was still there, and while I could feel *something*, it wasn't as apparent as it used to be.

So I believe I got a window there during summer, when my problems lifted just a little bit. Now I'll tell you about where I am right now.

I'm still on 300mg Bupropione.
I have a hard time crying, I feel a bit evened out emotionally, but that could very well be the Bupropione of course.
My sexual function sure is better than it was when I first quit fluoxetine in december, but it's nowhere near as good as it was before.
I feel like my sensation down there isn't as pleasurable as it used to be. Like when I have an orgasm, I can feel something quite intense, but it's more leaning towards being straining. It's not the feeling of release that it should be.
Weakened and shortened orgasm. I can feel something, but it's more like an intense feeling(read above), and what I feel, I feel for literally a second or two, in worst cases, very often it sticks around longer than that.
Weakened ejaculation, I feel I have to "help" to get everything out, rather than it just "happening", au naturale. The same goes with urination, I feel I have to take longer to get everything out, and the power is weakened there as well.
Libido, well... I want to believe I still am myself when it comes to fantasies and such, but sometimes I remind myself of the fact that it doesn't work the same anymore, and that saddens me, since I've always been overly sexual and sometimes that was my comfort when feeling down, I could always experience the bliss of sex/masturbation.

Now, I have been thinking about tapering off Bupropione, and I have a question, could it be that I'm a rare case, that Bupropione inhibits my sexual functions to go back to completely normal? If that's not a possibility, would you have any ideas as to what I could try? I live in Sweden, so aside from long lines, it's not a difficulty for me to get an appointment somewhere. I am going to see a urologist very soon hopefully, since my doctor advised me to.

Any questions please ask them and I'll give you the information needed. Thanks!