genetics

This is for hypothesis and even educated speculation.
carol7

genetics

Unread post by carol7 »

Hi, I'm new here. Forgive me in advance if this has already been discussed. I briefly scanned through some of this forum and I see that the majority of approaches are medications/drugs. I have also done a few weeks of informal research online and found that there is information about PSSD but few actually research studies for cures.

It appears that SSRI's have caused--step by step--an epigenetic change in neurons. Now, how they did this--step by step--I am not clear if this is completely understood in the field of science. (?) What I am seeing is that, in general, to try to solve this problem, people are proposing to use medications to try to 'undo' what was done. But, once whatever these SSRI did at the DNA/genetic level to our neurons, I'm wondering if the approach must now be a genetic approach. The type of cause is not the type of solution needed. Can any medicine actually correct the epigenetic changes? It appears so far I am reading there is no cure and not for a lack of trying and experimentation I might add.

I ran across two articles/studies online. One was genome editing using Crispr (animal study not humans yet) and the other is gene therapy. The gene therapy study was done for Parkinson's disease patients. Their approach included a modified virus to deliver genes into the brains of patients with the disease.

Regarding PSSD neurons and the epigenetic changes. Here's where I wish I had paid more attention in biochemistry class..I don't understand how this would work to identify the exact epigenetic change--would it be looking at a single gene--or how to identify this. But, if the exact epigenetic change in the neuron can be identified, perhaps one of the gene therapy approaches would be possible. (As I write this, I realize I am not clear on if the DNA in the neuron has been altered in PSSD, or by epigenetic change, they mean another genetic process in the cell is altered...)
Now, I also read about stem cell therapy using patients own cells to graft neurons into the brain..in a case like PSSD, this might be considered 'overriding the system'. In other words, adding new neurons that will have sensitized autoreceptors. (as I write this, I realize this may be over simplistic approach).

Recapping, from what I'm reading, medications taken orally aren't curing PSSD.
If medications are not solving this, could a gene therapy approach be an option?
Sonny

Re: genetics

Unread post by Sonny »

Yes, I think you are correct. I really hate that we have to do post approval by the way.
Sonny

Unread post by Sonny »

I have taken you out of the "newly registered" group. So you will be able to post freely now.
Ghost

Unread post by Ghost »

I've spent a lot of time thinking of the possible genetic problems of PSSD. Here's an 8 page thread related to the subject.

http://www.pssdforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... t=genetics

I'm kinda rusty on this stuff, but still find it interesting. I think we found some important things back in December. I just don't know what to do with them.
- Medical Student & Friendly poltergeist - Lexapro Sept '14. [Hx] [PSSD Lab] [r/PSSD] [Treatment Plan] - Add "Ghost" in replies so I see it :)
Ghost

Unread post by Ghost »

catalunya wrote:
Ghost wrote:I've spent a lot of time thinking of the possible genetic problems of PSSD. Here's an 8 page thread related to the subject.

http://www.pssdforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... t=genetics

I'm kinda rusty on this stuff, but still find it interesting. I think we found some important things back in December. I just don't know what to do with them.
exactly. it's fascinating, but people who devote their entire professional lives to studying this don't quite know what to do with it let alone us.
Yea it's unexplored parts of science, and probably at least 10-20 years from being able to help. Maybe in 2050 this is a different story because it is still in the wilderness knowledge-wise.
- Medical Student & Friendly poltergeist - Lexapro Sept '14. [Hx] [PSSD Lab] [r/PSSD] [Treatment Plan] - Add "Ghost" in replies so I see it :)