Possible photosensitivity with PSSD?

This is for hypothesis and even educated speculation.
cyrus91

Possible photosensitivity with PSSD?

Unread post by cyrus91 »

Since PSSD have any of you noticed that you respond differently to sunlight? Does your skin feel more sensitive to sunlight? I live in North America but in a moderate not overly hot climate in Canada. Prior to the past couple of years with PSSD I would always attain a beautiful dark brown skin tone with some sun exposure. On very rare instances only when I got way too much sun would I get a sunburn. But the last couple of years things are very different. Even without sun my face sometimes becomes red now but yesterday I was at an outdoor function with friends and family all afternoon, it was sunny but not overly hot as it seasonal for May. Today I saw many of the same people again that I was with yesterday, today my face is red as a lobster with sunburn today, I even have blistering starting on my forehead. Yet none of the dozen people with me were affected and none of us (except for the children) were wearing sunblock. Same thing happened to me last couple of summers. Four years ago of those people with me this weekend I would have had the brownest richest complexion but now I feel like my skin is now fragile and red and the brown colour I would easily obtain seems unattainable anymore. Again, these changes parallel the timeline as the issues I developed with PSSD. There are 5HT receptors in the skin. Do you think it could be related or caused by altered 5HT functioning? (I am still on St. John's Wort) Anyone else have similar observations or ideas?
cyrus91

Re: Possible photosensitivity with PSSD?

Unread post by cyrus91 »

I did find this study linking the two. The mice that did not get the 5HT2A receptor antagonist were more prone to UV induced damage to the skin and immune suppression.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=& ... 5598,d.eXY
cyrus91

Unread post by cyrus91 »

But remind me again what a 5HT2A receptor antagonist would do?
pete

Unread post by pete »

cyrus91 wrote:I am still on St. John's Wort
SJW is known to cause photosensitivity. Google it.
continue

Unread post by continue »

SJW causes photosensitivity, but that's something related to excess serotonin for which I have no explanation. Not only SJW causes photosensitivity, but SSRI as well. I had some terrible sunburns while on 40 mg fluoxetine.

but... hey... just a recommendation... it's true that PSSD is a complete mess to our bodies. it can even affect allergies, hay fever and asthma, due to the relationship of neurotransmitters and histamine... I'd really recommend to try something to reverse PSSD at least partially instead of making researches about serotonin, all the symptoms, all the receptors... these researches have no end, they go nowhere and will not do good to you. what will do good to you is focus, discipline, and maybe piracetam, cabergoline, meriva, detox methods... you know? I know it turns out to be like a vicious cycle and an obsessive thinking about PSSD and researches... but seriously this way it will not help our body, only do harm with more stress put into it. if we focus too much on details, we miss the big line.

just an advice. ;)
Ghost

Unread post by Ghost »

pete wrote:
cyrus91 wrote:I am still on St. John's Wort
SJW is known to cause photosensitivity. Google it.
Yep I think that SJW is culprit, and PSSD less so.
- Medical Student & Friendly poltergeist - Lexapro Sept '14. [Hx] [PSSD Lab] [r/PSSD] [Treatment Plan] - Add "Ghost" in replies so I see it :)