New Dr. Goldstein Research [YOUR HELP NEEDED!!!]

Administrative notes and announcements.
chris27

Re: New Dr. Goldstein Research [YOUR HELP NEEDED!!!]

Unread post by chris27 »

I know virtually nothing about Dr. Goldstein, but asked my endocrinologist about him last year, here in New Zealand. He told me that he's had a long and respected career, but as he's aged he's lost a lot of respect in his field for losing sight of science and operating on untested (or badly tested) wacky theories and beliefs. Outside of my area, but my endo. (while not very helpful for my condition) was *very* good, maintaining an ongoing publication record. Perhaps with a larger team around him Dr. G. can be a bit more effective.
Spins

Unread post by Spins »

chris27 wrote:I know virtually nothing about Dr. Goldstein, but asked my endocrinologist about him last year, here in New Zealand. He told me that he's had a long and respected career, but as he's aged he's lost a lot of respect in his field for losing sight of science and operating on untested (or badly tested) wacky theories and beliefs. Outside of my area, but my endo. (while not very helpful for my condition) was *very* good, maintaining an ongoing publication record. Perhaps with a larger team around him Dr. G. can be a bit more effective.
Would one of those, "whacky" theories include the existence of PSSD and affiliated conditions? Sounds like by discrediting him this endo, by extension, was discrediting you. I am not saying a bit of that is true about Doctor Gomdstein, but come on.
chris27

Unread post by chris27 »

No, nothing like that. He was very sympathetic and helpful, willing to try a few different treatments with me. He just comes from a pretty evidence based perspective and said that Goldstein's latter day views generally aren't accepted as being such, despite having had a very respected earlier career.
Sheep

Unread post by Sheep »

chris27 wrote:No, nothing like that. He was very sympathetic and helpful, willing to try a few different treatments with me. He just comes from a pretty evidence based perspective and said that Goldstein's latter day views generally aren't accepted as being such, despite having had a very respected earlier career.
Honestly I don't think that's a bad thing? a lot of people have been fucked over by how ''scientific' (I put that in quotes because they're just as biased about it)' we act about medicine. There's this attitude that just because there's no certain evidence that somehow it must be impossible even when things sign towards it being possible. This attitude towards not trying something just because they have no evidence it will see results when sometimes the solution lies in unexpected places. Meanwhile if you swing towards the other extreme, you have people believing any random thing will help them on no basis whatsoever. A good balance of a scientific and non-scientific approach can go along way.
vkn1

Unread post by vkn1 »

chris27 wrote:I know virtually nothing about Dr. Goldstein, but asked my endocrinologist about him last year, here in New Zealand. He told me that he's had a long and respected career, but as he's aged he's lost a lot of respect in his field for losing sight of science and operating on untested (or badly tested) wacky theories and beliefs. Outside of my area, but my endo. (while not very helpful for my condition) was *very* good, maintaining an ongoing publication record. Perhaps with a larger team around him Dr. G. can be a bit more effective.
That’s a good thing. According to the establishment medical community PSSD doesn’t exist, and anyone who says it might is a quack, precisely because no one from the establishment says it does. Last thing we would want is to only support those in that community. The only way it will be recognized is through the work of someone “operating on untested wacky theories”.
r4ndom

Unread post by r4ndom »

He is a great doctor, and the only doctor that I’ve had that acknowledged my issue is real and was actually willing to think outside the box and try non conventional things.

I’ll have to get out to Cali soon o I can be his patient again as he requires you at least see him once a year to be an over the phone patient. I’ll give him a call soon!
squirtleSquirtle

Unread post by squirtleSquirtle »

Ghost wrote:Dr. G wants to do more but doesn't think he can raise the funds. The records study is easier because it is cheap. If we can show that we can raise... $250,000, then he will be able to do more.

We need people to give more if we want this to happen.

If Dr. G could put a research proposal together with clear action items, outline a budget, and release the proposal to us, I think we as a community would be able to donate more enthusiastically. Please consider that interest will be much stronger if the research goals can be made concrete. Perhaps a crowd sourcing framework (where nobody pays anything until the project budget is reached) would be the most appropriate tool for us funding research as a community?

-Thank's for all of your hard work and dedication Ghost. I have a lot of respect for you.
20 mg Prozac, March-May, Septemeber-December 2015
Problems starting at discontinuation: very low libido, erectile dysfunction, watery semen, no morning wood
Current Problems: mild erectile dysfunction
anacleta

Unread post by anacleta »

Hi Ghost, I have some difficulties with English.
You say we should call Goldstein (to present our case of PSSD, did I understand correctly?), isn't there an email address?