Effects of Psychotherapy on 5HT1A receptor density

This is a place to post research you have done on the topic along with your conclusions.
paramahamsa

Effects of Psychotherapy on 5HT1A receptor density

Unread post by paramahamsa »

Has anyone here tried psychotherapy? I started seeing a therapist a few months ago, and during this time I've noticed the most improvement in my sexual symptoms (genital numbness, ejaculatory anhedonia) since I first had them in July 2013.

I am not a Psych. student or someone who has extensive knowledge on this subject, but from searching this forum, I gathered that our problem has something to do with our desensitized 5-HT1A receptors. And so, searching the web about the effects of psychotherapy on the brain, I was intrigued by what I found:
Molecular psychodynamics

All these studies, however, have investigated the brain changes on the whole brain systems level. To understand the more basic mechanisms related to psychotherapy, possible molecular and cellular changes should also be studied. So far, only 2 Finnish studies have measured molecular level changes after psychotherapy, and in this way directly tested the hypothesis put forth by Kandel2 that psychotherapy could lead to changes in gene expression through learning, by altering the strength of synaptic connections between nerve cells and inducing morphological changes in neurons. Interestingly, in both studies, the psychotherapy that was used was psychodynamic.

In the study by Lehto and colleagues,20 19 depressive outpatients received psychodynamic psychotherapy for 12 months. Of the patients, 8 were classified as having atypical depression. Midbrain serotonin transporter and striatum dopamine transporter densities were recorded using SPECT brain imaging with the [123I]nor-β-CIT radioligand before and after psychotherapy. The researchers showed that midbrain serotonin transporter density significantly increased during psychotherapy in patients with atypical depression, but not among patients with standard depression. There were no changes in the levels of striatum dopamine transporter. Because of the subgroup finding, these results are difficult to interpret, and one of the shortcomings of this study is the lack of a control group.

In the other Finnish study, patients with MDD were randomized to receive either short-term psychodynamic psychotherapy or fluoxetine. Before being treated and after 4 months of treatment, they underwent a brain scan with PET using [carbonyl-11C]WAY-100635 (measures the density of serotonin type 1A [5-HT1A] receptors) and [11C]raclopride (measures density of dopamine type 2/3 receptors). In the 2 published papers, the researchers reported that the clinical outcome in both treatment groups was similar in terms of standard symptom ratings (symptom remission was achieved in 59% of the patients and 77% of the patients met criteria for response).17,21 However, an analysis of the change in the 5-HT1A receptor density in the treatment groups revealed a significant increase in the psychotherapy group compared with the medication group, for which no change was detected (Figure). Fluoxetine increased [11C]raclopride binding in the lateral thalamus; no change was seen in the group that received psychotherapy.

Several previous studies have found changes in 5-HT1A receptor binding in MDD that is not reversed by SSRI treatment.22-27 This could mean that the recovery process in MDD after psychotherapy is different from recovery after medication. Currently, the clinical implications of these findings are unknown, but they may be related to the finding that suggests that the relapse rate for MDD is lower in patients treated with psychotherapy than in those treated with antidepressants.28

Conclusion

Although still preliminary, the studies using neuroimaging for measuring change caused by psychotherapy will in the long run lead to a more refined understanding of how different psychotherapies work. This may lead to a development in which specific modes of psychotherapy can be designed to target specific brain circuits.1 In addition, neurobiological research may help refine psychological theories about the change processes.

- See more at: http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/psychot ... yQjTr.dpuf
What do you guys think?
continue

Re: Effects of Psychotherapy on 5HT1A receptor density

Unread post by continue »

paramahamsa wrote:Has anyone here tried psychotherapy?
I had 4 years of EMDR. I had improvements, but then in the middle of the treatment I took SSRI again, and got an even worse PSSD. :(
marsupial

Unread post by marsupial »

If you are logical person with real problems that causes you your depression and anxiety, then it does not worth the money. People tend to think it is some magical ritual that is going to solve your problem in longterm but in my opinion it is much better to talk to someone who you know well who is smart and has some experience in life. Good luck
Blueturtle

Unread post by Blueturtle »

This is really fascinating.

The fact that psychological talk therapy could effect the very scary real physical symptoms like ejaculatory anhedonia and genital numbness.

Interesting... perhaps this impilicates 5-HT1A more in the weak genital responses? Huh.

This is a super old thread but it really opened my mind to possible avenues to change symptoms, thanks for sharing this.
PSSD from citalopram.
Took it Winter 2012-Summer 2016
Cut cold turkey. Symptoms include genital anesthesia, ejaculatory anhedonia, low libido, Burning/tingling genital pain.
My story: http://www.pssdforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2536