TRAZODONE

Post any data on Treatments and experimentation.
brian6211

TRAZODONE

Unread post by brian6211 »

Hey guys,

I just got myself a supply of Trazodone(50mg) and doctor prescribed 25mg, so I cut the pill in half.

Questions:

1) Has anyone tried it? And at what dosage?

2) Do you think it will help potentially reverse PSSD?

3) Do you think it will make it worse, in the long run?

I was almost recovered a few weeks ago but had to take something for my anxiety(I took Mirtazapine, SJW). So by taking something, my PSSD came back.
EricCartmanRJ

Re: TRAZODONE

Unread post by EricCartmanRJ »

After near 2 months off citalopram (went back for a while after severe return of depression in the beginning of the year), I decided to give Trazodone a chance. Just a day on this drug, already feeling more energy e seeing life with colors again... But, at least yet, no changes in desire/arousal. It's my main complain since I decided to stay off ssris for the first time. (3 yrs ago)

I'm new at this forum, although I have been watching similar ones since I became aware of this condition.
I was on ssris beetween age 14-26. Had a window off in 2007-2008, when started having panic/severe anxiety issues and dificulties about geting back to ssirs. I'm pretty sure ssris screwed me in many ways, not just sexually. My erections were almost always pretty mechanical, without much pleasure. The worst thing is that I grew up thinking that it was normal, even being kind of stucked in an asexual life.

PSSD awareness is fundamental. Even being on a information era, too little info about permanent changes of antidepressant drugs is out there. And doctors still believe that it is all psychological issues or due to depression itself. I'm convinced otherwise.

ps. Sorry for my english, I'm brazilian.
ps2. I appreciate being able to post in this forum. Thanks, Sonny.
MandySwift

Unread post by MandySwift »

I ONLY know that trazodone also has antianxiety (anxiolytic) and sleep-inducing (hypnotic) effects.
Ghost

Unread post by Ghost »

I've taken it at 50mg for sleep a handful of nights last year. Never did a ton for PSSD if I can recall.

There used to be a user named Gonzo who had erections recovered on it, and it lasted 5 months after he stopped. I don't think he ever made the transition to the new site, however.
- Medical Student & Friendly poltergeist - Lexapro Sept '14. [Hx] [PSSD Lab] [r/PSSD] [Treatment Plan] - Add "Ghost" in replies so I see it :)
scot

Unread post by scot »

Last edited by scot on Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulZucco

Unread post by PaulZucco »

Urology. 1995 Jul;46(1):117-20.
Oral trazodone as empirical therapy for erectile dysfunction: a retrospective review.
Lance R1, Albo M, Costabile RA, Steers WD.
Author information
Abstract
OBJECTIVES:
Anecdotal reports of increased libido and sexual function in patients taking trazodone have led to its empirical use in patients with erectile dysfunction. A retrospective review of patient-reported responses to trazodone was performed to outline the efficacy and side-effect profile of this agent.
METHODS:
Between 1989 and 1994, 182 patients were placed on oral trazodone as empirical therapy for erectile dysfunction. Patients ranged in age from 26 to 85 years, with a mean of 60 years. Patients were evaluated before receiving trazodone with a thorough medical history and physical examination. Known risk factors for erectile dysfunction were assigned based on historical information and the findings of the examination. Patients received trazodone for at least 2 consecutive months, with daily doses starting at 25 mg.
RESULTS:
One hundred twenty-seven patients were available for follow-up by a standardized questionnaire regarding perceived improvement in erectile function, sexual function, and side effects. In patients less than 60 years of age, with no known risk factors for erectile dysfunction, 21 of 27 (78%) showed significant improvement in erectile ability. Smokers and patients older than 60 years with a history of significant peripheral vascular disease responded poorly to trazodone therapy. The duration of erectile dysfunction was inversely related to a response to trazodone. Of patients with a duration of impotence less than 12 months, 48% reported a positive response. Only 16% of patients with duration of erectile dysfunction greater than 60 months reported improvement in erections and sexual function. Trazodone was well tolerated by this population, with 62% reporting no side effects.
CONCLUSIONS:
Despite the limitations of a nonrandomized, retrospective study, trazodone appears to benefit younger patients with erectile dysfunction with few known risk factors. A prospective, placebo-controlled trial is needed to confirm the observations of this pilot study.
PMID: 7604472 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PaulZucco

Unread post by PaulZucco »

Urology. 1994 Nov;44(5):732-6.
Effect of yohimbine-trazodone on psychogenic impotence: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study.
Montorsi F1, Strambi LF, Guazzoni G, Galli L, Barbieri L, Rigatti P, Pizzini G, Miani A.
Author information
Abstract
OBJECTIVES:
The aim of this study was to determine the effectiveness and safety of yohimbine and trazodone used together for the treatment of pure psychogenic impotence.
METHODS:
Sixty-three patients who had psychogenic impotence diagnosed on the basis of sexual history, results of physical examination, laboratory analysis, polysomnographic recording of nocturnal erections, and dynamic color Doppler sonography of the cavernosal arteries were entered into a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, partial crossover study comparing placebo with yohimbine (15 mg per day orally) and trazodone (50 mg per day orally) used together. Treatment consisted of two 8-week courses. Patients who initially received placebo for 8 weeks were then switched to the 2-drug combination for 8 weeks. Erectile function, ejaculation, interest in sex, and sexual thoughts were investigated at the end of drug treatment and at 3- and 6-month follow-up. For statistical analysis chi-square, McNemar, and Student's t test for unpaired data were used.
RESULTS:
Fifty-five patients (87%) completed the whole treatment schedule. Positive clinical results (complete and partial responses) were obtained in 39 (71%) patients at the end of the drug treatment phase. These results were significantly better than those obtained with placebo (p < 0.01). Positive results were maintained in 32 (58%) and 31 (56%) patients at 3- and 6-month follow-up, respectively. Minor drug-related adverse effects occurred in 6 (11%) of the patients in the yohimbine-trazodone group and in 2 (4%) in the placebo group.
CONCLUSIONS:
The combination of yohimbine and trazodone is a safe and effective first-line treatment for psychogenic impotence.
PMID: 7974947 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
fablecloth

Unread post by fablecloth »

Ghost wrote:I've taken it at 50mg for sleep a handful of nights last year. Never did a ton for PSSD if I can recall.

There used to be a user named Gonzo who had erections recovered on it, and it lasted 5 months after he stopped. I don't think he ever made the transition to the new site, however.
Your lack of response may have been due to too low a dose. Check out this article by Stahl (http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/do ... 1&type=pdf) on Trazodone as an effective SARI, and how doses of 150-600MG are required to inhibit SERT (there is a diagram of its relative binding affinities at various doses). At lower doses, Trazodone is just a hypnotic, and is indeed prescribed off-label for this very purpose, at low doses.

Also check out the table 'Possible Functions of Postsynaptic Serotonin Receptors' on page 538. Stahl refers to the 5HT2A and 5HT2C receptors as regulating sexual function. Trazodone at sufficiently high doses is a 5HT2A and 5HT2C antagonist, which apparently eradicates sexual side effects. This is contrary to normal SSRIs, which engage those receptors and thus cause sexual side effects. Stahl indicates that the 5HT1A receptor is not involved with sexual dysfunction, and thus elevates serotonin levels without the nasty side effects.

I find this quite curious. I have experience, having tried MAOIs like Nardil and Parnate, that practitioners are far too conservative when it comes to dosing regimes, and lack of therapeutic efficacy can often be attributed to inadequate dosing.

I am keen to try the XR version of Trazodone (Oleptro), which theoretically allows for elevated (i.e. therapeutic) levels of trazodone in the body, without rapid influxes due to multiple daily dosings, which exacerbate the sedative effects. Frustratingly, Oleptro is currently under patent and costs a fortune. But it's worth a shot. I live in Australia and whilst Trazodone isn't sold in Australia, it is legal to import certain prescription drugs for private use. Trazodone is on the list of allowable drugs.

I'm trialling St John's Wort at the moment (Kira, having switched from Perika), but will in a couple of months look for a reputable international pharmacy that would supply with a valid Australian prescription.
magnilo

Unread post by magnilo »

i took 300mg of trazodone extended release once by mistake (isntead of 200)
the next day i was a zombie until 4pm. I literally had to concentrate to walk properly and not stumble.
a collegue at work as soon as he saw me "WOOOAH!!! you dont look like you slept at all!!!"
i can not fathom how anyone could be given 600mg of that thing!!!!!

edit: exclamation mark abuse alarm!
nasibi

Unread post by nasibi »

I have taken Trazodone 100 mg/every night for about two months. Works good for sleep. Experienced alot of hair shedding. No other side effects.
Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live. :(