Question: What do Serotonin antagonists do long term?

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
MisterCharlie

Question: What do Serotonin antagonists do long term?

Unread post by MisterCharlie »

I know blocking/antagonizing dopamine receptors causes upregulatation. And agonizing dopamine receptors causes down regulation

-What does agonizing Serotonin receptors do long term to Serotonin receptors?

-What does antagonizing Serotonin receptors do to the Serotonin receptors long term?

Please have a journal article or study to back up your position. Thanks
Tree

Re: Question: What do Serotonin antagonists do long term?

Unread post by Tree »

MisterCharlie wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:12 pm I know blocking/antagonizing dopamine receptors causes upregulatation. And agonizing dopamine receptors causes down regulation

-What does antagonizing Serotonin receptors do to the Serotonin receptors long term?

Theoretically, it depends on the receptor. 5ht1a antagonists upregulate receptors over time but 5ht2a antagonists don't. However, pssd I believe is caused by permeant sert loss, so 5ht1a antagonism wouldn't upregulate receptors, but instead exacerbate the issue by blocking the little 5ht1a receptors left. The issue is excess serotonin in the synapses desensitizes receptors. 5ht1a antagonism doesn't remove serotonin from synapses so receptors will remain desensitized by serotonin.
MisterCharlie

Tree wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:03 pm
MisterCharlie wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:12 pm I know blocking/antagonizing dopamine receptors causes upregulatation. And agonizing dopamine receptors causes down regulation

Theoretically, it depends on the receptor. 5ht1a antagonists upregulate receptors over time but 5ht2a antagonists don't. However, pssd I believe is caused by permeant sert loss, so 5ht1a antagonism wouldn't upregulate receptors, but instead exacerbate the issue by blocking the little 5ht1a receptors left. The issue is excess serotonin in the synapses desensitizes receptors. 5ht1a antagonism doesn't remove serotonin from synapses so receptors will remain desensitized by serotonin.
So something like trazodone that blocks 5ht2a, b, and partially c would lower the amount of serotonin in the brain over time? Thanks for your response.
Tree

Unread post by Tree »

MisterCharlie wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:52 pm

So something like trazodone that blocks 5ht2a, b, and partially c would lower the amount of serotonin in the brain over time? Thanks for your response.
5ht2a antagonist might help but the issue with trazodone is it also agonizes the 5ht1a receptor. You risk making pssd worse with chronic use. It's better to try and upregulate sert.
MisterCharlie

Tree wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:50 pm

5ht2a antagonist might help but the issue with trazodone is it also agonizes the 5ht1a receptor. You risk making pssd worse with chronic use. It's better to try and upregulate sert.
Ive been trying seroquel occassionally for antagonizing d2,d3,d4 and been getting morning erections again after many years of not...what medication or class of medications would you recemmend I try or look into for sert upregulation? Its the first time Ive read that phrase. Ropinirole increased my penis sensivity and libido and erections for a week from one pill but its a dangerously toxic drug that hurt my eye sight and gave me serious, scary chest pains.
MisterCharlie

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/neuros ... 13/201909/
Brain SERT Expression of Male Rats Is Reduced by Aging and Increased by Testosterone Restitution
Tree

Unread post by Tree »

MisterCharlie wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:04 pm

Ive been trying seroquel occassionally for antagonizing d2,d3,d4 and been getting morning erections again after many years of not...what medication or class of medications would you recemmend I try or look into for sert upregulation? Its the first time Ive read that phrase. Ropinirole increased my penis sensivity and libido and erections for a week from one pill but its a dangerously toxic drug that hurt my eye sight and gave me serious, scary chest pains.
You just need to activate wnt/b signalling in the raphe which will upregulate sert. The problem is I don't know.what drugs or supplements do that.

Dopamine agonists are very dangerous. Dopamine is part of the problem but it's a downstream effect of 5ht1a desensitization. Dopamine release is inhibited when 5ht1a receptors are down regulated. Again, you need to sensitize 5ht1a receptors which can only be done by sert upregulation. It's all one big, fat catch 22.
MisterCharlie

Tree wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:36 am
MisterCharlie wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:04 pm

You just need to activate wnt/b signalling in the raphe which will upregulate sert. The problem is I don't know.what drugs or supplements do that.

Dopamine agonists are very dangerous. Dopamine is part of the problem but it's a downstream effect of 5ht1a desensitization. Dopamine release is inhibited when 5ht1a receptors are down regulated. Again, you need to sensitize 5ht1a receptors which can only be done by sert upregulation. It's all one big, fat catch 22.
Theres a list of Sert upregulators, check out my new post and comment if you can: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4846
GIXXER

Unread post by GIXXER »

Would taking a mdma test the SERT theory?
Tree

Unread post by Tree »

GIXXER wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:46 am Would taking a mdma test the SERT theory?
If you had a negative reaction, or serotonin syndrome, it would confirm that sert is not functioning properly.