Paroxetine effects in adult male rat colon: Focus on gut steroidogenesis and microbiota (Melcangi et al, 2022)

This is a place to post research you have done on the topic along with your conclusions.
anacleta

Paroxetine effects in adult male rat colon: Focus on gut steroidogenesis and microbiota (Melcangi et al, 2022)

Unread post by anacleta »

Abstract

Paroxetine, a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI), is prescribed to treat psychiatric disorders, although an off-label SSRI use is also for functional gastrointestinal disorders. The mutual correlation between serotonin and peripheral sex steroids has been reported, however little attention to sex steroids synthesized by gut, has been given so far. Indeed, whether SSRIs, may also influence the gut steroid production, immediately after treatment and/or after suspension, is still unclear. The finding that gut possesses steroidogenic capability is of particular relevance, also for the existence of the gut-microbiota-brain axis, where gut microbiota represents a key orchestrator. On this basis, adult male rats were treated daily for two weeks with paroxetine or vehicle and, 24 h after treatment and at 1 month of withdrawal, steroid environment and gut microbiota were evaluated. Results obtained reveal that paroxetine significantly affects steroid levels, only in the colon but not in plasma. In particular, steroid modifications observed immediately after treatment are not overlap with those detected at withdrawal. Additionally, paroxetine treatment and its withdrawal impact gut microbiota populations differently. Altogether, these results suggest a biphasic effect of the drug treatment in the gut both on steroidogenesis and microbiota.

https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psyneuen.2022.105828

From the paper:
Up to now, only sporadic self-reports on GI alterations, are present in the blog of patients (see for instance, www.reddit.com/r/PSSD/ or www.pssdforum.org). However, the finding that sexual dysfunction may be related to alterations in gut microbiota, may suggest the importance to evaluate the gut microbiota populations in PSSD patients.

This tells us that writing on public groups like this forum e the subreddit, joining forces and making ourselves heard, does not go unnoticed, and is taken into account by researchers.

In 'Funding sources' there is a thank you to the patients.

let's wait and see how Melcangi plans to continue the search... in the meantime, the gofund is always this https://www.gofundme.com/f/27l8qmes5c
Brain food

Re: Paroxetine effects in adult male rat colon: Focus on gut steroidogenesis and microbiota (Melcangi et al, 2022)

Unread post by Brain food »

Thank you for posting. This paper will appear in Volume 143 of Psychoneuroendocrinology, which is dated September 2022. Is the full paper available online or does it not come out until September?
temp2021

Re: Paroxetine effects in adult male rat colon: Focus on gut steroidogenesis and microbiota (Melcangi et al, 2022)

Unread post by temp2021 »

I don’t have access to the paper but I can see in the highlights that Pregnenolone levels increase upon withdrawal. Any idea why? I would expect the opposite. That would be more consistent with our symptoms.
GIXXER

Unread post by GIXXER »

It's awesome, IMO spreading awareness and activism is our best chance getting they help we need. My only question is why did they use paroxetine, and not Lexapro for the study. I believe Lexapro is one of the worst offenders for PSSD
Brain food

GIXXER wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:11 pm It's awesome, IMO spreading awareness and activism is our best chance getting they help we need. My only question is why did they use paroxetine, and not Lexapro for the study. I believe Lexapro is one of the worst offenders for PSSD
From what I can tell, the study isn't entirely related to PSSD. They say in the abstract that paroxetine is is also used for functional gastrointestinal disorders. I'm not sure if it's the best antidepressant for this purpose, but it's an off-label use so it hasn't been tested in clinical trials.
Brain food

GIXXER wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:11 pm It's awesome, IMO spreading awareness and activism is our best chance getting they help we need. My only question is why did they use paroxetine, and not Lexapro for the study. I believe Lexapro is one of the worst offenders for PSSD
Roberto Melcangi also released a study last year that used paroxetine and was focused on PSSD.

Effects of paroxetine treatment and its withdrawal on neurosteroidogenesis

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34325207/

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 0treatment.
Last edited by Brain food on Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
GIXXER

Unread post by GIXXER »

Oppps I thought this was Roberto Melcangi study
tonyareias

Unread post by tonyareias »

Paroxetine is the best SSRI for anxiety and gastrointestinal disorders. Also the worse for sex and withdrawal.