why i think 5ht1a desensitiation theory is wrong.

Post any data on Treatments and experimentation.
Chessboxin

Re: why i think 5ht1a desensitiation theory is wrong.

Unread post by Chessboxin »

jaiho wrote:Here's a short from a friend of mine on 200mg Zoloft:
"
Life is terrifying outside of my anhedonic bubble, even though I'm so grateful to feel things again. In fact, I might be feeling TOO much and expressing too much. Just yesterday I told someone that I loved them way too damn early and of course feel sick to my stomach with regret because it was too soon for them. They know about the depression, but I never mentioned not feeling feelings for large chunks of time. I think that feeling absolutely nothing makes emotions seem more intense once they finally come back. I also think that people can wrap their heads around feeling a "sad" depressed much easier than than feeling "blank.""

This goes against everything you read on the internet about SSRIs. Are you more likely to hear from the millions of people in remission, or the vocal minority on the forums, saying SSRIs will sexually & emotionally castrate you?

I mean, sure, its possible. But what if theres a med combo out there that works for everyone here on this forum, but stubborness & over researching on the internet kept us from remission?

I will no longer discount PSSD as existing but i think there needs to be further research on anecdotes on whether depression can induce gential numbness, which from my personal experience, it sure can.
We´re getting tired of this shit Jaiho, we´re not just a vocal minority and not hearing us but a "millions people on remission" is an insult. I´m done with that. I´m happy if that shitty SSRI worked with you, but for us, it caused ALL of these symptoms, and besides having to deal with these issues, we have to deal with a guy who says that isn´t real because you aren´t experiencing this. The symptoms that your friend describe aren´t even related to PSSD besides anhedonia, but we deal with a plethora of sexual symptoms, so get over it.

This will be my last response to you, because in a way you´re being disrespectful.
jaiho

Unread post by jaiho »

I dont mean to be disrespectful, im just saying i had the exact same thoughts & symptoms as everyone here and i recovered by putting my faith back into doctors. I just want to try and help some, because when people are close to suicide due to this disease, you need to branch out & try to bring hope to people.
fablecloth

Unread post by fablecloth »

jaiho wrote:fablecloth, my two ex gf's said i am sick, even though i felt OK and positive.
It was a gradual decline almost invisible to myself.
I can see how others might be able to notice a difference. What if no one does? So the individual doesn't and nor do any of their peers? Now perhaps they might be living life sub-optimally - as in, life could be better - but not by much, surely. And perhaps not enough to warrant going on medication, or if so, perhaps something mild, like St John's Wort.

jaiho wrote:Do you still have any anhedonia / emotional symptoms? Can't feel love/emotions as strongly as before?
I'm not as sensitive as I used to be, but I put that down to having overcome a lot of my anxiety and learning to be more thick-skinned. I still feel emotions - happiness, sadness, I can cry at terrible things, feel excitement, etc.

My symptoms are just the sexual dysfunction, memory fog, and tinnitus.

I'd love to emulate your success with meds, but I'm just too scared to try solely for PSSD when everything else (e.g. emotions) is otherwise intact.
Recovery

Unread post by Recovery »

Foxx wrote:
Fourth is why people on SSRIs don't have sexual dysfunction from very day 1 of treatment, since SERT is occupied at well..90%, even after two weeks when everything is downregulated and stuff is desensitized they're doing fine.
Just no.
We have to keep in mind that every person have a different amount of SERT. Therefore for one person it is insignificant even if SERT is downregulated 90 %. For the other person it is severe after only one pill.

As long as there is enough SERT, serotonin-clearance works fine and therefore 5HT-1a AR will not desensitize.

Just my opinion.

Recovery
Ghost

Unread post by Ghost »

Recovery wrote:
Foxx wrote:
Fourth is why people on SSRIs don't have sexual dysfunction from very day 1 of treatment, since SERT is occupied at well..90%, even after two weeks when everything is downregulated and stuff is desensitized they're doing fine.
Just no.
We have to keep in mind that every person have a different amount of SERT. Therefore for one person it is insignificant even if SERT is downregulated 90 %. For the other person it is severe after only one pill.

As long as there is enough SERT, serotonin-clearance works fine and therefore 5HT-1a AR will not desensitize.

Just my opinion.

Unless the g-proteins downstream of the AR aren't working. So I'm not sure what is the cause, but I think I also lean towards it maybe being SERT.
Recovery
- Medical Student & Friendly poltergeist - Lexapro Sept '14. [Hx] [PSSD Lab] [r/PSSD] [Treatment Plan] - Add "Ghost" in replies so I see it :)
Recovery

Unread post by Recovery »

Ghost wrote:
Recovery wrote:
Foxx wrote:
Just no.

Just my opinion.

Unless the g-proteins downstream of the AR aren't working. So I'm not sure what is the cause, but I think I also lean towards it maybe being SERT.
Recovery
I hope that SERT is the cause because it seems to me that it would be much easier to solve than an issue within the G-protein cascade.

The questions is what's the safest way to increase drastically and permanent.

I try to see an endocr. to speak about 17 BETA-Estradiol replacement.

As Zero (Foxx) mentioned, there is a study that showed it upregulate SERT drastically. The thing is that i am afraid of the downside-risks.

If SERT would be the cause, a PET-scan should be able to show and proof it if we are right.

Greetings
Recovery
Sonny

Unread post by Sonny »

jaiho wrote:I don't buy the 5ht1a AR desensitiation theory due to my own personal experience, as well as many people having recovered with a completely knocked out 5ht1a AR.
People regain sex drives due to years of depression, and if we use the current theory here that 5ht1a is permanently knocked down, increasing overall serotonin, then that would mean millions of people would have neutered sex drives while on SSRIs, which simply isn't true. Infact, many people get more sex drive after starting a pure SSRI.
What a giant vat of stupid. It's a rare disease. Are you familiar with difference in genes? Do you realize there is a gene that is responsible for the 5ht1a? Have you heard of....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_expression
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_genetic_variation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epigenetics

Something tells me you have not. We don't come off a fucking assembly line. We aren't a bunch of walking IKEA storage shelves.

Do some reading and stop wasting people's time.
Angrydude00

Unread post by Angrydude00 »

All of the PSSD theories are really impressive. The only thing I don't get is it's permanence. Where is the line between it coming back in a few months or lasting forever?
Jaxx

Unread post by Jaxx »

I am using Nortriptyline for a week now and my first impression is rather positive
Last edited by Jaxx on Thu May 04, 2017 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
jaiho

Unread post by jaiho »

What dose? Needs a good run at 75-100mg, it takes alittle longer than SSRIs to fully kickin.
A guy on the SA forum reports increased feelings of love to his family on 100mg Nortriptyline.