Some improvements with EGCG/green tea

Post any data on Treatments and experimentation.
Muhamur

Some improvements with EGCG/green tea

Unread post by Muhamur »

After reading a post here a while back, I started experimenting with EGCG. I've been taking about 1,800 mg of green tea extract daily for the past 6 weeks (I don’t think brand matters). I've noticed a subtle but consistently positive effect on libido, particularly the ability to get an erection from fantasizing or visual stimulation. It's not a cure-all, but it's the only supplement I've taken which has had a positive long-term effect on libido.

The theory proposed in the original post is that EGCG could reverse the gene silencing caused by SSRIs. I could not find any evidence to prove or disprove this theory, the literature I found only discussed EGCG's ability to reverse gene silencing caused by cancer. But reversal of gene silencing could be one mechanism of action. Alternately, EGCG is a COMT inhibitor, meaning it slows the degradation of dopamine and norepinephrine, which could also have a pro-libido effect.

Note that I have a relatively mild case of PSSD in that I have not lost sensitivity. However, my libido and sex drive has been very low since stopping Lexapro five years ago.

Just wanted to share in case it helps anyone. Please note if you choose to try this that EGCG can cause liver problems in certain individuals, though this seems to be rare.
sjv16477

Re: Some improvements with EGCG/green tea

Unread post by sjv16477 »

Have you ever tried to take SSRIs again? Have you ever took other kinds of medication?
Marksanchez397

Unread post by Marksanchez397 »

Hi Muhamur. Could you explain tour story? How Many time taking ssri? Sinthoms? How are your erections?...
Muhamur

Unread post by Muhamur »

I was on lexapro 10mg for about 7 years, then stopped. Sexual side effects were there but manageable while on lexapro but became worse off it. My PSSD has improved somewhat over the years but it really just goes in cycles, sometimes better sometimes worse. Erections are weak and difficult to maintain when symptoms are at their worst, but are almost normal occasionally.

I never tried taking SSRIs again.
Muhamur

Unread post by Muhamur »

sjv16477,
I realized I didn't fully answer your question. I have tried other medications: piracetam and choline (helps with erections but not libido), maca (helps a bit with libido), buspar (worked once then no effect), licorice root (no effect), nystatin (no effect), inositol (no effect), various vitamins and minerals (no effect), plus a number of other supplements which I can't recall at this point but generally had no positive effect. The EGCG and piracetam/choline have been the most effective treatments I've tried by far.
continue

Unread post by continue »

Muhamur wrote:sjv16477,
I realized I didn't fully answer your question. I have tried other medications: piracetam and choline (helps with erections but not libido), maca (helps a bit with libido), buspar (worked once then no effect), licorice root (no effect), nystatin (no effect), inositol (no effect), various vitamins and minerals (no effect), plus a number of other supplements which I can't recall at this point but generally had no positive effect. The EGCG and piracetam/choline have been the most effective treatments I've tried by far.
I was just like you. None of these had effects. Not even PIRACETAM/CHOLINE.

Then I did a 41-day fasting and several liver flushes. And now I can say inositol+nystatin+desmodium DO WORK with me.
I haven't tried piracetam/choline again.

I'll add now green tea (in the past, the only effect it had on me was penis size on relaxation)
Ghost

Unread post by Ghost »

I know that I've been a liver flush skeptic in the past, but I keep reading about it helping everywhere. Interesting.
- Medical Student & Friendly poltergeist - Lexapro Sept '14. [Hx] [PSSD Lab] [r/PSSD] [Treatment Plan] - Add "Ghost" in replies so I see it :)
Bigmum

Unread post by Bigmum »

Mahmur is it still working for you?
Sorry for my bad (terrible) English.
Angrydude00

Unread post by Angrydude00 »

It's always interesting to me that people have cyclical PSSD. I've never experienced that. I guess I could see it changing slightly as a result of mood or hormonal changes but if those receptors (or whatever is going on) aren't working, than PSSD shouldn't really cycle. At least, that seems logical to me.
Bigmum

Unread post by Bigmum »

It may be fluctuation in hormones that is more pronaunced when you ve got pssd....maybe, but reacion on visual stimulation is a very positive sign....imo....
Sorry for my bad (terrible) English.