Desensitized 5ht receptors - BrainFogBoy OP

This is a place to post research you have done on the topic along with your conclusions.
Moloch

Desensitized 5ht receptors - BrainFogBoy OP

Unread post by Moloch »

BrainFogBoy on Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:25 am
Can someone explain to me the significance of having these receptors Desensitized? Does it mean that they are not absorbing as much serotoning therefore leaving excess serotonin floating around thus having a negative impact on Dopamine and others?
Moloch

Re: Desensitized 5ht receptors - BrainFogBoy OP

Unread post by Moloch »

apachuri on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:13 pm
Each 5HT (or serotonin) receptor has a specific set of functions assigned to them. For example, one receptor may be responsible for sleep, apetite, nerve function, mood, anxiety, etc. Each receptor is either excitatory or inhibitory. When we take an SSRI, our synapses are flooded with serotonin, causing over saturation of all of the receptors. As a result of so much serotonin, our receptors will down-regulate to compensate. So suddenly the once delicate and intricate wiring of receptors and their correlation to bodily functions is completely out of whack (messed up). I spent the past few months with nerve pain, bouts of relapse anxiety/sexual function, digestive issues, etc. I've had weeks or days of hope where I would have some sexual function returning -- followed by a week or so of no libido at all. These receptors (for some people) take time to re-adjust. For others, the damage appears to be too extensive.