Neurosteroids in the brain

This is a place to post research you have done on the topic along with your conclusions.
anacleta

Neurosteroids in the brain

Unread post by anacleta »

Here in Italy we have a good doctor, Dr. Melcangi, who is investigating the post-finasteride syndrome with interesting results regarding neurosteroid levels in the brain (and in some patients with severe ED, neuropathy of the pudendal nerve):

http://www.pfsfoundation.org/tag/robert ... -melcangi/

The sexual symptoms of post-finasteride syndrome are really similar to those of pssd. Perhaps the two syndromes may have a similar etiology, even if triggered by drugs with different action.

Highly probable, soon Melcangi will begin an experimental study on mice to analyze neurosteroid levels in the brain after intake of SSRI.
This study will not include the observation of the sexual behavior of the mice (and thus the identification of the topics affected by PSSD).
If someone has funds to donate, the study may be more important.

I will link you two texts for those who want to deepen the knowledge of neurosteroids.

https://books.google.sm/books?id=3FJXUN ... ri&f=false read pag. 23.
It mentions the disturbance of persistent sexual arousal from ssri and reconnects it (but is a hypothesis) to allopregnalone (a major neurosteroid) levels in the brain.

And this interesting article: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.2 ... 05660/full

a curiosity (perhaps not relevant): Under the names brexanolone and SAGE-547, allopregnanolone is under development by SAGE Therapeutics as an intravenously administered drug. It is in the process of being approved.
nasibi

Re: Neurosteroids in the brain

Unread post by nasibi »

Short term adminstration of SSRIs increase neurosteroid levels. However long term they have the same effect as Finasteride i.e they lower neurosteroid levels. There have already been studies done on this, albeit on mice.

Prevention of the stress-induced increase in the concentration of neuroactive steroids in rat brain by long-term administration of mirtazapine but not of fluoxetine
In contrast, long-term administration (10 mg/kg i.p., once daily for 2 weeks) of fluoxetine, but not that of mirtazapine, induced marked decreases in the cortical and plasma concentrations of these neuroactive steroids.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12095071

Opposite effects of short- versus long-term administration of fluoxetine on the concentrations of neuroactive steroids in rat plasma and brain
A single dose of fluoxetine (20 mg/kg, i.p.) induced in 20 min significant increases in the cerebral cortical and plasma concentrations of 3alpha,5alpha-TH PROG (+96% and +13%, respectively), 3alpha,5alpha-TH DOC (+129 and +31%, respectively), progesterone (+111 and +58%, respectively), and pregnenolone (+151 and +59%, respectively). In addition, the plasma concentration of corticosterone was also significantly increased (+24%) after acute administration of fluoxetine. In contrast, long-term administration of fluoxetine reduced the basal concentrations of these various steroids (ranging from -22 to -43%), measured 48 h after the last drug injection, in both brain and plasma.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11685383

I am very intersted in neurosteroids, particularly Allopregnanolone. I have come up with a protocol to increase my neurosteroid levels. I will be starting it within a few weeks.
Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live. :(
Juvo

Unread post by Juvo »

nasibi wrote:Short term adminstration of SSRIs increase neurosteroid levels. However long term they have the same effect as Finasteride i.e they lower neurosteroid levels. There have already been studies done on this, albeit on mice.

Prevention of the stress-induced increase in the concentration of neuroactive steroids in rat brain by long-term administration of mirtazapine but not of fluoxetine
In contrast, long-term administration (10 mg/kg i.p., once daily for 2 weeks) of fluoxetine, but not that of mirtazapine, induced marked decreases in the cortical and plasma concentrations of these neuroactive steroids.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12095071

Opposite effects of short- versus long-term administration of fluoxetine on the concentrations of neuroactive steroids in rat plasma and brain
A single dose of fluoxetine (20 mg/kg, i.p.) induced in 20 min significant increases in the cerebral cortical and plasma concentrations of 3alpha,5alpha-TH PROG (+96% and +13%, respectively), 3alpha,5alpha-TH DOC (+129 and +31%, respectively), progesterone (+111 and +58%, respectively), and pregnenolone (+151 and +59%, respectively). In addition, the plasma concentration of corticosterone was also significantly increased (+24%) after acute administration of fluoxetine. In contrast, long-term administration of fluoxetine reduced the basal concentrations of these various steroids (ranging from -22 to -43%), measured 48 h after the last drug injection, in both brain and plasma.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11685383

I am very intersted in neurosteroids, particularly Allopregnanolone. I have come up with a protocol to increase my neurosteroid levels. I will be starting it within a few weeks.
Hi nasibi-

Can you post your protocol you came up with? This is an area that I'm higly interested in as I haven'theard too many mention trials of pregnenelone or 5adhp, etc.
Glitch

Unread post by Glitch »

I was literally Googling Allopregnanolone just hours before reading your post. I would also be interested in hearing abut your protocol.
nasibi

Unread post by nasibi »

I will keep you guys posted when I start the protcol.
Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live. :(
fablecloth

Unread post by fablecloth »

nasibi wrote:I will keep you guys posted when I start the protcol.
Please do. I'd also be keen to be kept informed of your progress.

Can you provide us with details of your protocol? What exactly does that involve? When does it begin, and when do you expect it to end?

Cheers
marsupial

Unread post by marsupial »

Again this may be redundant... I bet most of you already saw this arcticle http://peatarian.com/49614/benefits-dos ... osynthesis . As Timm Thaler summarized low dose experiment results:
cured:
- pete (Paxil)

improvements:
- fred1234 (venlafaxine)
- doit(fluvoxamine)

small improvements:
- gixxer (Paxil, Effexor)
- sadKeanu (lexapro)
- jaxx (Paxil+Buspar)
- electric16 (sertraline)

no success:
- north4 (Paxil)

worsening:
- jao765 (Paxil)
- sulawesi (Paxil)
- masupial (effexor)
- ssinus (sertraline)

So noone ever tried Fluoxetine? I will try sertraline low doses soon. Then I will probably move to Fluoxetine
Timm Thaler

Unread post by Timm Thaler »

I will try low dose Fluoxetine for two reasons:
a) it was the SSRI I was on.
b) because of the articles Jaxx posted on p 23 in the low dose SSRI thread, where they make the connection between low dosing SSRI (Fluoxetine in their case) and neurosteroids, namely allopregnanolone.

But before i start this trial, I will supplement Progesterone (found out that my level is practically non-existent) and Estradiol, which is also very low and see how this goes before I start adding low dosing Prozac.