Unread post by Bigmum »

Good idea...why not?
One of the best strategy IMO.
Sorry for my bad (terrible) English.
Jones

Re: RXISK Issues $100,000 Prize for the Cure For PSSD

Unread post by Jones »

Ok, my thoughts on this.

I too, like future-recovery, believe that 100,000$ is too little to raise any real interest from serious scientists or communities.

I also believe that in order to find a cure we need HUGE funding, as it is necessary to open and examine an under examined medical field(genes, neurosteroids etc)

Where i strongly disagree with future-recovery is :

1) "A cure will be a new medication"
No f*ckin way. No single pill can reverse the damage that has been done to us, like no single pill can reverse post concussion syndrome, m.s and or other complex neurological conditions. It would be more realistic to hope that we find the cause, and develop right strategies to bring our bodies near to normal again.

Also I dont thnik that every PSSD case is different to each other. It is that we havent found yet what we share.

2) "PFS and PSSD are not similar"
If you had done better research you would realise that LOTS OF PSSD sufferers (including myself) suffer from genital atrophy (including myself) and it is directly provoked by PSSD and not by chronic lack of erections or such issue.

Additionaly, if you look thoroughly through pfs forums you will realise that what is described as persisting depression is pretty much the emotional numbness and anhedonia that PSSD sufferers exprerience too.

PFS, PSSD, POST isotretinoin SYNDROME, PASD, and saw palmetto syndrome, all cause the EXACT SAME CORE of persistan symptoms and side effects.
If we find out the common mechanisms all these share, we will make a HUGE step forward to unlocking the whole mistery.

And last but not least, you dont have to be super rich to donate a few hundred $$ . I mean come on.
PSSD after 9 days on cipralex 10mg (escitalopram), July 2013.
Had sexual sides from the first dose. Developed full pssd after i stopped.
Slowly improved to 70% of normal within 3.5 years.
"Crashed" again on April 2017.
Severe pssd again.
gianno121

Unread post by gianno121 »

Jones wrote:Ok, my thoughts on this.

I too, like future-recovery, believe that 100,000$ is too little to raise any real interest from serious scientists or communities.

I also believe that in order to find a cure we need HUGE funding, as it is necessary to open and examine an under examined medical field(genes, neurosteroids etc)

Where i strongly disagree with future-recovery is :

1) "A cure will be a new medication"
No f*ckin way. No single pill can reverse the damage that has been done to us, like no single pill can reverse post concussion syndrome, m.s and or other complex neurological conditions. It would be more realistic to hope that we find the cause, and develop right strategies to bring our bodies near to normal again.

Also I dont thnik that every PSSD case is different to each other. It is that we havent found yet what we share.

2) "PFS and PSSD are not similar"
If you had done better research you would realise that LOTS OF PSSD sufferers (including myself) suffer from genital atrophy (including myself) and it is directly provoked by PSSD and not by chronic lack of erections or such issue.

Additionaly, if you look thoroughly through pfs forums you will realise that what is described as persisting depression is pretty much the emotional numbness and anhedonia that PSSD sufferers exprerience too.

PFS, PSSD, POST isotretinoin SYNDROME, PASD, and saw palmetto syndrome, all cause the EXACT SAME CORE of persistan symptoms and side effects.
If we find out the common mechanisms all these share, we will make a HUGE step forward to unlocking the whole mistery.

And last but not least, you dont have to be super rich to donate a few hundred $$ . I mean come on.
I aggree with THe Most of your points but im Sure genital atrophy Is caused by weak erections. All urologist confirmed that. We have no Full erections , even Not in THe Night and THe consequence is THe shrinkage.
fasttrack1982

Unread post by fasttrack1982 »

I don't think $100,000 will attract scientists who want to win the prize, but maybe it will draw more attention to the condition which in turn could lead to further research etc. I think $200 is a small investment given how shitty our current condition is. Until we have better options to put our money towards, its a start.
future-recovery

Unread post by future-recovery »

I just say that it is a waste of money in my opinion. You guys say it's just 200$, but in the end it's not unlikely that you need to pay much more if not enough people contribute. In the end you spend money for a syndrome that might have nothing to do with PSSD at all. I just say that one should collect 100.000$ for more useful things. The more you spend for Rxisk, the less you can spend for real PSSD research. Don't waste your money!
Don't complain when we can't fund a PSSD study next year because you spent your money for PFS research. Moreover you should be aware that funding PFS research likely won't increase awareness of PSSD.

And again I don't agree that PFS has the same symptomatology as PSSD. You can't just pick cases from forums that seem similar to PFS cases. Read the literature, there are nearly no PSSD cases with genital atrophy in the literature. Also no gynecomastia or Peyronie’s disease.
German fmri study about PSSD could be possible! Criteria: http://www.pssdforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1020
Send a mail to user sulawesi: sulawesi1@web.de
Ghost

Unread post by Ghost »

I hope my opinion means something to people.

It says that extra money will be given to PFS.

We are not PFS. I'm sorry, but we need to look out for ourselves if no one else will. Clearly we have been overlooked so far.

If I donated any money, I would want to fund PSSD. PFS already has articles. That NEEDS to change if the PSSD community funds him. Everyone needs to start writing Healy Immediately.

Until that is changed, keep your money close. We can take care of our own better than PFS foundation.

I'd rather have the money go to Melcangi, a leader in the field and willing to actually do a study that Coraggio and I support and understand.

I see what Healy is trying to do, and it's a great idea. I just think that Melcangi and Ulm are better sources for us to put money.
- Medical Student & Friendly poltergeist - Lexapro Sept '14. [Hx] [PSSD Lab] [r/PSSD] [Treatment Plan] - Add "Ghost" in replies so I see it :)
Juvo

Unread post by Juvo »

Ghost wrote:I hope my opinion means something to people.

It says that extra money will be given to PFS.

We are not PFS. I'm sorry, but we need to look out for ourselves if no one else will. Clearly we have been overlooked so far.

If I donated any money, I would want to fund PSSD. PFS already has articles. That NEEDS to change if the PSSD community funds him. Everyone needs to start writing Healy Immediately.

Until that is changed, keep your money close. We can take care of our own better than PFS foundation.

I'd rather have the money go to Melcangi, a leader in the field and willing to actually do a study that Coraggio and I support and understand.

I see what Healy is trying to do, and it's a great idea. I just think that Melcangi and Ulm are better sources for us to put money.
I concur with this. PFS reasearch might indirectly benefit the PSSD community (heck it could be the same "thing"). Until we know more its best to appreciate the similarities (ona side note, pssd people should be trying pfs remedies), but to be cautious not to lump all sexual disorders into one generic condition.

Ghost is right, PFS is miles ahead of PSSD in every category. We can't just bank on their research appyling to us.

Keep your money. It's better spent on experiments.
Bigmum

Unread post by Bigmum »

It sounds like you want to stay where you are....
If you don't want ....don't do it...but suggesting to people not to do it is bad idea...
Sorry for my bad (terrible) English.
IHateProzac

Unread post by IHateProzac »

Here is what I think. Its stupid but might work. We have lots of young PSSD sufferers. Some of whom have yet to start college. Money should be collected for few of them to study medical science and research into PSSD. At least they would have their hearts in it.
Juvo

Unread post by Juvo »

Bigmum wrote:It sounds like you want to stay where you are....
If you don't want ....don't do it...but suggesting to people not to do it is bad idea...
I think Ghost is saying save your money for this example and instead advocating donating to a pssd specific fund.

Like it said, more will go to PFS research. Who knows how much?