5-Ht1a autoreceptor

This is for hypothesis and even educated speculation.
marybanana

5-Ht1a autoreceptor

Unread post by marybanana »

Hi...I'm very confused. Isn't it a well known fact that 5-ht1a autoreceptor desensitization (which occurs from SSRI use) is a major cause of PSSD? Can't we upregulate this receptor somehow with an antagonist? I know that the 5-ht2c and 5-ht2a receptors paradoxically downregulate upon antagonism but wouldn't 1A receptors upregulate with antagonism? If not, is there any other possible way we can upregulate this stupid receptor? Everywhere I search it says "SSRIs desensitize the autoreceptor of 5-ht1a which may contribute to the delay of antidepressant action of SSRIs." With that receptor downregulated, too much serotonin is binding to the anti-sex postsynaptic 1A receptor and the other serotonin 1B, 2A, 1D etc receptors which cause sexual dysfunction. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Is there anything we can do to permanently resensitize this autoreceptor? (Not temporarily)
Coraggio

Re: 5-Ht1a autoreceptor

Unread post by Coraggio »

Good observation. Here we have talked a lot about this. Ghost has researched a lot about which protein are involved in the autoreceptor desensitization.
First, desensitization doesn' t mean downregulation. Second, autoreceptor desensitization is linked also with SERT downregulation and TPH 2 downregulation.
we need to find a way to resensitize autoreceptor 5ht-1a but, most important, we need to find a way to upregulate SERT. Life style like don' t snacking can upregulate SERT but also butyrate, a cholon microbiota fiber metabolite, can increase g protein receptor sensivity like 5-ht1a. this behaviour can do his part only in the long run maybe. Personally, I am following this way.

But, remember, this is only a small part of the puzzle. the biggest part is about neurosteroid imbalance that mess up every neurotransmitter system.
Numby

Unread post by Numby »

Could 5HT receptor agonists maybe activate/resensitize 5HT receptors? A few days ago I found this Wikipedia article: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-HT2C_receptor_agonist. It says that 5HT agonists (in general, although I could only find an article in 5ht2c agonists) could be involved in helping with sexual dysfunction. However, in Germany non of the listed meds is available. Has anyone outside Germany tried 5HT agonists? Do you think the approach is promising? I couldn’t find any information on this forum. If there is a post on this question please let me know. Also, feel free to delete this if it is complete nonsense from a scientific/medical point of view.
Whyme11

Unread post by Whyme11 »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroregeneration
Here is a link of neurones regeneration.It is Regenerated but at very slow rate.
https://askabiologist.asu.edu/regeneration